Calling All Owners of A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI S-Line Manual (UK Spec)

snoopster

Reaction score
Pls can you help?

I am trying to source some original S-line suspension springs to upgrade an SE spec car but using EKTA I am having problems identifying the correct spring colour codes. (EKTA does not differentiate between Sport(BE) and S-line(BV) which is unusual as there is 10mm ride height difference between them) My local London dealer is having the same problem and is waiting for the right car to go through their workshop to figure it out. But seeing as the petrol cars are rare, it is taking a Loooooong time.

If you own an..........

A4 Avant B8, 2.0TFSI Manual S-line (UK Spec)

..................and plan to be crawling under it in the next few days, could you please check out the colour codes on your front and rear springs and post to this thread?

Big ask, I know, but thanks in advance!

If you can wait to the weekend mate I'll see if I can check mine. Working away just now.

Where will I find the colour code? Just on the spring?

Mine is 2009 b8 avant fwd manual sline 2.0tfsi.

If you can wait to the weekend mate I'll see if I can check mine. Working away just now.

Where will I find the colour code? Just on the spring?

Mine is 2009 b8 avant fwd manual sline 2.0tfsi.

I can wait until the weekend no problems. Your A4 model is spot on.

Colour codes are visible as 1,2,3, 4 or 5 dabs of paint on 1 of the spring coils for each spring on the car. Colours available include; grey, pink, green, orange, yellow, violet, white, blue, brown. The rears will have 1 code and the fronts another code.

I am expecting you to come back with something similar to
Rear Springs 1 green, 1 grey, 2 white
Front Springs 1 violet, 3 pink

As I recall, when the car is on a ramp, the rear spring paint codes are usually clearly visible facing out towards the back of the car. The front spring codes, I am not sure if visible with wheels on or whether they need to come off.

This link for TDI s line gives you a feel of what the codes look like

Audi a4 b8 s line sport springs | eBay

Your help is really appreciated.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Right so I've checked the springs and found the colours after wiping the dirt accumulation off. They both only appear to have three colours?

The fronts appear to have faded but look to be as follows,
1 Pink 2 white/ grey

Rears

Green grey white.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

S-line springs in an SE ? I have just bought an SE saloon and would like to be able to do this too. I did however read that lowering springs on a standard cars are detrimental to the life of the standard shock absorber, or is this not an issue as S-line springs are not that much of a drop compared to some other types of springs out there.

Thank you very much for your help.

I have to say this was not the answer I was expecting.

Rear Springs - The colour code you have listed for the rear is for a car with a rear axle weight category of OJE and your car should be a slightly heavier category of OJF. I guess fitting these would make it sit slightly lower. Maybe this is how Audi UK got the s-lines to sit 10mm lower than the sport suspension vehicles, just fitted sport springs mean't for a lighter vehicle?

Front Springs - Problem here is the paint codes fade and some colours like white/grey/pink become hard to differentiate. The code you have provided is not listed so seems to be non existent. Front springs for all models seem to start with Violet, then something. If I assume instead of Pink 2 white or grey, you have 1 violet 2 pink then again this is a code for the OJE front axle weight category and your car is the slightly heavier OJF.

As you say best if you can send me the pictures for some more clues.

Also, if possible, to double check, could you give me the suspension and weight category codes on the first page of your service schedule logbook. you will see a matrix of codes.
Suspension Type Code is the last set of 3 digits on the 2nd line of the matrix. (expect it to be 1BV)
Weight categories are the last 2 sets of 3 digits on the 4th line of the matrix. (expect it to be OYH, OJF)
This will ensure that my assumption on your cars weight categories and suspension type is correct.

The plan is to change springs, shox and rollbars. So I have no concern over the longevity of SE shox, they go in the dustbin

You may want to tread carefully with SE shox on S-line springs. Firstly I hear the S-line shox are shorter for the shorter springs.

Additionally I place most the blame for the poor/dangerous SE spongey ride quality on the shox not the springs. So leaving the SE shox on will leave you with 60% of the problem you maybe trying to solve.

Doug, I've replied to your email with photos. I've also attached a copy of my service matrix/ codes. It appears the weight codes are different to what you expected. 1bv is correct for the suspension.

Cheers.

Doug, I've replied to your email with photos. I've also attached a copy of my service matrix/ codes. It appears the weight codes are different to what you expected. 1bv is correct for the suspension.

Cheers.

Thanks mate.

I have seen your pictures of the codes and serial numbers and indeed your spring colour codes match your weight categories, the only update is your fronts are 1 violet, 2 grey, but I am sure that does not bother you as you are very happy with your spring settings ;-)

Strange thing is your car is identical to mine in every way apart from being S-Line, yet it has different weight codes (VERY different for the front).
A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI SE Man FWD [Rear OYH Frt OJF]
A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI S-Line Man FWD [Rear OYG Frt OJC]

I can think of no other explanation apart from either:-
1. Interior trim weight differences. Mine has leather, is yours cloth seats? I cannot believe this will explain the difference.
OR
2. Audi does not list different springs for s-lines, but simply 'skews' the weight categories for the s-line vehicles so the factory select sport springs designed for lighter weight categories, hence getting a vehicle that sits lower.
OR
3. Clutching at straws, they have screwed up on the weight categories for my vehicle because I know mine sits ridiculously high at the front. For example a4 Avant Quattro's have a front code of OJF and they have a lot more transmission weight to carry.

It is strange mate and can see the logic in your theory. Mine has full leather, window blinds, cruise, parking plus but that's all on the options list over the usual Sline bits. Can't see it having much impact on weight.

Is mine showing as heavier or lighter than yours?

I'm quite happy with its height however you do have to be aware with the front splitter as it can get close on curbs during parking.

It is strange mate and can see the logic in your theory. Mine has full leather, window blinds, cruise, parking plus but that's all on the options list over the usual Sline bits. Can't see it having much impact on weight.

Is mine showing as heavier or lighter than yours?

I'm quite happy with its height however you do have to be aware with the front splitter as it can get close on curbs during parking.

Mine has leather as well, so trim weight can be ruled out.

Audi is showing your car as lighter, especially on the front. Pretty sure its Audi playing with weight categories to get the extra 10mm S-line lowering out of 'off the factory shelf' sport springs. Roughly each increment in the last letter of the code is an increment in a weight category. So your rear is listed as 1 increment lighter and the front is 3 increments lighter. However, as you probably know, if you push down on your car, you need a lot more force on the front than rear to get the car to move. Hence maybe why there is a larger category difference on the front than rears?

So mission accomplished, I now know what springs to order! Thank you very much!!