Cambelt interval

666markyboy

Reaction score
Was surprised to read in my service manual last night that the recommended millage for changing the cambelt on the 2.0 Tdi is 133,000 miles and on the TFSI is 114,000 miles with no mention of age , these are significantly higher intervals than they used to be back in my younger days, anyone had one fail on lower millage ???

Personally, I would stick with 75,000 miles or 5 years. Rubber deteriorates with age, and if the car has a 15 year old belt with only 80,000 miles on it, it's probably about to snap! Mileage is not the only factor.

Problem is Audi and everyone are trying to make their cars "look" cheap to maintain. So they put these high mileage belt changes, "sealed for life" gearbox oils, diff oils and even power steering fluids! Then do long life servicing.

Yeah, on that kind of regime the car will last well past warranty, (engine warranty is only 60,000 miles anyway IIRC), but when it goes pop later down the line it's not their problem, so they don't care.

If you want to look after your car, change out those "sealed for life" fluids once in a while and change your timing belt & water pump every 75,000 miles or 5 years, whatever comes first.

Reactions: Ioan Furdui and 666markyboy
I had my 2012 2.0tdi belt changed, before I sold it, 48,000 but as it was 5 years old I had it done, much cheaper than the damage repair bill if it snapped.

JG

4 years or 60,000miles for me. For the same of the parts £125 from the dealer....its a no brainer. far cheaper to replace the belt than pay out £1000's for a engine

I had mine done at about 133,000. The belt that came off looked fine but you have to weigh the cost against piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first, modern belts are not what they used to be, they can last ages. besides, it's very uncommon for the belt to snap, it's very uncommon. most problems as a result of not replacing the belt on time are due to other parts, like the tensioner.

I think if you replace it every 100000 miles, you should be ok. on a 2.0 TDI, the official interval is 115000 miles...