Cam follower

M

mjr901

Just been on the MkV Forum and they've got a thread about these 'cam followers'.

thought Id share this picture, as it shows wear very nicely.

tsvw20tcam.jpg

To view the actual thread, go here....Cam follower - you're all perverts!

Reactions: K.A

Forbzeeee

VCDS Map User
Good find mjr901

crunchie

Interesting reading. Bit paranoid now. Only 25k on the clock but I think I'll still get it done at next service.

Cheers for the heads up :)

jaydav2306

Are these usually only prone to going on mapped motors? I think I will change mine at my 40K service as it's a cheap part, will it be easy for an Indy to change this?

Also can someone please add the part number for the S3 for cam follower in this thread?

EDIT: This is the part number you need for an Audi OEM Cam Follower 06D 109 309C

Last edited:

OVRA3

Had mine done on my a3 2.0 tfsi at 68000 and the old one wasn't too worn changed it anyway, not a big job at all.

M

mjr901

**update**

Useful video on how to change one of these.

Last edited by a moderator:

downtothebone

I was recently at AMD and they have seen a marked increase in cam follower failures on uprated engines ...

NCRAW

Had my cam follower replaced after 50,000 km. 5000 km on stock, 35000 km on stage 1 apr and 10000 km on stage 2. Mine looked better than the safe one (one on left). Have not checked the new one. Been there for 10000 km on 2+. It all depends how u drive and how much boost u request on daily basis. Afterall it's the same whether u have stock or stage 3 if u nurse it and never request boost hard. But good post to remind people to check.

Reload

Bird is the Word!
Quite right, never harms to check. If you have a modded engine with a high pressure fuel pump its worth checking more often as this puts more pressure on the follower and can wear it quicker

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
I change mine every oil service, its a cheap enough part and gives you piece of mind.

NCRAW

I'm gonna check mine next service which is due in 300kms (61,000km). I shall ask for pics from my mechanic.