1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

C8 Gearbox after recent Software Update - How does it compare?

sigibbons Oct 4, 2020

1. sigibbons

sigibbons Registered User

Hi All

I am considering a new 50TDi A6 Allroad and would like to ask how the gearbox compares after the recent software update people have had done to remedy the sluggish gear change and function generally.

I am choosing between this and a BMW 530d Touring, which I have already owned in the latest G31 shape. This has the ZF gearbox, but I think the A6 does too. Has anybody driven the two and can make a comparison?

Is the gearbox and general driving dynamics good after the software update? Or is the 50TDi A6 platform generally a bit unresponsive and vague?

Thank you!

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. NewAudiA6

NewAudiA6 New Member

As a recent owner of Audi A6 50 TDI, I initially thought that the car was sluggish and very slow to response. I had a software update from my local dealer and since then the car has improved quite a bit. But having said that I still find 2 liter engines far more responsive in initial gears. I just drove Audi Q5 40 TDI and the engine there seems more free raving. I recently also drove BMW 5 series 530d and I found that slightly better but nothing very different that Audi 3 liter. May be that the way 3 liters engine work.

4. Diazro

Diazro Registered User

Did you had a software update for your gearbox here in the UK? What month/year is your car?

5. NewAudiA6

NewAudiA6 New Member

Yes. In UK. I have Audi A6 2019 50TDI

6. TG_A6_50tdi_quattro

TG_A6_50tdi_quattro Registered User

I had the update (23CK) on my 2020 A6 50tdi on Sept. 29th while in for warranty work, the difference is very noticeable! I thought I was in sport mode when I pulled out from dealership but was in drive.

I didn't feel the lag was that bad before the update but I now think it was, the shifts are now much quicker and I haven't had the problem when pulling from junctions when slowly approaching and need to pull out quickly into moving traffic. Before it would take a second before anything would happen, but now the power is there straight away. In sport its brutal, it feels like a different beast now IMO. Sorry can't compare to a BMW as not driven one.

I asked about the update a few months ago and was told it did not effect my car, then when in the other week they said it was carried out while in. I asked why and was told the update was being rolled out by batch number which is determined by build year and month - this could be dealer BS but that's what they said.

7. EssexJohn

EssexJohn Registered User

Totally agree with the above post. See the thread started and finished by me here:
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...urbo-lag-issues-software-update.418153/page-2

The car is now as it should have been "out of the box". It just feels completely right now. Always in the right gear at the right time. I had previously owned 2 A6s with this engine and gearbox combination, covering more than 200k miles. the last one a 3.0 BiTdi. When I first bought this latest car I was so disappointed with the gearbox programming but now it is just right. Mine was registered May 19 and I've owned for 6 months.

For what its worth I had a 20 plate 3.0 TDI Allroad loan car for the day when my updates were being done. That drove perfectly too.

To anyone thinking about buying one of these...ensure the update is done and enjoy the car!

8. sigibbons

sigibbons Registered User

Thanks guys, this is really useful to hear and has put my mind at ease for future ownership. A bad gearbox can really spoil a good car so glad to hear it is sorted.

9. Vk100

Vk100 New Member

Hi please can you advise which dealership you took your car too? I have a 2020 sep a8 50tdi with the same lag issues and the car is really sluggish to drive. My dealer Solihull Audi says this is how the car is and nothing wrong with it. Many thanks.

10. ascr

ascr Registered User

Hi,

I had mine updated at that dealership (Birmingham Audi in Solihull) a couple of months back. As many have said a vast improvement on the original setup.

The recall regime will inevitably vary between models, indeed are you aware if there is even an update out there for the A8? Whilst you may not be happy with the performance of yours, it might be that it is the same as the upgraded A6's. I mean we were being upgraded from a very low base point, initial performance was diabolical for a new motor.

Try and get a test drive in a new A6 50 if you can and then do a comparison with yours and see if there is a marked difference.