1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam adjuster bit, is there a reliable bit to use.

Just Rob. Nov 8, 2018

1. Just Rob.

Just Rob. Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Brilliant Black Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V8 VCDS Map User Audi RS4 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group Manual

As in the title really really chaps, i'm doing my cam chain tensioner over the weekend and having been through my tools I have the laser 10mm bit that's is the T40080 equivalent so in theory should be correct , but having tried the bit in the new bolt its not really a good fit, I would have expected it to be a snug fit but its just a bit loose.
    I have visions of it just breaking or worse still shearing the bolt splines as its not a snug fit, has anyone else come across this issue , if so what did you go with , I really don't fancy breaking either if there is another more reliable tool bit available.

any help would be greatfully received.

rob

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Sygh2k

Sygh2k Active Member Gold Supporter

this is what i used along with a 3ft breaker bar and camlock tool(laser). i cant remember what the fit was like, id recommend a helper so one holds the socket on square to prevent slipage whilst the other swings. also useful are a 10spanner on these bits to get the bolts out the rear cover

Attached Files:

4. Just Rob.

Just Rob. Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Brilliant Black Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V8 VCDS Map User Audi RS4 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group Manual

where did you get that polydrive bit from, look's better than the laser one I have.

upload_2018-11-8_22-51-38.png

5. Sygh2k

6. Sygh2k

7. Just Rob.

After being told by audi that this tool was not available I thought i'd try TPS , low and behold it is available for just over £7.00 +vat for the genuine VAG part, so that's sorted now, will be in tomorrow.
    I feel a bit more confident now with the bolt issue , just didn't fancy a breakage .

8. Sygh2k

Nice, yes its horrible bolt to remove for the first time. Just needs a bit confidence and calm head

Just Rob. likes this.
  9. Just Rob.

Update , the VAG tool from TPS is a perfect fit so really glad I didn't use the laser one, just a shame now that the cam locking tool I bought from another seller earlier this year wasn't as good, chocolate fireguard comes to mind with it's quality, totally useless piece of kit so need to source a proper tool for that now....oh deary me.

rob

10. Sygh2k

nice the tps socket fits nice, bit of a shame about the camlock tho. i have a laser 4421 kit, its not perfect but did the job. couple notes for you, you probly need the tool to rotate the intake cam if you dont have it or doesnt come with your lock tool as when the chain comes off the, cam moves a bit from the pressure of valves. on my laser one it has little pins in the end of it, ended up removing them for a better fit.
    https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/4421

also if you have a paint marker of some description, mark the chain and both gears before removing it, then place your old chain over new chain, copy the markers for added checking of correct positioning

Just Rob. likes this.
  11. Just Rob.

my chocolate tool kit.

camt6.JPG camt5.JPG

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Sygh2k

doesnt look too bad, on mine the two post that fit in the cams bend a bit when undoing, also found the centre hole didnt realy line up, not sure if u had same issue? i contemplated driling out the centre hole so i could use it with a big washer and bolt but fortunatly didnt need to.

14. Just Rob.

yes i did, it was the inlet cam side that caused the problem to start with ,then the exhaust side started bending, the overall fititng was very loose to be honest and could have been much better as it would help reduce any initial movement.
    the pegs are held on the surface of the plate by silly little allen bolts, there's no way a small bolt will not bend and snap when under the load exerted on it .
    The pegs should be recessed right through the plate really to avoid the bending bolt issue and moving cams, maybe if the bolts were acctaully a decent diameter things maybe better , but both bent on my plate and they are not coming out in a re useable format either.
    I may opt to either enlarge the holes and then weld the pegs in or counter sink them and use more suitable bolts.

Its not so much an issue with the plate or pegs as they are pretty good quality, its the mickey mouse mounting method that is the problem.

rgds
    rob

15. Sygh2k

ah the recess's may be the difference, when i get home i'll have a look at mine upload sum pics. if you could get them drilled and tapped m8/m10 that be ideal, from memory mines m6

16. Sygh2k

laser tool for reference

Attached Files:

Just Rob. likes this.
  17. Just Rob.

Just looking at yours made me rush out and check mine , looks like mine are infact recessed as yours and I extracted the peg that didn't have a bent and jammed screw, looks identical to your one .
    I'm wondering wether I have a dodgy one as the peg I have removed was a tight fit on the recess and the one still jammed is a really loose fit, which may account for why the screw bent and the peg moved sideways under load.
    I think some modifications to the bracket are forthcoming in the form of boring and welding.....

cmt6.JPG

thanks for the help chaps.