Calling All 40TFSI Owners

SPIKE_

Vorsprung durch Technik
Reaction score
Currently looking at a deal for a new A4 40TFSI engined car, but not sure if its the right move over my current 2.0TDI. Curious to see from those with experience of this engine what the real world MPG is? Thanks

Happily achieved 50 mpg on a 2018 A5 Sportback S-Line with the 40 TFSI. Lots of pull in the low end range.

Now in a 2020 A5 Sportback S-Line with the 35 TDI and it is as smooth, if not smoother than the 40 TFSI. I want tell the difference.

What I can tell is the parking power is on the mid range of the revs at circa 30-50 mph than from start in the 40 TFSI.

Both engines are fabulous and I am certainly shocked at the suitability of a 35 TDI in the A5

I can achieve 35mpg on my urban runs, and 50 on a run. Like all turbo petrol engine the MPG suffers in constant start stop situation, or if you thrash it. The diesel A4's I've driven have all given vibrations through the pedals, the steering wheel and the manual gearstick....

My experience on the manual gearstick on the 40 TFSI was flawless for me.

I wasn't looking forward to the 35 TDI auto on the 2020 A5 (having not test driven it as the model wasn't out in the UK in June), but that two is fabulous. Yes, many folk moan about th stop-start and more so on the new MHEV engine but after 500 miles from new I've sussed how to get it ready to pull away when I want and smoothly.

I love my 40 tfsi (as it is now called). The long term mpg on the DIS is 39, so that’s for all types of journey over about 10,000 miles. I try to avoid short journeys, but there are inevitably some included in that total. I cruise at 80 mph (I’ll admit) on the motorway where the engine is most at home and it will return about 44mpg. If I drop the cruising speed to 70 it will return 47/48 mpg. If I have to stick to 50mph for a stretch of roadworks, for example, the mpg will get to 50. I think that is incredible for a 2 litre 190 bhp engine. More spirited driving, which I can’t resist now and again, will reduce those figures considerably, but you’ve got to have some fun now and again.

How is everyone pulling out 40,50mpg out of a 2.0tfsi?

My 2.0 tdi Quattro does 37 urban cold engine, 48-50mpg at 70-80mph + little urban. 57mpg at 65. Highest out of a tank was 630 miles 51 litres.

Ignoring the trip mpg,
What’s the miles per tank?
Average Litres filled per tank?
Also type of driving, eg urban driving around London isn’t the same as urban around Truro.

Every one drives differently with a stronger or weaker pedal to the metal.

I'm in London and have achieved it with a mix of local journeys and motorways with the setting on Comfort. Obviously if the set up was set to Dynamic, then there's no way!

I think there's some rounding up going on here...
I know from my own tests that the trip computer is always quite optimistic, often showing about 2mpg more on average than is really the case if you calculate it yourself the old way.
For the record, my 40 TDI FWD auto easily gets 51-53mpg (calculated) across my normal driving at the moment in warmer weather, which does not include much urban use. As others have mentioned it very much depends on type of driving, mode of use, etc.

If you check the WLTP figures for the A4 then I think these will give a far more accurate idea of what to expect as they are done under far more realistic conditions than previously. So I think it is quite reasonable to expect a 40 TFSI to get on average around 8-10 mpg less than an equivalent diesel under the same driving conditions, which is not bad really.

Oh and there is also no noticeable vibration through the pedals or steering wheel....

I think there's some rounding up going on here...
I know from my own tests that the trip computer is always quite optimistic, often showing about 2mpg more on average than is really the case if you calculate it yourself the old way.
For the record, my 40 TDI FWD auto easily gets 51-53mpg (calculated) across my normal driving at the moment in warmer weather, which does not include much urban use.

That sounds right, my quattro should be a few mpg’s less, and I get 500~ miles to 48~ litres doing the same sort of driving. That’s roughly 48 mpg.

We also have a C350e, and that does about 45mpg around 70mph, but only manages 25-30mpg around Birmingham urban. That’s one of the most economical 2.0 petrol cars I’ve heard of. Of course from purely the combustion engine, 50 mpg combined out of a 2.0 tfsi baffles me!

I am going on my computer, so when it states I am getting 40mpg around town I cannot complain if it's actually 38...

I am going on my computer, so when it states I am getting 40mpg around town I cannot complain if it's actually 38...

Thats great though, I thought it would be around high 20’s early 30’s. The WLTP for low on a 40 tfsi is 31mpg.

Currently looking at a deal for a new A4 40TFSI engined car, but not sure if its the right move over my current 2.0TDI. Curious to see from those with experience of this engine what the real world MPG is? Thanks
If you're used to the fuel economy of the diesel, you'll regret getting a petrol, trust me. Having always owned an oil burner (diesel), i finally bought the A4 40 TFSI (190 PS) in 2018. Lovely car, but hated the fact i couldn't get more than 350-400 miles out of a full tank of fuel. I couldn't get more than 33-35 MPG and yet I was driving like a sissy. Sold the 40 TFSI 6 months later and earlier this year bought an A6 C8 40 TDI quattro. Now I'm getting more than 600 miles from a full tanl with real world MPG of 50+.

Reactions: jds_sg
Evening all

I'm currently in the process of looking for a new Audi A4 as I currently own a VW golf mk7 tdi hatchback. I'm looking at the 40TFSI and the 35TFSI specs. To any 35TFSI owners out there is it a powerful engine or is it underpowered? If it is slyly underpowered then I may gear more towards the 40TFSI.

