Cam belt change

rwellfair

Reaction score
my car has 88,00 on it, has a full history print out but cant see a belt change. Do you think i should be changing the belt a.s.a.p ? im in the cheltenham area.

What full history print out or the actual service book stamped?
Either way if you can't find it, do it asap.

If you are doing the belt change the water pump at the same time, I also had the thermostat changed too.
Belt change should be at 80K miles or 5 years, whichever is first.

I would get it done. I had mine done 3 weeks ago with water pump and theomstat done at same time. My car only have 55k.

I've had a few done, If you cant find anything that says its been done or bills get it done its peace of mind.The kit costs about £100ish i think for the belt, pulley and water pump kit i get all mine done at cost + mates rates which is nice, just having my brake pads multironic gearbox oil (£120 for the oil alone!! ) and rear shocks done at the mo.

Make sure to get ya service book stamped up after thou....

incase your thinking about going to the dealer, i had a full 80,000 service done at an audi dealer and it cost £1354 inc parts and labour.

Last edited:
wow sod that id rather get a mate to fit it or the garage near me charge £30ph labour

4-cyl Belt only change around £400, and a V6 around £500 'ball park' - not sure what you have with regard to engine as you have not advised?
Of course we need to know what engine you have?
Anything from the above prices can be negotiated down from 'normal' dealer prices with a little persuasion.
And 3rd party garages have their own rates which one would assume would be cheaper?
You pay what you as an individual are happy with considering any after sales guarantees / warranties that come into the equation.

yea sorry i have a 1.8t 2004 avant s line my van belt change cost me £320 all in

How true that man, my rule of thumb is main dealer is a no no as mega price for the same job as a good independent, saying that some independents are getting the same way as main dealers...

In short i'd bite the bullet stump up whatever price you can get it down to and rest easy with peace of mind....:happy:

is there anyway to see if it has been changed since it is at 88,000 miles?

A garage can do a visual check as thats what they do at the 40000 mile check, but unless they've got robot eyes i don't see how they can check for wear and tear to the belt rubber, i'd be tempted to say that if it had had one done its something that the last owner would have get the bill for as its always one of the first things that most people ask at that sort of mileage.

Its up to you in the end, but you've got to ask yourself is it worth taking the risk..??? for whats a £200/£300 out lay...I'd def get it done

Last thought if its got audi history ring the past dealers that have done the work give them your reg plate and vin number and they should be able to back track its history with regard to service work carried out....:search:

just found out at 50,000 mile it had belt done at audi but that was in 2007 its a 2004 car? will this be ok to leave?