Cam chain tensioner.

Lee Goodall

Reaction score
Sounds like my cam chain tensioner is in need of replacement.

I'm getting a fairly load metallic sound from above the tensioner/chain so I'm guessing the tensioner/chain guide is worn.

I will take the rocker cover off and check but I'm fearing the worst.

I'll probably do the work myself to save £££s.. anybody got any tips, things to look out for etc?

If anybody has had it done at a garage what's the going rate?

Cheers.

It's quite easy mate, need to remove the inlet cam to fiddle it out, It is a fiddle without removing the exhaust cam, but it can be done. That way the belt doesnt need to be touched. The part brand new from a stealers is only £90 iirc. If you look at the old one and the pad is in good condition, it could be that the gauze screen is clogged as you have already changed the oil pump for the same reason.

You have my number mate, gimme a shout if i can help at all

I run flushing oil before every oil change. It seems to have got progressively worse/louder.. remember we commented on it at GTI Spring Fest at Pod. I've done a couple of flushes since then but it's not improved.

What's the crack with the gauze screen?.. can it be cleaned/replaced without too much hassle?

I changed the oil pump because it was too worn to get any decent pressure when warm. The pick-up was clear when I checked it.

Does anybody know the part number for the cam chain tensioner (1996 - AEB engine)?

VAGCAT indicates that there might be a few variations? :think:

Lee... think yourself lucky you don't have a V6 that needs a cam chain tensioner. My old A8 needed one... they were £310 + VAT from the stealer!

I managed to find a 2nd hand part for £70. Still hurt though!

True.. could've been much worse.

Still seems like a lot of money when you consider you can buy a high mileage A4 for about £400 at the mo lol.

The later 1.8T's also have VVT and they too have the super expensive tensioner, dont think the B5 had any of those though.