Calling S3 Drivers - How many miles do you get on a full tank?

Pii

Reaction score
Just went through my first full tank and only managed 200 miles on the clock - Shock Horror! :sadlike:

Ok, admitably I have been slightly heavy footed and my daily 'town driving' doesn't save me any fuel; however I did expect more than 200 miles!

Wondering how many miles other S3 drivers can acheive from a full tank. How would you decribe your journeys and driving styles.

Thanks
Pii

that's about right, i get about 250 with most of them short motorway journeys

that's about right, i get about 250 with most of them short motorway journeys

I easily get 350 miles - even in cold weather.
My best is 430 miles on a tank full.

Thats really interesting.

Splathead what are your journeys like? Town driving? Motorway runs?

I'm wondering how could there be such a gap between me, fraud and yourself?

I have a 30 mile commute - 5 miles on country roads, 23 miles on dual carraigeway (60-75mph) and then 2 miles in town.

I don't usually see any more than about 280, think the best I ever achieved was about 320. Going down south in a few weeks so it will be interesting to see what I can achieve on a long motorway journey.

Mark

It's all making sense now!

My 11 miles through London traffic seems to be the culprit! Overall 2.5 hours of start and stop traffic everyday is making a 150 miles difference!

I don't usually see any more than about 280, think the best I ever achieved was about 320. Going down south in a few weeks so it will be interesting to see what I can achieve on a long motorway journey.

Mark

280 and tops 320 was what i achieved from my old 1.8T. Going by the figures I was under the impression that the S3 had slightly better fuel consumption but I guess I was wrong!

I was home at xmas, spent over 750 on fuel in 3 weeks and maybe did about 3000 miles mostly Motorway and a lot of fooling around on A roads in the snow!
I usually get about 200-250 to a tank.
Mind I must say my wife normaly gets about 350-430 a tank on combined runs too! I think she changes gear before the turbo actualy kicks in!!!

Pii You have were not thinking of fuel economy when you bought an S3 mate :laugh: :s3addict:

I was home at xmas, spent over 750 on fuel in 3 weeks and maybe did about 3000 miles mostly Motorway and a lot of fooling around on A roads in the snow!
I usually get about 200-250 to a tank.
Mind I must say my wife normaly gets about 350-430 a tank on combined runs too! I think she changes gear before the turbo actualy kicks in!!!

Pii You have were not thinking of fuel economy when you bought an S3 mate :laugh: :s3addict:

Lol - It was one of my self convincing arguements: on paper it has better MPG that the car I was driving at the time. :icon_thumright:

Yes it's a weak arguement but I had to build a list of reasons (more like excuses) why I should buy myself an S3! :)

Damn pleased I did; just damn poor now!

In the winter months you'll get less as the cold starts and dense air will mean the engine will ramp up the fuelling.

I'm seeing about 220 miles with mostly round town driving.
About 270 miles (mixture of town / A roads / dual carriageway)
About 300 miles for generally motorway miles (use of foot for the accelerator pedal rather than sticking it on cruise)
About 330 miles for full on motorway cruising (65 mph'ish on cruise)

280 and tops 320 was what i achieved from my old 1.8T. Going by the figures I was under the impression that the S3 had slightly better fuel consumption but I guess I was wrong!

Quattro makes a difference though, I've averaged about 25mpg from new, my old 8L 18T used to average 30ish and do 35-40 on a run. Didn't buy the S3 for economy so not really bothered, it actually quite good considering the performance.

Mark

In the winter months you'll get less as the cold starts and dense air will mean the engine will ramp up the fuelling.

I'm seeing about 220 miles with mostly round town driving.
About 270 miles (mixture of town / A roads / dual carriageway)
About 300 miles for generally motorway miles (use of foot for the accelerator pedal rather than sticking it on cruise)
About 330 miles for full on motorway cruising (65 mph'ish on cruise)

Some very concise figures here and Warren I'm begining to feel you are the S3 Wikipedia. Thank you for the details! I feel slightly better now after hearing various reports of mpg based on the type of driving.....

Quattro makes a difference though, I've averaged about 25mpg from new, my old 8L 18T used to average 30ish and do 35-40 on a run. Didn't buy the S3 for economy so not really bothered, it actually quite good considering the performance.

Mark
My 1.8T was a quatrro also so it seems that my driving give a consistant 5mpg lowere results that yours. This actually reassured me in the sense that my drives wastes more fuel that most! We'll see how it goes on a few more tanks!

Some very concise figures here and Warren I'm begining to feel you are the S3 Wikipedia.

You're too kind mate, my wife calls it autism :)

My job requires me over-analysing everything and it inevitably ends up creeping into my day to day life.

Just went through my first full tank and only managed 200 miles on the clock - Shock Horror! :sadlike:

Ok, admitably I have been slightly heavy footed and my daily 'town driving' doesn't save me any fuel; however I did expect more than 200 miles!

Wondering how many miles other S3 drivers can acheive from a full tank. How would you decribe your journeys and driving styles.

