Calling all Revo CAI owners

prt57

Reaction score
Hi,
After thinking about the VWR intake for my S3 8P, I am now turning towards the Revo CAI.
Please can anyone who has one of these intakes fitted to an S3 tell me if there is any rubbing on any under bonnet components on an S3.
Searching on the Internet can be a bad thing as it has suggested:
1. difficult to undo the brake fluid cap with it in place
2. there is a pipe along side the hpfp that can rub on the intake p
3. the hose clamps holding the foam filter rub on the heat shield
4. the foam rubs on the back of the headlight or other parts in that area
5. The bolt holding on the intake to the top of the engine comes loose.

As I said, the internet can be a negative place but all thoughts are welcomed.
Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for your reply, Hookmonster.
Anyone else's thoughts?
Cheers,

Peter

Reactions: Hookmonster
Hmmmm, age is not on my side either!
However, I still need to maximise the potential of my recent APR 1+.

Reactions: Hookmonster
I'm 22 and love the sound hah

However one does rub a tiny bit in the heat shield. But it's no biggy. Apart from that it's perfect

I switch between the VWR and the Revo depending on my mood.
I find the Revo can be a bit tiresome at times if I'm honest, but it is the best of all the kits I've tried.
The Revo filter sits at a slight angle down into the space by the headlight and I found it catches on the Base of the heat shield and also the foam catches on the headlight. I actually trimmed the pipe slightly to bring the filter up level and now it sits perfect. Apart from that the fit is as good as it gets tbh.
The fixing bolt on the pipe can come loose as it's only tapped into the aluminium, this can strip if over tightened as mine did. However it can be drilled out and fitted with a steel thread insert if this happens.
If you can live with the increased noise get the Revo

Reactions: kash_v
I switch between the VWR and the Revo depending on my mood.
I find the Revo can be a bit tiresome at times if I'm honest, but it is the best of all the kits I've tried.
The Revo filter sits at a slight angle down into the space by the headlight and I found it catches on the Base of the heat shield and also the foam catches on the headlight. I actually trimmed the pipe slightly to bring the filter up level and now it sits perfect. Apart from that the fit is as good as it gets tbh.
The fixing bolt on the pipe can come loose as it's only tapped into the aluminium, this can strip if over tightened as mine did. However it can be drilled out and fitted with a steel thread insert if this happens.
If you can live with the increased noise get the Revo

Due to how loud it is?

Yes, sometimes you just want to sit back and chill, then the Revo reminds you to snap out of it lol
Tbh it's not overly loud, it's just the turbo noises etc that can get monotonous!

Reactions: kash_v
A lot of the noise you guys are hearing is from the turbo working near its limits.

The 3582 on mine,with an ITG system is much quieter than the rest of the car.

No wheezing,screeching or whistling noises.

Reactions: Smirky
Well, I went with the Neuspeed in the end. Easy installation with excellent quality components. Nothing rubs or is loose. Everything fitted properly. Bore diameter not as wide as some intakes but does it really need to be as wide as some of the intakes you see? The TTS cover looks excellent with it too_Only been out in the car once since but it went well. It sounds like a beast in under the bonnet and people turn to look!!

Reactions: kash_v and S3Alex
Anyone know the OEM external bore diameter of the pipe that leads down to the turbo - so the horizontal piece running across the back of the engine bay.

Thx.

I know the internal size where the maf sits, that's about 63/64mm

The Revo intake is known to be the best flowing on the market with near perfect MAF scaling. it's also has a one piece mandrel bent pipe which is very important as this means that unlike other intakes it doesn't cause havoc with the air flow, the smoother the surface and the less joints, the better.

The bolt that mounts to the engine 'SHOULD BE LOOSE' it's a pivot point as clearly pointed out in the instructions and should allow for the engine movement/rock under harder acceleration, over tighten this pivot point and you are not allowing for engine movement, so you'll either strip the aluminium threads or you'll end up damaging your intake from the engines movement as something has to give. #ifallelsefailsreadinstructions

Interesting review worth a read -
https://www.vwheritage.com/blog/2015/03/12/revo-test-2005-mk5-golf-gti-dyno/

Full product details -
http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/air-filter-intake-kits/20-tfsi-air-intake-system

Contact your local Revo dealer for pricing - http://www.revotechnik.com/dealer-locator

There has been a few small updates/improvements to the kit over the years.

The Revo intake is known to be the best flowing on the market with near perfect MAF scaling.
I had to fit a sleeve inside my pipe Steve as the ltft's were up around +16.
With the sleeve fit they are around +1.6 now. Would that be due to an previous version of the pipe?
It is the best intake on the market though, I just wished you did a sealed version.

I had to fit a sleeve inside my pipe Steve as the ltft's were up around +16.
With the sleeve fit they are around +1.6 now. Would that be due to an previous version of the pipe?
It is the best intake on the market though, I just wished you did a sealed version.

Never heard of this issue and that's with over 2000 Revo 2.0TFSi intakes out there. I would possibly put the issue down to your tuning, as the Revo intake has been designed in house with Revo software to work in harmony, although is of course also used by and with many other tuning companies too.

The metal pipe itself has not changed in design.