Calling all Audi A4 Avant owners with kids

Familyguy81

Reaction score
I’m considering buying a used Audi A4 Avant (B9), but have some concerns over its practicality. The car will be be used for around town driving, weekend getaways and family holidays (hopefully!). I’ve got a 3yr and 5yr old, so although buggies are on the way out they’ll be replaced by other kids ‘stuff’. Are there any owners who can give their experience on life with the A4 Avant? My concerns are mainly about boot capacity and space for growing rear passengers.

I've a 67 plate 1.4 Avant S Line - kids were 4 and 2 when I got it, 6 and 4 now. Rear seat space absolutely no problem for the kids, loads of space - I'm 6' and do the majority of the driving, the 4yo is behind me but the 6yo could be with no issues. Boot space - generally fine, but it's not massive.

I'm in London - in August we did a week in Weymouth, a couple of days in Gloucestershire then a week in Scotland. We had to take beach wear and wet weather gear, but could have got clothes, food, games, books, entertainment etc in there. Wouldn't have fit in bikes but did manage two scooters and helmets.

For that trip we also had to take a king size duvet, two singles, 6 pillows and sheets and towels for the family - no way that lot was fitting in as well, so had to get a roof box, but that was the first time in 3 years we've needed it. Roof bars and box I got will have space for two bike carriers which I'll probably have to get next year as they outgrow scooters and use bikes more often.

For weekend day trips I can get both their bikes in the boot at the moment - one with 16" wheels and one with 14", with the load cover on. Eldest goes up to 20" wheels at Christmas, and I don't think they'll fit then, so I'll either have to go with roof carriers or possibly just go without the load cover, will have to see how that one works.

Any questions I haven't answered, shout!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Agreed with what Psychoscot said

I’ve got. 4yo and a 10 month old. Their seats have plenty of space, although the 4yo manages to get the back of the driver seat muddy all the time... no issue though, just wipe it down.

The boot is average for what you expect, fits one joie buggy in no problem, 2 would require Tetris level strategising. Luckily, I have just the one buggy now plus space for the french bulldog. I’m happy with the space although a long haul would probably require a roof box as would many other larger estates out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Psychoscot
Ps. Had a bugaboo donkey duo (google it, it’s massive) when the second one arrived. That was a tight fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest annoyance for me isn't space, it's the 6yo messing with the rear climate control with his feet as there is no way to disable it!

We had an Uppababy Vista which fit ok but not much room for other stuff. Last year went on family holidays for a fortnight with all gear, scooters and a city mini zip all in the boot.

Mine is sedan and I've got 14 and 9 years old kids. The biggest problem is the small one messing with the climate controls and locking me out of the car when I get out to open the garage door... If I can disable that I would be the happiest man alive.

2 year old and 3 month old here.
The 2 year old currently has a car seat in the front passenger seat, so my wife sits behind me. In 6'4" and she sits behind me with no issues. In fact I've tried and I can sit behind my seat as well.
Boot space is pretty decent, although I also got a roof box knowing we'll likely end up needing it at times.

I first had my A4 Avant B9 when my kids were 7 & 5. All the space you need, not a problem. Week's away in Cornwall with all the necessary beach kit, windbreak, body boards, wetsuits, beach tents. It all goes in. I've had it piled high in the boot.

12v socket in the boot comes in handy to plug in a compressor to inflate pool floats etc.

One small point worth considering. I'd suggest looking for a car with the extended storage pack. It would add the seat back storage pockets and the drink holders in the rear centre armrest. I really wish I went for this option but didn't and regretted it.

Whilst the boot isn't as big as a Octavia or a Superb (or even a golf estate I think) it's big enough for week away - I find the retractable mesh divider that comes with the parcel shelf a godsend because it means you can fully load up the boot and not worry about anything joining you in the front when you brake. The rear seats are fine for my 2 (both at primary school) so no pushchairs or buggies required, but with the car seats in place fitting an adult in middle is nigh on impossible . The boot will just about take 2 kids bikes with the front wheels removed. For longer trips and more kit we take a roof box as well.

Thanks for all the really useful replies, and definitely gives me some insight into life with the A4 Avant. If I can ask a couple of follow on questions while I have you guys.

1) I’m aiming for a second hand S-Line but would consider the Sport. Are there any options in your mind which are essential beyond the standard spec? Good shout on the storage - assume this could be retrofitted?

2) Any preferences on choice of engine - the 1.4 vs 2.0 TFSI?

3) I’ve been swaying between the A4 Avant and the Skoda Superb estate, so be interested to know what led you to choose the AVant above other options?

