Cam Follower Problem - 2.0T

ENZO

Reaction score
I recently had my car checked over at a garage and found my cam follower as worn down, not only that but its damaged the cam. Was told its a common problem with the 2.0T so i would suggest you to check yours if you haven't in a while.

Replaced the follower for now but eventually gonna need the new cam, anyone got a rough price for this?
and has this happened to anyone else?

get a used head and recondition it i think it will be cheaper for you, unsure though how much new cams are worth but its worth ringing TPS or awesomegti as they deal with them too and getting an asking price.. if i were you though as you be having head work done id try porting or getting a good valve train kit :)

Reactions: ENZO and S3Alex
new cam is about £260 for the latest revision

by the time you've bought head, bolts, gasket, oil, coolant etc etc you may aswell swap the cam out. it's not too bad of a job.

Olly

Reactions: ENZO
if i were you though as you be having head work done id try porting or getting a good valve train kit :)

i wouldnt know where to get one or what to get, any examples ? :)
how would that improve the performance?

i wouldnt know where to get one or what to get, any examples ? :)
how would that improve the performance?

Alex can help on this one, but as the stock A3 more than the S3 the valve springs and retainers become weak once you rev it over 6-7 rpm and the risk of bending valves.. so getting a ferrea kit with titanium springs and retainer kit with inconel valves lets you rev the engine all the he way to 8.6 K rpm without have trouble to start with.. crucial mod fir any BT build really , as for porting it , you will have great flow throughout the engine which can give you a gain of 30-40 bhp mind you thats not bad add the valve train (+1mm oversize) and you got a ****** solid head .. all you would need are arp main bolts pistons rods and corresponding bearings and your engine is good for BT :p (600-700 bhp)

here is the linky .. i think badger 5 might have some for sale as he is a distributor, either that or ask S3Alex where he got his i know AMD did most of his work,, he would be clued up more as to where to sorce the parts, not sure if you pay VAT on Imports in OZ. if its under 600 pounds its free of VAT/tax.. and you guys have a free trade agreement so that might help as the parts or manufactured in the US

Integrated Engineering

Last edited:
Thanks guys I'm gonna have a look into it.
I'll contact statller in Sheffield see if they can do something like this.

no worries mate, i hope you end up getting the valve train kit and porting you'll be happy with 120% its the founding stones for any BT build :D:D best of luck too hope you take that route too you'll be proper proud me thinks .. oh and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

This happened to my mk5 gti the other day after i was experiencing a sort of limp mode problem for a few seconds between 4-5k revs, I had a word with Steve jr at stattlers and he advised me not to drive the car and if am planning on tuning the car then to buy the s3 intake camshaft as it has a longer lift or something along them lines, so I fitted a new follower and have it parked up atm while the intake camshaft ordered from tps is on back order and they have no idea when it will arrive :( btw the intake camshaft is £252 including vat. P.s whilst the mechanic will be at it i will be changing the cambelt kit/water pump.