Cam belt replacement cost?

Tom Shields

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just had the cam / timing belt replaced on my 1.4 TFSI and I think I've been ripped off.

Total comes to £454.67

78.89 for the timing kit +VAT
300 for the labour +VAT

is it me or is this quite a lot?

Yeah you've been well and truly ripped off there in my opinion. If they're Audi techs, then they'll know these cars really well. I mean.. they see them constantly on a daily basis. This shouldn't be a difficult job at all for them so why the labour is so high is beyond me, complete rip off. Really, it should be a fraction of £300

Yeah you've been well and truly ripped off there in my opinion. If they're Audi techs, then they'll know these cars really well. I mean.. they see them constantly on a daily basis. This shouldn't be a difficult job at all for them so why the labour is so high is beyond me, complete rip off. Really, it should be a fraction of £300
** not a mechanic **
If something is easy for them though it doesn't mean it's quick. Labour will be done on duration compared to difficulty right..

But I have no idea how long this would take :)

I'd be happy with that price in my location- Audi dealers usually charge more than that - you can't expect the professionals to do this for DIY money.

Reactions: Scotty75
There will be a set time for the job so I suppose they will charge a standard price for a cambelt change on a 1.4 A3. As Richard T suggests, best to ask the price beforehand.

I have no idea what is involved in changing a cam belt on an A3. But in years gone by it was always regarded as an important and fairly big job.
(But certainly not as big a job as it is if it breaks!!)

Reactions: Scotty75 and Chris43
£300 will be a couple of hours labour charge at main dealer rates. I paid VW £100 per hour about 6 years ago.

Its a lot but as RichardT says it's a job that has to be done and done right else the consequences could easily cost 10 times that.

My 2.0 tdi cost £495 to get the cam belt done a week ago but as a side note Audi will MOT the car free for the time you own the vehicle. Small bonus.

End of the day I'm sure an independent garage would be cheaper

Free MOT at Audi is not a general thing. It must be a special offer at your dealership I think. I certainly paid for my first MOT.

My 2.0 tdi cost £495 to get the cam belt done a week ago but as a side note Audi will MOT the car free for the time you own the vehicle. Small bonus.

End of the day I'm sure an independent garage would be cheaper

This was an independent.

I'm kicking myself for not questioning it before paying.

Free MOT at Audi is not a general thing. It must be a special offer at your dealership I think. I certainly paid for my first MOT.
I was told that this was a deal Audi are offering this year

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Just had the cam / timing belt replaced on my 1.4 TFSI and I think I've been ripped off.

Total comes to £454.67

78.89 for the timing kit +VAT
300 for the labour +VAT

is it me or is this quite a lot?
Lower than their quote:

Screenshot wwwaudicouk 20180705 10 10 06

** not a mechanic **
If something is easy for them though it doesn't mean it's quick. Labour will be done on duration compared to difficulty right..

But I have no idea how long this would take :)
Exactly and since this job isn't particularly difficult it shouldn't take that long and thus be that pricey. I've done a couple of much bigger and far more awkward engines as my job and it probably more or less comprises of loosening up a pulley, taking it off (possibly by passing it around the fan but that may be pure electronic and cause no obstacle), putting the new one on which, depending on how poorly the engine was designed, may be pretty damn awkward (but something this guys surely are used to), tightening the pulley back up and checking the belt for correct tension. I wouldn't expect no more than 2 tops really, especially when at dealerships like Audi they'll be cracking the whip 24/7

Exactly and since this job isn't particularly difficult it shouldn't take that long and thus be that pricey. I've done a couple of much bigger and far more awkward engines as my job and it probably more or less comprises of loosening up a pulley, taking it off (possibly by passing it around the fan but that may be pure electronic and cause no obstacle), putting the new one on which, depending on how poorly the engine was designed, may be pretty damn awkward (but something this guys surely are used to), tightening the pulley back up and checking the belt for correct tension. I wouldn't expect no more than 2 tops really, especially when at dealerships like Audi they'll be cracking the whip 24/7

This wasn't a dealership. This was a small independent garage

Probably got tensioner replacements as well in there somewhere.

A breakdown of the cost FYI.
66e3d51b10838fb9eea5cbe8b953d351.jpg

I thought that the A3's had a timing chain that "never" needs replacing. or will do significantly more mileage and years before needing replacement. I just had my 63 plate 1.8TFSI serviced at Audi and they said there was no cam belt and that it was just a regular service.

Its engine specific, some have belts and some have chains

Water pump not even replaced either for that. Surely should be done at the same time while your in there.

Water pump not even replaced either for that. Surely should be done at the same time while your in there.
It doesn't run off the cam belt. It wasn't leaking and the car stays cool. So I didn't see much of a point.

With my model A3 the water pump tensions the cam belt, after fitting and adjustment there were no leaks on the water pump so it wasnt in need of replacing. No point spending dosh unnecessarily.