I wasn't specifically looking for an S line, but most of the petrol 2.tsfi petrol quattros where in S line spec. Not sure how much difference in price between S line and sport at second hand prices I bought used from Audi.

The parcel shelf and luggage net divider thingy should be standard on Avants I think, but are easy to find on e bay.
I chose the a4 avant because you can't get a petrol 4wd estate with over 250 bhp from anyone else - unless you go Golf R or Skoda Superb. If skoda did the petrol vRS with 4wd I might have been tempted. Ahhh just remembered VW now do the Passat with slightly detuned Golf R drive train but they weren't in my budget when I bought my 2016 car earlier this year.

I wanted some poke so didn't consider the 1.4

One thing to be aware of the S-Line is that it's a firmer suspension, so not quite as smooth for little ones.
The storage pack can't be easily/sensibly retrofitted as mad as that sounds.
2 litre is good if you're considering a roof box and a full car, just for that extra power.

Don't know if the S-Line comes with the sport suspension in your country but bear in mind if it has it then she will be 23 mm lower than the normal version. Mine is like that and it is slightly bumpy but the feel for stability is awesome! S-line gives you a bit more luxury to the vision of the car and I wouldn't miss it.
I wouldn't buy a car with 1.4 engine in that shell... Get the 252 hp 2.0TFSI and you will love how it accelerates ;)
Can't say anything about the Avant because mine is sedan.

I got the 1.4 as it was the only engine available with the manual box with my other half wanted as she had just passed her test. It's not gutless, but you could definitely use the extra power - you end up dropping to 4th for overtakes on the motorway...

As to differences between SLine and Sport I'd need to be reminded of the differences to say which ones were must haves...

The biggest annoyance for me isn't space, it's the 6yo messing with the rear climate control with his feet as there is no way to disable it!

Still in the process of looking for a car, this seems to be standard on the S4 Avant and no doubt my 5 years old will do the same!! Maybe a fuse?

Hi guys,

I bought these from Aliexpress originally for my Range Rover, however I managed to fit them to the sports seats in my S4 B9 using a 'luggage strap'

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000400378284.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.34cd4c4drXnCh1

Due to the bracket on the back of the monitors it allows me to use it to tighten against the seat and they work perfectly. No marks on seat (not yet anyway)

The monitors also allow you to replicate most car operating system (various Audi ones) you can see mine form the picture replicate my current system, (sounds like a sales pitch, but it's definitely not haha) bought randomly from Aliexpress after a lot of research. Also came with a dual cable that uses cigarette lighter which I asked to be included.

I have micro SD cards installed with enough kids programs to keep my little one entertained on longer journeys :)

Attached a couple of pics for info including the monitor arm I was talking about as it folds down to a right angle.

Hope this can maybe help

Screen2
Screen1
Screen3
Monitor arm

Hope this might hep you guys.

As an Audi A4 Avant owner myself, I totally understand your concerns about practicality.

As an Audi A4 Avant owner myself, I totally understand your concerns about practicality.
I have two children, and besides, I recently started foster with https://fosterplus.org/circle-of-support, and I was a little worried about whether there would be enough space in my car. However, while the children are still quite small, my A4 Avant has been great for running errands around town and taking the occasional family road trip. The boot is definitely spacious enough to fit a few buggies, enough luggage for a family weekend away, and anything else you need to bring along with you. As for space in the back seat, my kids have plenty of room to grow and always seem comfortable in the backseat.

Another A4 Avant (S Line 2.0 TDI) owner here, and thought I'd add my 2 cents as the Dad to a 3 Year old ...

I've had my A4 Avant since just before my little one was born, me and the Mrs do lots of camping and outdoors'y things up and down the country, as recently as our January Winter trip up to the Cairngorms in Scotland. Generally I will say that (and this is my fifth year of ownership) the car and especially on long journeys car is a joy, such a comfortable and practical interior .. stopping at services for bottles, food breaks, changing nappies in the boot, even the coat hooks on the inside of the rear passenger doors ... a really useful and well thought out design.

In terms of storage, when camping we do use a roof box for our clothing and luggage, leaving the boot free for tent, camping gear, chairs, travel cots, airbeds etc ....

One thing I will say is that removing the parcel shelf/rear sun visor is an absolute must if you and filling the boot as they take up a huge amount of space unnecessarily - removing these will allow you to pack larger items right up to the back seats and also right up to the roof .. leaving a small gao to see though the rear mirror ...

anyway, ive rambled enough good luck and let us know when you've bought your Avant :)

... great place for a nap too ...
A44B1E0B F838 4B71 BD1F 6846CA84F8BB 1 105 c

Cheers, Jon

Reactions: Sandra and matthew999