Camouflaged Remap

I am guessing Audi uses FASTA data like BMW to detect changes from standard ?

A map will show increased boost / advanced timing, etc in the FASTA data but a tuning box fools the ECU so it won't show that. I had forgotten the gearbox torque ! FASTA would show gearbox torque running a lot higher and that's your warranty gone I guess.

I have a BMW but it is staying standard. I have mapped cars outside warranty but put them back to standard before I sold them. Hadn't really thought re the next owner and a used warranty for them. Oops !

What a lovely chap you are, I couldn’t be happy knowing somebody has a potential huge bill on their hands when it goes bang.

I'm assuming you've had a bad experience of Audi dealerships then ?

You seem very critical of them.

That comment was tongue in cheek, Just being sarcastic. I’m new to Audi and my experience hasn’t been too bad so far. My main Audi gripe to date is cost of servicing, as it seems to be around a 15% premium to my previous AMG.

It often comes down to the individuals you deal with that dictates if you have a good or bad experience. But I have noticed that some places have a poor culture so I always try to do a little research first And avoid those places.

I’ve only had the car for a little over a year and I generally keep them for two years so time will tell if Audi delivers to my expectations.

What a lovely chap you are, I couldn’t be happy knowing somebody has a potential huge bill on their hands when it goes bang.

I am a nice chap as it goes, but as usual on this forum, like when I was looking to buy an RS3, I found comments bitchy. Good to see you are keeping up the good work.

Maybe my post gave the impression I took the map off the day before it went - I didn't. One was mapped for all of 5 days ... it was Superchips on a 320d. I didn't like it so took it off and got a refund.

The other was for maybe 2 months and again, as a diesel, I didn't like it so off it came. In 4 years of ownership of that car with the rest being standard telling a dealer it had been mapped for a short period was not high on my list of things to do. If they'd of asked I'd of told them it had been for a short time, simples.

I am a nice chap as it goes, but as usual on this forum, like when I was looking to buy an RS3, I found comments bitchy. Good to see you are keeping up the good work.

Maybe my post gave the impression I took the map off the day before it went - I didn't. One was mapped for all of 5 days ... it was Superchips on a 320d. I didn't like it so took it off and got a refund.

The other was for maybe 2 months and again, as a diesel, I didn't like it so off it came. In 4 years of ownership of that car with the rest being standard telling a dealer it had been mapped for a short period was not high on my list of things to do. If they'd of asked I'd of told them it had been for a short time, simples.

Fair enough, I might have bit then but really don’t like that people sell on cars hiding the history whether it’s back to the dealer or s private sale. Agree it’s the buyers responsibility to ask and maybe some are just to naive.

I wouldn’t say my comment is bitchy, just tired off people wanting the best of both world then expecting a company to pick up the pieces, all it does is inflate prices for others.

Fair enough, I might have bit then but really don’t like that people sell on cars hiding the history whether it’s back to the dealer or s private sale. Agree it’s the buyers responsibility to ask and maybe some are just to naive.

I wouldn’t say my comment is bitchy, just tired off people wanting the best of both world then expecting a company to pick up the pieces, all it does is inflate prices for others.

Ok, I get your point.

I haven't touched a car since 2012. Quite often the standard car seems a nicer drive - thus my E92 330d map didn't last despite costing me a lot from DMS. I am intrigued by how the manufacturers stop people fiddling, thus my interest as so many mapping companies seem to tout the 'it's invisible' sales line.

Ok, I get your point.

I haven't touched a car since 2012. Quite often the standard car seems a nicer drive - thus my E92 330d map didn't last despite costing me a lot from DMS. I am intrigued by how the manufacturers stop people fiddling, thus my interest as so many mapping companies seem to tout the 'it's invisible' sales line.

I don’t think anything is invisible these days, it’s funny how these companies all quote completely safe etc etc but won’t give you any kind of cover should it go wrong.

I am guessing Audi uses FASTA data like BMW to detect changes from standard ?

A map will show increased boost / advanced timing, etc in the FASTA data but a tuning box fools the ECU so it won't show that. I had forgotten the gearbox torque ! FASTA would show gearbox torque running a lot higher and that's your warranty gone I guess.

I have a BMW but it is staying standard. I have mapped cars outside warranty but put them back to standard before I sold them. Hadn't really thought re the next owner and a used warranty for them. Oops !
Not just gearbox recorded torque......... some people forget that most remaps remove the 155mph speed limiter and up engine rpm redline too........ and if the owner tests the top speed of the car (say anything north of 175mph) it's easy to see max mph/kph which exceeds the factory limiter.
Overall, Audi will only look for these things if you bring a car in with something expensive that's gone bang and you expect warranty cover to fix it. Given the popularity of remapping and other mods it's hardly surprising that Audi are becoming less tolerant of repairing broken parts on modded cars.

Reactions: EVO855
Not just gearbox recorded torque......... some people forget that most remaps remove the 155mph speed limiter and up engine rpm redline too........ and if the owner tests the top speed of the car (say anything north of 175mph) it's easy to see max mph/kph which exceeds the factory limiter.
Overall, Audi will only look for these things if you bring a car in with something expensive that's gone bang and you expect warranty cover to fix it. Given the popularity of remapping and other mods it's hardly surprising that Audi are becoming less tolerant of repairing broken parts on modded cars.
Tbf though the standard car will go past the limiter in 6th ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

It's been a while since anyone was writing something in this topic but I thought I'll place my question here instead of starting a new topic.

I've bought my Audi S3 from dealership in February as an Approved Used car. Everything ticked off and bought the car. Everything is OK with the car so far but I have a suspicion that it might have been remapped in the past and sold/px'd without declaring it at the time of sale. Now I got the car and if it has had any ECU/TCU mods in the past and I need any warranty work during my ownership I'll be screwed and flagged with TD1.
I went for Audi Approved car to avoid buying a car with previous mods as I was looking for a completely stock vehicle.

What's your opinion about this situation?

I've bought my Audi S3 from dealership in February as an Approved Used car. Everything ticked off and bought the car. Everything is OK with the car so far but I have a suspicion that it might have been remapped in the past and sold/px'd without declaring it at the time of sale. Now I got the car and if it has had any ECU/TCU mods in the past and I need any warranty work during my ownership I'll be screwed and flagged with TD1.
I went for Audi Approved car to avoid buying a car with previous mods as I was looking for a completely stock vehicle.
What's your opinion about this situation?
AFAIK Any alteration or checksum will have a time or mileage stamp so if it is before you got the car you are fine, dealer problem.

AFAIK Any alteration or checksum will have a time or mileage stamp so if it is before you got the car you are fine, dealer problem.
I've asked guys at REVO and they said that there is no date stamp in the ECU to be able to tell when the modification has been done. Couple other mappers confirmed the same thing.

I've asked guys at REVO and they said that there is no date stamp in the ECU to be able to tell when the modification has been done. Couple other mappers confirmed the same thing.

Being really cynical I would say the tuners would say that but they are not likely to offer any guarantees if it goes wrong.

I agree there will be no date stamp, and I have not seen a time on any scans I have done on a VAG car. However a lot of module coding has a mileage reading (in KMs) attached to them. I would say the ECU is likely the same but I don't have access to ODIS to see the checksum data.

There is also the possibility that the time and date data is stored remotely as the TD1 flag is put on when the checksum is different to what was previously stored in the system.

It may not be recorded if the car has been tuned since the car was last connected to the system at a dealer.