CAMBER STEER

brianalexander1

Reaction score
Hi, can some one ansaw me this....
"Camber Steer " Got a A4 1.8t s-line 2004 with 18in rims AND 235/ 40 P ZERO'S as standard.
Has anybody experianced this and if so did you solve the problem.
I'm finding that it worse under heavy breaking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I'm not sure I understand your question... Are you talking about "tramlining", whereby the front wheels decide to go wherever they want, like a hunting dog on a leash?

Big wheels, wide tires and stiff sidewalls help this problem develop, which will be compounded by ageing dampeners and bushings. Has your A4 covered many miles?

That's where I'd start looking.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I took my 01 A4 back to the dealer for the tracking to be fixed as the car would drift to the left. They checked the tracking and alignment, and they were perfect. The dealer explained that the A4 was sensitive to the camber of the road, and that was what was causing the drift to the left. Funny thing was, when I changed to symmetrical tyres, the drift dissapeared. Dunno if this helps.
But you say that it is worse under braking, are your tyre presures correct. If your left front tyre is under pressure, that will cause the car to pull to the left. Also, a sticking brake pad will pull the car to the side.

CHEERS FOR THE RESPONSE. ANSWER TO YOU QUESTIONS IS NO IT HAS'NT DONE A LOT OF MILES ITS ON A 04 PLATE WITH 18000 ON THE CLOCK, PURCHASED FROM DEALER, WITH FULL HISTORY AND I'VE DONE 8000 OF THEM, TYRE PRESURES ARE OK

I had a similar thing when I ran Dunlops on 17 inch wheels but after changing to the wheels and tyres you have ( 18 inch S-lines with P-Zero Rosso's ), it is very much better. The car still 'tramlines' a little but nothing like as bad. What pressures are you running ? The quattro saloon version of your car should be 35 psi all round but I don't know what the 2wd pressures should be. Really, It can only be tyre pressure, tracking/alignment or suspension and with the mileage, I would still strongly suspect pressures.

How about the gauge you are using to check the tyre pressures.......is that accurate because 90% of them aren't !!

[ QUOTE ]
CHEERS FOR THE RESPONSE. ANSWER TO YOU QUESTIONS IS NO IT HAS'NT DONE A LOT OF MILES ITS ON A 04 PLATE WITH 18000 ON THE CLOCK, PURCHASED FROM DEALER, WITH FULL HISTORY AND I'VE DONE 8000 OF THEM, TYRE PRESURES ARE OK

[/ QUOTE ]

Ssssshhhhhh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The tyre gauge is accurate and the pressures are spot on.
It's fine on the motorway but crap on B roads.

THANK'S FOR THE THAT, I HAD TOYED WITH THE IDEA OF CHANGING TO A DIFFERENT TYRE WITH A DIAGONOL PATTEN INSTEAD OF A RADIAL.