Caliper knock in reverse?

RYes3

Reaction score
Hi,

Had my brand new S3 over a week now but I have noticed a knocking when I reverse and touch the brakes. It definitely comes from one of the front wheels (think driver side). It only does it once unless I move forward and then use the brakes again. Then next time I am in reverse I get the knock again on applying brake.

I am thinking possibly a loose caliper/pad?

Any ideas? Looks like it will be going back to the dealers again :(

Last time this happened to me was a loose wishbone bolt and it felt like something was falling off. Just needed nipping up.

i had this problem once on my a4 turns out genuine audi pads are directional they have an arrow stamped into the stainless steel spring clip that fits inside the piston get this wrong and they will clunk when braking

Well, took the car in to Audi under warranty last week to have this looked at.

When I got there and explained the problem fully the service manager made hints that this was normal. I wasn't happy with this so I asked for a technician to sit in the car while I demo'ed the issue. This happened and the technician said he had heard it before. He also said it is nothing to worry about... I was getting angry by this point! In my opinion, a £35K car should make no clunking noises whatsoever!

Anyhow, I demanded that they keep it in to look at...

Later on that day I get a call to tell m ethat there is no issue with it and that th eclunking is normal... I'm not impressed to be honest :(

which is very common all over the 8p chassis though they do tend to go at 40k+

I've had 2 8p3 S3's, they've both done this.

first one i got with 14k on clock. always did it right up to 30k when I sold it.

second one was brand new. now 9k, still does it.

My Dealer says its normal too.

Dont worry.

Plough on.

These things are annoying, maybe get the dealer to prove its normal by taking you out in another new car and demonstrate to you that does it as well ?

Martin

Just because its normal doesn't mean its wrong the bearing will eventually collapse then it will be noisey

It's just a pad with a tiny bit of 'slop'. Normal braking you never hear it, reverse it clicks to the back of the calliper, first application in forward it clicks to the normal driving position. I've never heard of it causing any grief. First pad change will probably cure it. It's only a few thou.

Last edited:
bearing lol, ok so some pads do this, its very obvious the pads have the sighest wrong size maybe even 1mm

ive had this before and it quite normal. i understand it may not feel/sound normal but theres not much you can do to be honest,
let me explain

now image your looking at the pads in the callipers you can freely move the pads up and down about 1ish mm, now when your braking in a FORWARD motion the pads will press up against the upper part of the caliper by forces as you can image when you brake the pad wants to follow the disc round, when your in reverse and you touch the brakes the pads move downwards and knock against the caliper,

imho. ignore it as its not an issue or have the pads changed, and id bet a tenner they didnt use copper slip, which will dampen the noise.

no bearing issues here

It's probably just a bit of pad knock off.
With the sliding caliper setup in S3's the outer pads aren't held securely like the inners,and as such can move slightly in the caliper.
This is magnified in change of direction type braking,like the first time you apply them in reverse.
Try reversing and braking several times whilst still in reverse.
Bet you only hear it the first time.

mine does this, and as several other people say its just a small amount os slop between the pad and the calliper thats "taken up" when changing direction. If it was a bearing it would do it on every application of the pedal.

Most here are forgetting it should be OEM pads on the car at that many miles they should be perfect with no rocks or anything my car is

How can people accept that this is ok to live with? if you spend 35k on a car which is ment to be a premium marque, you expect it to be without any knocking. I'd make them have the car back out of principle if Audi are not addressing or even accepting the issue. Infact I wouldn't accept it even if it was a cheapy Korean car.

Maybbe worth contacting Audi UK directly?

You're being a mardy ****. It's the pad clunking and that's all. My S3 does it.

I've got a similar issue at the moment. It never used to do this, but my S3 has for the last week started knocking from the front when I brake lightly. Sometimes this does not occur until the pitch of the road changes again and the faster I go the quicker the series of knocks (usually around 2 to 5 seperate knocks) when I brake. These knocks can be felt through the brake pedal as well.

Taking the car along the highway earlier and cruising above 100km/h I can actually feel something something touching somewhere lightly, again through the brake pedal, and there is definitely a metallic friction noise somewhere. The front pads and discs were replaced a month ago.

Thanks for the replies people! Looks like it may be something to ignore then :(

Got to say though, seriously ****** off as little a problem as it seems!

On another note though... what an effing car!!! I absolutely love it, this DSG box is just immense!