Can’t get 1st / second gear after clutch change.

Lambman420

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Booked the car in for a clutch change and all was well for about 600 miles.
Today I couldn’t get it in 1st or 2nd gear. Lever wouldn’t move far enough over to select gears.

I think I have sussed it there a pin missing, could anyone just confirm this for me please?

Also do I go back to the garage and be like look, you’ve messed this up?

Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• 340255EA-6B39-4613-87A7-6A5C16A6E91B.jpeg
    340255EA-6B39-4613-87A7-6A5C16A6E91B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 314
  • 382F27B2-FBC2-4EB9-9EA2-B46DB2B02E7B.jpeg
    382F27B2-FBC2-4EB9-9EA2-B46DB2B02E7B.jpeg
    827.6 KB · Views: 251
Hey guys,

Booked the car in for a clutch change and all was well for about 600 miles.
Today I couldn’t get it in 1st or 2nd gear. Lever wouldn’t move far enough over to select gears.

I think I have sussed it there a pin missing, could anyone just confirm this for me please?

Also do I go back to the garage and be like look, you’ve messed this up?

Thanks in advanced.
Hell yeah I would

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Now i would take it back snd plead ingnorance about the problem cause you mention you think it could be the pin then whats to say pin wasn't there when they installed new Clutch and you broke it, thats what there thinking would be so best they find problem for thereself .

I did go back there and he is adamant there is no pin. I have bought a clip from Audi and cannot for the life of me get it on.

I’ve ordered another part as well which should be here tomorrow. I’ve attached a couple more photos, one photo is the clip Audi supplied me with, the other is what I believe is broken

Attachments

• 7816E9A3-11DC-40AC-8805-D212299D97E4.jpeg
    7816E9A3-11DC-40AC-8805-D212299D97E4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
  • 1AD8751D-C72F-4905-927C-BF3FB167BD2E.jpeg
    1AD8751D-C72F-4905-927C-BF3FB167BD2E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 191
what engine is in this? ill try and upload a pdf of the gear linkage

Awesome thanks! Clearly looks like mine is
Broken then, going to pick up a new relay lever as we speak

I have picked up the part and it looks completely different for a start I have put it all back together and everything is completely mis aligned worse than before

If you have used the same part number the part should be identical.
Could you refer to your own photos to get things aligned correctly.
It maybe that the garage disconnected the shifter cable end brackets from the gear cables although they don’t need to do this and then we’re not able to realign properly.
With the clips removed and the gear cable end brackets disconnected from the shifter bracket can you manually move the shifter bracket to find first and second gear?
Normally the hardest gears to get right are first and second.
So if this is the case you may have to get a gear cable reset done. This involves locking the gear box and also the gear knob before reclamping the shifter cable end links/brackets so the gear cables are exactly the correct length to allow selection of all gears.

Last edited:
Manged to get it all aligned, and all is well at the moment, I did notice however the lever that selects the gear in the engine bay, where it connects to the pinion shaft on the gearbox it is missing a tooth, so maybe this hasn’t help exactly with the alignment

The missing tooth part of the bracket normally lines lines up with a similar section on the shaft coming up out of the gearbox. On some it is like 2 of the splines are welded together to match up with what looks likes a missing tooth on the bracket.
Be very careful not to over tighten the 13mm nut holding the shifter bracket on as it can snap the shaft so this would be a massive disaster!!

Oh so it is meant to have a missing tooth? Maybe what I have done then is just not aligned it properly, I have done it up pretty tight

Look for some YouTube videos on swooping the shifter bracket for a short shifter. Some mention thecorrect torque to use.