Cam chain and tensioner replacement

S3 Hilife

It's an addiction
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m getting ready to replace my VVT tensioner and chain in a week or so and just want to make sure that 1, I have everything I need and 2, I know exactly what I’m doing lol

The parts Ive ordered are:

VVT tensioner: 058 109 088 K

Cam to cam chain: 058 109 229 B

Gasket set Inc half moon seal: 058 198 217

Cam cover gasket set: 058 198 025 A

I also have some Loctite SI5980 gasket flange sealer, some RTV silicone or VAG sump sealant (as long as it’s not gone off) for the usual spots on the cam cover gasket

Replacing the tensioner itself seems easy enough to do as it can be done without removing the exhaust cam and interfering with the crank to cam timing so I’m quite confident in doing that part. I remember watching Bill and Tuffty change one in what seemed like 10 minutes and I’m sure they could probably do it blindfolded haha but replacing the chain makes it a little more daunting (to me at least ;)) just because the exhaust cam has to be lifted out which is under tension from the cam belt. Following ElsaWin it mentions removing the cam pulley which I don’t really fancy doing unless that is the only way of course. Is there another way around this? or what’s the easiest way of going about lifting the exhaust cam enough to swap the chain without disturbing the timing belt position?

If there’s any parts I’ve missed off my list or any advice or pointers you think would be useful please give me a heads up, I’d appreciate the help :)

Thanks,

Steve

Thought I’d ask one more time to see if anyone can offer some advice with this :) I’m really not sure how to do it and obviously don’t want to damage anything

I just want to know the best way to replace the cam chain but can’t find anyone who can offer any advice and I haven’t come accross any guides for doing this part. I had a look at a head I was working on at the weekend but couldn’t tell if the exhaust cam could be lifted enough on the chain end to get the chain free, or even if the exhaust cam caps can be removed with the timing belt under tension on the pulley?

Steve

exhaust cam must lift up. belt off, caps off..
Thanks for the reply Bill, much appreciated :) much more of a pita than I was anticipating haha

Is it easy enough to do with the engine in place? I guess I’ll need to find a timing belt tensioner release tool too

Haha, I had a funny feeling it would be, nothing is ever easy on these things ;) I’ll see how it goes IF the rain holds off at the weekend. I’ve ordered new bolts aswell for the harmonic damper pulley as that will probably need removing too but I might end up leaving the chain at the moment IF there’s no obvious signs of wear and just replace the tensioner for now. The plan is to take the engine out next year to refresh the bottom end and it will be MUCH easier to replace it then. I’ll see how it goes :)

Thanks

Steve

It will only be easier because you may as well strip the head at the same time, you need a 2 mm pin, thin drill or hair clip and 5mm stud and washer and nut to wind the timing belt tensioner back, annoyingly difficult. but as I have discovered when you remove the cams you need to replace the cam seals and to do that you need a cam bolt (40 ARP reusable or 20 use once) and when you remove them you may discover other issues eg shiney tappets or cams mean warn, you might notice a stem seal is not seated on the valve guide meaning it will be leaking --- then what? do you put it back knowing that..?

Reactions: S3 Hilife
It will only be easier because you may as well strip the head at the same time, you need a 2 mm pin, thin drill or hair clip and 5mm stud and washer and nut to wind the timing belt tensioner back, annoyingly difficult. but as I have discovered when you remove the cams you need to replace the cam seals and to do that you need a cam bolt (40 ARP reusable or 20 use once) and when you remove them you may discover other issues eg shiney tappets or cams mean warn, you might notice a stem seal is not seated on the valve guide meaning it will be leaking --- then what? do you put it back knowing that..?

Thanks Stuart :icon thumright: I did order a Sealey timing belt tensioner tool before I realised it was basically a bolt and pin, haha. I’m definitely not planning on stripping the head any time soon. It’s only done around 5K miles since it was built but I’ll take the valve lifters out and inspect them for wear and compression. It had new cams fitted too with the BT conversion so I would probably be safe to assume the cam seals were replaced at the time aswell :)

Cheers