Cambelt jumped two teeth !!!!

boomtown

Reaction score
Any possible damage ?, water pump seized, car was turned off immeadieatly, garage said they can retime hopefully
audi a4 3.0 quattro

What speed was you doing?

Probably damaged inlet valves, might be easier to fit a recon head instead of taking it to pieces

Only about 5mph !, i reckon i should be fine, you never know though, at least the insurance comp is paying !

The slower the speed, the less damage. I'd be surprised if it was damage free even at 5mph.

Definitely worth getting it fully checked over. If any of the valves are bent you'd hear a tapping noise on tickover. But I'd get it towed to be looked at

oh dear. best to get a new belt on it, all timed up correctly then do a compression test. if the compressions seem fine then go ahead and build it up and start it.
if the compressions arn't ok then its pretty pointless building it up as the relavent head will need removing to fit new valves. just put it together to the point where you can safely crank it on the starter.

also i wouldnt start if its got suspected bent valves. the heads of the bent valves might snap off and cause major piston/head damage!

Reactions: VagPro
Well everything changed and all ok, no damage occured !!!
bit of a belt type noise from engine bay though, is this normal ?, maybe just the new belt etc

I pulled off at less than 5mph into a roundabout when my timing belt tensioner bolt snapped....and it bent every thing! Had all valves etc replaced and the head was sent of to be reconditioned..... so im guessing jumping teeth would do similar at that speed. Sorry to blow that on you but if your not paying thats a bonus

Garage said it was all spot on an running fine, just took it out for a 50 mile run, and i agree !
guess i was very lucky !!

if i were you id go fill out a lottery ticket incase your luck hasnt run out just yet lol...............

bit of a belt type noise from engine bay though, is this normal ?, maybe just the new belt etc

belt noise? not unusal for a new belt rollers etc to be slightly noisy as it settles in. it'll either wear off or get worse. if its not disapeered in 100 miles or so then get it checked. better safe than sorry! could be something like a belt cover not fitted right.

but you might be imagining it as its all been apart for the belt changed.
i mean before this happened, did you ever really have the bonnet up while its running and taking notice of the noises it made?