Thanks
Pii

My mileage is very similar to warren's. But one question, is yours a new s3? If so I was only getting 200 ish for the first 2000 miles.

tend to get around 250-260 on a tank (until the car says 15 or so miles remaining) during my usual routine of stop start traffic, this goes up to about 320 if I'm driving on motorways.

I defy anyone getting anywhere near 400 miles out of a tank unless that's spent on an empty M'way. 25 mpg/c 300 miles is realistic on a combined cycle. Buy a diesel if you want economy.

I normally get between 300 and 350 from a tank. I drive a few local miles during the week and then motorway Friday and Sunday.

On a drive a while back I filled up and then was stuck in 50-60mph traffic for ages so I then tried to to see how high I could get my range. Trip computer reset on the fill up:

DSC00917.jpg

I normally get between 300 and 350 from a tank. I drive a few local miles during the week and then motorway Friday and Sunday.

On a drive a while back I filled up and then was stuck in 50-60mph traffic for ages so I then tried to to see how high I could get my range. Trip computer reset on the fill up:

DSC00917.jpg

It thinks its diesel!

My last car was a Mk4 Golf GTI 25th Anniversary 1.8T 180bhp. It averaged about 32 mpg - mostly commuting to work. My daily commute is 26 miles each way, the first 20 are rural A roads and the last 6 are stop start into town.

I got my 2007 S3 last October and on the official combined figure it should do 30mpg on the combined cycle. I have averaged 29-30mpg doing the same journey as I was doing in the Golf. Considering the S3 is quattro and soooo much faster, I'm quite happy with that. On a tank, I get to about 360 miles then fill up regardless.

Admittedly, if I have a serious play at the weekend, the mpg drops considerably lol

My mileage is very similar to warren's. But one question, is yours a new s3? If so I was only getting 200 ish for the first 2000 miles.

Nah it's registered 07 with 22k on the clock. Admitably I've only had it a couple of weeks and am still getting the feel of the car ...

DSC00917.jpg

Traffic at 50-60? Come on Staz, that's not traffic!!!

Just jumped into the car to take a snapshot and here it is:
IMG_04691.jpg

This was reset when i filled up. I'll post another pic in a few days.

Pii

It is when it lasts for over 100 miles! lol

lol - that's a fair point actually!

Should pop down and drive around London from 07:30 weekdays. It'll probably drive you insane.

I drive from home to work, a distance of 205 miles with 180 miles of motorway and a quick blat on an A road at the end, and i get around 380 miles from a tank. The most i've had it read was 455 miles. In my old car (A4 TDI 130sport) I used to be able to drive from Preston to Hameln in Germany (679 miles) on just over 3 quarters of a tank.

I get better mileage since the remaps....I was getting about 28mpg avergae before,and now,on the same trawl into town every day I can get an average of 32mpg.

Overall on a full tank I get 340-360miles.

It does get the odd bit of hoofing,so it's not all eco-driving.

By means of comparison, my stage2 ed30 which is just over 360bhp is returning on average 330 to the tank.

Hi S3 Alex - I noticed your sig on your post. Can I really get 365bhp by just chanigng the exhaust, air intake and dump valve and remapping? I was thinking of getting Revo stage 1 on my S3 and going from there.

Probably not on just a stage 1...though I will let Alex answer that for himself!...Now regards to my S3 consumption..****** thirsty! I get about 350 to a full tank..But its how fast it goes down that bothers me! :D

well at 70mph on the motorway with the cruise switched on i get around 30mpg, so with a 13 gallon tank, that should be 390 miles

I get better mileage since the remaps....I was getting about 28mpg avergae before,and now,on the same trawl into town every day I can get an average of 32mpg.

Overall on a full tank I get 340-360miles.

It does get the odd bit of hoofing,so it's not all eco-driving.

I have found my excuse for a remap!! :idea:

Based on the replies, there is a massive difference in what people get out of their cars here! Are people using bog standard Unleaded petrol or the premium stuff?

Drove to work last night and got an average of 32.1 mpg on standard unleaded, Thats at normal motorway speeds with lots of 50mph limits (M6, M5) then a quick blat at the end.

Mine averages between 21 and 22 mpg but this was what I expected (my old Focus ST averaged between 19 and 23 mpg). As already said we didn`t buy an S3 for economy :lmfao:

Are people using bog standard Unleaded petrol or the premium stuff?

The fuel flap / car info recommends you use premium 98RON with the S3. This becomes a more critical requirement with staged mapping.

I've only run 2 half tanks of 95RON in 3 years in the S3 due to the fact I was unable to get the real stuff. Don't expect a night and day difference, but every little helps.

I get about 300-320 on average to a tank

Best is 400 which saw me going from Belfast - dublin - holyhead - northampton and back again

Worst I think is 270

Thats with my mods as well and full tanks of SUL

Remapped and always run on V-Power never seen more than 240 Miles to a tank, which is pretty much exactly the same as my old 8L S3. But then i never see a motorway or dual carriageway, plus I did not buy the S3 for economy.....:thrashi:

I always get around 320, thats using vpower and on a remap.
My car has done 83k miles now and i've never known it to vary that much other than (as expected) if driving at a legal speed on the motorway where closer to 400 is achievable.