Calliper refurb kit?

SmoothAssault

Will design for mods
Reaction score
Website
www.matteasom.com
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you knew where I could get hold of a front calliper refurb/service kit? Pistons, seals etc?

I bought stoakseya4's complete front RS4 setup, already in good condition but want everything perfect before it all gets fitted.

Cheers.

Ebay Big red calipers iirc do recon kits for std calipers, might be worth looking them up. The kits i have fitted worked well

I know they aren't the same but it might help with the rebuild click

Or if you know of any more post them up.

Thanks byzan A4 for the ebay name.

Cheers jwhat, even though I'm most of the way through now, it confirms my guesses of how things should be done were correct. Beginners luck!

Thought I'd post some pictures of the project so far...

Bought B5 RS4 carriers from "Docurley". They were covered in bright red caliper paint; this had to go. So I handed them over to my mate Andy who using some nasty chemical dips and some sand blasting got them looking good as new, down to the bare metal. To prevent rust he suggested I primed them until I decided how I was going to finish them properly. So they now look like this...

SNC00734.jpg

I bought a set of EBC redstuff pads and then went and picked up the complete RS4 front brake setup from "stoakseya4". It sat in my living room looking like this...

SNC00761.jpg

Dust shields + extra carriers that I wasn't expecting...

SNC00764.jpg

SNC00762.jpg

Epic discs!...

SNC00760.jpg

Removed guide pins and started cleaning caliper number one in my state-of-the-art, custom made brake service station...

SNC00767.jpg

And on to the second one...

SNC00769.jpg

Had a fight with the rubber guide pin bushings. I had hoped to take these alive but two died in the chaos of battle. I don't actually think it is possible to remove these without cutting them out as they're held in place by toothed plastic sections that appear to be impossible to remove without destroying them. I plan on removing these plastic sections, and replacing the bushes with ones the same as used on the opposite side where these plastic parts are not required.

SNC00776.jpg

I removed the pistons by blasting them with compressed air, gave everything the once over with a cloth and here's where I'm at now...

SNC00779.jpg

Next job is to get the calipers and carriers powder coated (inspiration from jwhat's link).

SNC00784.jpg

Quite a fun little project so far.

...and if you were wondering why there's hardly any fish in my brothers aquarium, it's because this f**ker eats them all!!...

SNC00745.jpg

...and he's the "small" one.

Wow they are massive discs! What colour are you going to podwercoat the calipers?

Yep, I knew they were big but car parts look a hell of a lot bigger when they're sitting on your living room carpet! lol.

I'll just be getting them done in black. They're not going to be completely boring though, but what I have in mind is a surprise! haha. If all goes to plan, the OEM purists won't be too keen on 'em, lol.

Looking good mate,good to see someone doing a proper job :icon_thumright:

If you have any mates wanting to do the same,will you tell them to look in
the classifieds :whistle2:

Cheers. Never done anything like this before, all is going well so far though. Calipers getting sand blasted next week (by Andy "the legend"), hopefully powder coated locally that same week. In the mean time I'll be tidying up the pistons and sourcing the replacement seals etc.

Once everything is on I'll be sure to reference this write up and point people in the direction of your ad in case they want to have a go. I'll even pretend it's a easy job, lol :happy:

Audi just quoted me £47 for the dust boots and gasket seal replacements for a single caliper! And £23 for the guide pin bushes. Both sides would total £140!?.. for some little pieces of rubber.

Needless to say I will be using bigg red to source these parts instead. When called the other day he just requested that I send my originals so he can be sure to send me exact matching parts. Originals will be in the post first thing tomorrow morning!!!

You've just learnt about the RS tax, from Audi. :puke:

As soon as you say you want something for an RS, the price becomes at least 3x more than for any other Audi part...

:whistle2:
:angrymod:

Okay, update time...

So rather than letting Audi screw me for some tiny pieces of rubber I sent a dust-boot, seal and one of the guide pin bushes to Bigg Red. The following day they called me to say they had matches for everything and that four of each would only be £29 + postage!! Bargain.

I got the calipers and carriers back from my mate Andy who had sand blasted them (aluminium oxide blasted to be exact) and here's how they turned out...

SNC00798.jpg

SNC00799.jpg

I then sent them off to my local powder coaters who said they'd do the whole lot for £30. Another bargain!?... While they had the calipers I decided to tidy up the discs and set the dremel loose on a few other bits...

Discs before and after...

SNC00803.jpg

SNC00812.jpg

SNC00813.jpg

And here's the calipers and carriers after I picked them up from the powder coaters. They were ready the next morning!! Very impressed with the service.

SNC00816.jpg

So that's the basics as to what's involved in a B5 RS4 caliper refurb. Gonna put everything together tomorrow night and should hopefully be fitted Saturday.

That's awesome looking work, well done mate :icon_thumright: