Caliper wind back tool

Whodafunk

Reaction score
I've tried to wind back my offside rear caliper with a tool that turns clockwise but it wont budge. Does anyone know if it turns anticlockwise and I need a different tool?

I have a 2007 A3 3.2, thanks

I'm going to be doing mine this weekend, so not had first hand experience yet, but im fairly certain that it should wind in clockwise. I think that's what ive read. mines only the 2.0 tdi 140, but I think they would be the same/very similar. if you don't get the issue resolved before I do mine i'll let you know my findings bud

Assume you did undo the fluid cap aswell.

Clockwise is correct. They can be an absolute PITA sometimes. You just have to persevere.Make sure the tool is centred on the piston.
If it's "off" it will jam.

Clockwise is correct. They can be an absolute PITA sometimes. You just have to persevere.Make sure the tool is centred on the piston.
If it's "off" it will jam.

This, exactly.
I've had fun and games over the years with various VAG models in the family that all use this caliper with the same fundamental design.
If you exert too much force on the piston I find that it can also jam and not retract.
I therefore always try to turn the piston (and get it moving) before I start really screwing the wind-back tool in.
Sometimes I find the pistons retract easily, othertimes it can be a pig of a job.

Hate to tell you but the S3 3.2 R32 rear calipers are prone to seizing, good luck though mate, just had 2 new ones on mine!

Thanks for your help guys. I've ordered another caliper, but that in itself has been a nightmare. Ordered part no. BHS1025e for offside rear caliper made by TRW. Went to pick it up on 4 occasions and it was a left hand side caliper in a right hand side box. I've ordered both sides now hoping I get the right one

Assume you did undo the fluid cap aswell.

Ha, yes I did thanks. Wouldn't budge for love nor money. I joke but I spent 10 minutes trying to get the caliper off and realised I hadn't released the handbrake off :)

Ha, yes I did thanks. Wouldn't budge for love nor money. I joke but I spent 10 minutes trying to get the caliper off and realised I hadn't released the handbrake off :)

HaHa. We've all been there mate... ....:frowning:

It's unlikely to be the calliper seizing if the brakes felt alright before you took it off. Agree with the earlier post, do not pressure on the piston with the wind back tool, just turn and take the slack so the toool doesn't fall out. It's in the touch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk