Cambelt Kit - Gen Audi or MotorFactors/Ebay ??

lgooch

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Need to get my cambelt done and been quoted £ 280 for the tensioner, belt, aux belt, water pump and G12. These are dealer parts.

Went looking on ebay and spotted the cam belt kit and water pump (without the G12 and Aux belt) for aroudn £110. This was for a gates belt.

The tensioner might be a cheap chinese copy and likewise with the water pump.

Thoughts ? Would you risk it to make the saving ? Anyone with experience of motor factor parts quality and issues ?

Need to get my cambelt done and been quoted £ 280 for the tensioner, belt, aux belt, water pump and G12. These are dealer parts.

Went looking on ebay and spotted the cam belt kit and water pump (without the G12 and Aux belt) for aroudn £110. This was for a gates belt.

The tensioner might be a cheap chinese copy and likewise with the water pump.

Thoughts ? Would you risk it to make the saving ? Anyone with experience of motor factor parts quality and issues ?
God no

Cambelt and waterpump kit cost 227 for my s3 8p

And 164 for the cam chain and tensioner kit

S3 uses both togother belt and chain weired setup dont ask lol.
Git my parts from akstuning which use gen part from audi maybe be cheaper then dorect audi parts as they buy in bulk but never go the chinesse replica cheap part on engine components not worth the 20-30 quid saving as it'll cost you a new engine plus labour which is like 2-3k

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: lgooch
I stuck to Audi parts when I had my S3 done last year.

yes, but not from sketchy sources on ebay. if its a big seller on ebay, like an audi or skoda dealer selling on ebay, or ecp or something then thats ok, but a small time operation na.

check out autodoc, or mister auto. use brands that are well known for timing belts/waterpumps eg. ina, continental, gates, dayco etc. one, or most likely a combination of those brands, makes the parts for vag anyway.

as a comparison, i looked up the prices on autodoc for a waterpump and timing belt kit for a 2.0tdi with the bmn engine code (assuming this is for the 8p in your sig).
an ina kit is £112 inc waterpump, belt, tensioner.

oem prices from etka
belt 03G109119 £85.92
pump 03L121011G £67.30
tensioner 03G109243 £106.88

so the price of £280 inc the coolant and aux belt for 'genuine' parts isnt that bad, but compared to aftermarket oem parts, its expensive. an aux belt is like a tenner from the like of gates, dayco etc. friend of mine is doing up his tt 2.0tfsi with a k04 turbo etc, gonna run about 340bhp and i was asked to find the parts for him. he bought an ina kit.

Normally you'll find some VW Group parts depts. have these genuine items in their eBay shops at competitive prices. For example, Stafford Audi or
TL Darby. They don't seem to have any listed at present though, but it'd be worth giving them a call.
You might find that the genuine water pump is an exchange item, you'll get any surcharge back when you return the old one.

Alternatively, you could get a Conti-Belt kit from a motor factors. I've found these to be a decent quality known brand.

Avoid any unknown brands, it's just not worth it for critical engine parts.

Re-read the quote and it was £ 240 for dealer parts - Delivered to my house. Car is a CFFB engine code which appears to be a little more expensive.

GSF Parts
Cambelt Kit £ 147 (INA Brand)
Premium Water Pump - £ 40
G12 Coolant - £ 20
Aux Belt - £ 13

total of £ 220

Hardly seems worth the hassle and the £ 240 was about right.

INA are definitely a supplier of timing belt tensioners to VW group. I've changed a good few belt kits where both INA and VW is stamped on the tensioner.

Re-read the quote and it was £ 240 for dealer parts - Delivered to my house. Car is a CFFB engine code which appears to be a little more expensive.

GSF Parts
Cambelt Kit £ 147 (INA Brand)
Premium Water Pump - £ 40
G12 Coolant - £ 20
Aux Belt - £ 13

total of £ 220

Hardly seems worth the hassle and the £ 240 was about right.
I’d recommend getting a price from autodoc. Use the app as it’s slightly cheaper and it will fetch up all the different brands that supply those parts for your car so you can price up any brand you want.
I’d definately get the aux belt done while you’re at it aswell.