Thats great though, I thought it would be around high 20’s early 30’s. The WLTP for low on a 40 tfsi is 31mpg.
I do have to drive like a granny to get that figure, if I drive say in a more 'interesting' manner then 30-35mpg is the norm. To be honest, and with the current price of a litre, I am more interested in the performance, dynamics, smoothness and not having the stink of diesel from a petrol engine...

I do have to drive like a granny to get that figure, if I drive say in a more 'interesting' manner then 30-35mpg is the norm. To be honest, and with the current price of a litre, I am more interested in the performance, dynamics, smoothness and not having the stink of diesel from a petrol engine...

Lol the 2.0 tdi isn’t rough or smelly. In fact it’s really smooth and very quiet. Sure a petrol is slightly smoother at idle and under acceleration, but it’s not much different. I’m comparing to the c350e.

Now electric motors are a different story...

Reactions: jds_sg and psychopomp1
All this talk about smelly diesels and the apparent joy of not having the stink of diesel when driving a petrol engined car, honestly is that just an attempt at baiting?
There would be something quite wrong if you could smell anything at all coming from the car you’re driving...

Reactions: monkeyhanger and psychopomp1
The 2.0TFSI EA888 3b as fitted to the A4 35 and 40 TFSI and Polo GTI (among others) can actually be quite lumpy at low speeds and idling on a cold start (almost a mild kangarooing - experienced it both on our 2 Polos - 1 with and one without GPF and a hired Arteon) e.g. when crawling out of your 10mph limit works car park or decelerating to a roundabout for the first mile or so after the cold start. That's attributable to cold start use of port injection. When the car has switched to direct injection it's a lot smoother.

It is a great engine, and makes short steps to bridging the gap between petrol and diesel, but at the end of the day, chemistry and thermodynamics are always going to favour diesel. The Budack cycle that this engine utilises is about 30% more efficient than standard otto/miller cycle petrol ignition. That's great, but it can only do it under extremely low loads (under 20kW output). At best, the A4 will only be able to run under 20kW for a quarter of its time, to give an 8% improvement overall unless you are driving everywhere at a constant 50mph.

Diesel is only 8% more energy dense than petrol, yet yields 30-50% more mpg because more of the heat generated is used to expand the gases of combustion (and all that air in excess) further for converting into kinetic energy utilised by the drivetrain for motion. Petrol chucks so much of its energy generated as heat straight out of the exhaust. That will always be the case unless they get the octane number so high that you can compress petrol so much before ignition that it might as well be a diesel.

Reactions: Pork
Thanks for the replies. I’ve been trying to get info on the new 204hp TFSI engine but not much to read up on. Does this new engine get any mild hybrid tech that would help MPG?

Its 12v so only a quoted 0.3 litres per 100 kilometres according to Audi. Is fuel expensive where you resume?

The 2.0TFSI EA888 3b as fitted to the A4 35 and 40 TFSI and Polo GTI (among others) can actually be quite lumpy at low speeds and idling on a cold start (almost a mild kangarooing - experienced it both on our 2 Polos - 1 with and one without GPF and a hired Arteon) e.g. when crawling out of your 10mph limit works car park or decelerating to a roundabout for the first mile or so after the cold start. That's attributable to cold start use of port injection. When the car has switched to direct injection it's a lot smoother.

It is a great engine, and makes short steps to bridging the gap between petrol and diesel, but at the end of the day, chemistry and thermodynamics are always going to favour diesel. The Budack cycle that this engine utilises is about 30% more efficient than standard otto/miller cycle petrol ignition. That's great, but it can only do it under extremely low loads (under 20kW output). At best, the A4 will only be able to run under 20kW for a quarter of its time, to give an 8% improvement overall unless you are driving everywhere at a constant 50mph.

Diesel is only 8% more energy dense than petrol, yet yields 30-50% more mpg because more of the heat generated is used to expand the gases of combustion (and all that air in excess) further for converting into kinetic energy utilised by the drivetrain for motion. Petrol chucks so much of its energy generated as heat straight out of the exhaust. That will always be the case unless they get the octane number so high that you can compress petrol so much before ignition that it might as well be a diesel.
I really don't understand where you get this stuff from, the engine in my car, and the ones I have tested, have been the smoothest, quietest and the most refined out of any car I have driven, and also at idle. There is no lumpiness at any speed or rpm range. I really don't know you are also comparing a transverse setup of this engine which has different mounts, gearbox and ancillary components...

I really don't understand where you get this stuff from, the engine in my car, and the ones I have tested, have been the smoothest, quietest and the most refined out of any car I have driven, and also at idle. There is no lumpiness at any speed or rpm range. I really don't know you are also comparing a transverse setup of this engine which has different mounts, gearbox and ancillary components...

Regardless of transverse or longitudinal engine set-up, the engine is fundamentally the same, and if you have an initial crawl from cold (like leaving a car park at no more than 10mph, that slight tremor is there in port injection mode for up to the first mile. Don't feel it setting off from home when I can be driving higher than 10mph immediately and the car is running direct injection. Longitudinal gearboxes surely won't mask what the engine is doing when the transverse set-ups won't.

Its 12v so only a quoted 0.3 litres per 100 kilometres according to Audi. Is fuel expensive where you resume?
It’s not the price of the fuel, just how I’m used to Diesel.....considering I use my current A4 for business duties. The additional money to pay for petrol over diesel would be something I would need to pay for, so just wary about the amount this could be.

On a separate note, I’m raging you can’t get the 40tdi in non Quattro. I would be forced to look at the 35tdi due to the monthlies!