Cam or Alternator Belt gone?

Nickl

Reaction score
I've just gone to reverse into the garage and as I started to reverse the car made a horrible screeching noise, DIS said turn off engine, low oil pressure. Immediately turned the engine off, opened the bonnet to what looks like the alternator belt has completely shredded… engine bay was roasting hot, but checked oil levels and everything seems fine there. No oil under the car either…

Not planning to try and start it until it's at a garage, car is a 2014 S3 8V

Here's a pic of the engine bay:

belt.jpg

Any ideas? The car had an oil service less than 1000 miles ago, and also had a new battery…

Going to phone the garage tomorrow, but would be good to hear some theories!

Reactions: MikeParkin
Bit of digging around suggests it might be the serpentine belt? but does this explain the oil message?

Managed to strip the remains of most of the belt, and it looks like the pulley has actually come away from where it usually sits, then the heat of the surrounding components has melted the belt? Notice it looks like it's taken out a wire too, far left side you can see some bare wire, wonder if this is an oil sensor and could explain the low pressure message?

belt2.jpg

Last edited:
Had a look this morning when the engine has cooled off and from what I can tell it looks like the Alternator pulley has slipped off, which has then caused the serpentine belt to melt/snap.

Looks like the pulley hit the wind screen washer water reservoir, and took out that small wire which i'm yet to work out what it was, hoping it's an oil sensor which would then explain the DIS message, anyone have any idea what it could be?

You may be right pal. Seems very strange for that to happen.

Is there anything on like a diagram to see what wire etc that actually is ?