Cambelt/Camchain query on S4

mrbubba

Reaction score
Straight after buying my 2010 S4 Avant, I went down to my local Audi dealer to enquire about the cambelt. I was told that it needs changing every 5 years, or 120k miles. As it was over 5 years, I booked it in.
Drop it off today and leave in the loan car, a rather nice Q3.

A few hours later, get a call from the service department, apologising to me, as my car actually has a Camchain and not a belt! They've checked everything and it's all in good condition and there's no charge for the inspection or the loan car.

So now I'm slightly confused, as when I did my research before buying, I was under the impression the V8 had the chain and the V6 supercharged version, had a belt.

Is the chain prone to failing? I've heard horror stories about the V8 and the huge bill replacing the chain and tensioner's

At least I'm £750 better off today

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Just goes to show how incompetent the dealerships are!

If they don't know that an engine that they've been servicing best part of 10yrs is chain driven, what else could they miss, not know or give improper advice on?

I'd get onto Audi uk if I was you and kick up a fuss, tell them you've lost faith in them and maybe they'll show you some good will come your next service.

There have been stories surfacing recently about rattle on start up, I wouldn't worry about it though. I've had my b6 s4 10yrs now, it's always rattled briefly on start up and it's never bothered me. Change your oil every year and you should be fine

Reactions: mrbubba
93k on my s4 and no chain problems, just keep up with oil changes and you'll be fine

Change your oil every year and you should be fine

To be honest, on a performance engine I would opt for every 6 months or 4500 miles just like Mitsubishi recommend on their Evo's. Sure it's a bit overkill, but if you DIY it can be done for as little as £60-£70, do it twice a year and its under £150 a year in oil changes. Definitely worth it for the price.

Audi garages man haha! Oh and it would have substantially more than £750 to do the chains and tensioners.

Reactions: Chop.
I had the tensioner pulley changed on mine by Audi under warranty, glad it was as it was an engine out job.

Definately a chain, I asked what the lifespan of them was and they said the chain never needs changing.

2010 S4

Reactions: Chop.