CAM CHAIN TENSIONER?

stoop44rio

Reaction score
Hi, just picked up an 1.8T APU, with a bit of engine trouble. It had flashed the oil light a few times when driving and when the sump was dropped the oil pick up had blocked. This was cleaned out but now theres a noise from the engine, it sounds a bit rough like a diesel. Is this most likey the cam chain tensioner and would it likely to have been damaged by the low oil pressure? And whats the best way of checking if its operating as normal or not?? Thanks.* Noise is definately coming from the rear of cylinder head*

Last edited:
Can't say what the problem is for deffo but a failing chain tensioner does make it sound dieselish. If the tensioner is away then the rattling noise will be specifically coming from the back of the head. The plastic runner on the bottom of mine had totally disintegrated an the chain was running on and wearing through the metal plate!

have you run the engine properly? or just started it on the drive?

If its been sludged enough to block the pickup its likely the whole engine is gunked up with ****e. You may be able to clear it out using regular oil changes or perhaps a diesel flush though.

As for the rattling, my rebuilt 1.8T (which died from sludge/oil starvation) sounded like a tractor when it first started. Even though the majority of the engine had been flushed out and cleaned the hydraulic lifters were presumably still gunked up, despite my best efforts at cleaning them. Once the engine had a proper run, and the oil got fully up to temperature, the noise went away. Even if its you cam chain tensioner the same applies, once the oil gets hot and thin you may well find it manages to break its way thru the crap and the tensioner will prime properly.

I'd be tempted to take the car out for a drive, keeping the revs lowish and ensuring the oil comes up to temperature (not just the coolant) and go from there.

Cheers Aragorn,as far as I know its only been started up briefly after having the sump dropped and cleaned out. I think the previous owner maybe panicked a little after having this done and then hearing the rattle. Maybe hes gave up after pricing a tensioner!! Nearly 300 quid at GSF!! I'll take it a run later in the week and see does it quieten down any and report back. Thanks.

Get a price for the tensioner from Audi themselves. You might be pleasantly surprised. The wife's 225 TT's tensioner comes in at £120.

Also, try Stoke Audi for parts... they're usually a little bit cheaper.