Bye Bye S3

FamilymanS310

Reaction score
Well that didnt last long, the car had some positive points, but oh my goodness, it was dull as dish water to drive. For a supposed premium hot hatch i found it really disappointing, it was great if all you cared about was the traffic light g.p, and a good 0 - 60 time, but for me that just doesnt cut it.

Ive always loved cars that communicate with you and cars that handle great, and im sorry to say in that regard the S3 is well below par. Show it a corner with any kind of enthusiasm and it rewards you with no feedback at all from anywhere, its just completely numb, it did nothing to ignite any of my senses at all.
And dont get me started on the understeer, initial turn in inst too bad, but try getting back on the power as you would think you should be able to in a hot hatch and it just understeers and understeers some more. It needs a quaife lsd dropping in the front, that would transform it.
You would think an S3 with quattro would be able to lay its power exiting a corner but most front drive hot hatches are in another league.

This is going to sound stupid, but compared to a fiesta st etc, the S3 is about as exciting as being a passenger on a bus.
I considered lightly modifying it to improve its handling, but this is a 35 grand Audi S3 with 310 ps and a 7 speed dsg, it should be fun straight from the factory. How can ford make a fiesta ten times more fun for half the money.
Audi has lost my business for good im afraid with all the predictable, understeering, boring cars.

So long.

Well that didnt last long, the car had some positive points, but oh my goodness, it was dull as dish water to drive. For a supposed premium hot hatch i found it really disappointing, it was great if all you cared about was the traffic light g.p, and a good 0 - 60 time, but for me that just doesnt cut it.

Ive always loved cars that communicate with you and cars that handle great, and im sorry to say in that regard the S3 is well below par. Show it a corner with any kind of enthusiasm and it rewards you with no feedback at all from anywhere, its just completely numb, it did nothing to ignite any of my senses at all.
And dont get me started on the understeer, initial turn in inst too bad, but try getting back on the power as you would think you should be able to in a hot hatch and it just understeers and understeers some more. It needs a quaife lsd dropping in the front, that would transform it.
You would think an S3 with quattro would be able to lay its power exiting a corner but most front drive hot hatches are in another league.

This is going to sound stupid, but compared to a fiesta st etc, the S3 is about as exciting as being a passenger on a bus.
I considered lightly modifying it to improve its handling, but this is a 35 grand Audi S3 with 310 ps and a 7 speed dsg, it should be fun straight from the factory. How can ford make a fiesta ten times more fun for half the money.
Audi has lost my business for good im afraid with all the predictable, understeering, boring cars.

So long.
So you really loved the car then ???? Only joking buddy.
At the end of the day its down to personal wants/needs/feelings, did you not take the car for a good test drive prior to buying ?? I would say the S3 is a gentlemen's express and if you want all out hooligan fun then yes other cars for less will meet that mantra.
What are you thinking of next mate ?

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
Do not buy a 4wd car if you want feedback (scary times) from the car, maybe you wasn't testing it enough ? What tracks did you take it round ?
I saw Allan McNish drift an A4 with all four tyres smoking at Castle Coombe and the passenger seemed very happy.

Reactions: pburv
So you really loved the car then ???? Only joking buddy.
At the end of the day its down to personal wants/needs/feelings, did you not take the car for a good test drive prior to buying ?? I would say the S3 is a gentlemen's express and if you want all out hooligan fun then yes other cars for less will meet that mantra.
What are you thinking of next mate ?
I would suggest a Hyundai I30N..Have fancied one for a while but they don't do one with an auto box.:shrug:

Reactions: Jcbmally and Jassyo06
Never understood people wanting or expecting excitement from a Quattro. It’s never going to be as driver focused or enjoyable as something that’s RWD.

Personal preference, but I think with the weather we have 90% of the time in the UK it’s better to have all wheel drive. The S3 might not be the most exciting car of all time but it is very capable and point to point there’s not much it can’t keep up with.

My friends just got a M4 and he loves how driver focussed it is but admits unless the conditions are perfect he can’t get anywhere near the cars performance. Plus with the roads as congested as they are, there’s not many roads near me at least that I can push my S3 to the absolute limit without driving like a muppet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally, N.J.H, pburv and 1 other person

So long.
Why so many ppl ridding of S3s?
I want it.. Is it so bad?
So what fiesta does better?

Why so many ppl ridding of S3s?
I want it.. Is it so bad?
So what fiesta does better?

It's about personal preference. The OP describes well what he doesn't like about the S3.

Search for official reviews of the Fiesta ST, they all say how engaging the car is to drive. (you get full feedback from car, nothing is taken away by the clever 4WD and you know exactly when you're about to stuff it)

Last edited:
That’s how I felt about my S3, extremely effective in power delivery. It just isn’t a sports car, it’s more of a GT.

People mock my MX5 but it’s so much fun to drive, puts a smile on your face everyday.

Reactions: Jcbmally, JDHOWELLS, S32B and 2 others
The Smart Roadster Brabus is good fun despite having a 700 cc engine and 101 bhp.
Each to their own, my brother has an ST stage 2, he loves it. I prefer a fast comfortable car to transport my family in style and be able to smoke some/most people when I want to :)
Oh and technically I said bye to my S3 too recently but I moved to an S4 so it doesn't count :grimacing:

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv
Never understood people wanting or expecting excitement from a Quattro. It’s never going to be as driver focused or enjoyable as something that’s RWD.

Personal preference, but I think with the weather we have 90% of the time in the UK it’s better to have all wheel drive. The S3 might not be the most exciting car of all time but it is very capable and point to point there’s not much it can’t keep up with.

My friends just got a M4 and he loves how driver focussed it is but admits unless the conditions are perfect he can’t get anywhere near the cars performance. Plus with the roads as congested as they are, there’s not many roads near me at least that I can push my S3 to the absolute limit without driving like a muppet.

Too true mate, all good points. Not often you read about people not loving their S3’s, but horses for courses and all that

Reactions: Jcbmally, Bells, Mr Freeze and 3 others
I think to all the people who don’t love their S3’s or any performance Audi’s after buying them have had their expectations set too high and bought the wrong car in the first place. Don’t blame the car for being too boring when it’s not set up to be fun in the first place. It’s a car that’s designed to be an all rounder which is why so many people love them.

And comparing a fiesta st to an s3 is like comparing Apple to oranges.

Reactions: Jcbmally, N.J.H, Peter Peter and 1 other person
That’s how I felt about my S3, extremely effective in power delivery. It just isn’t a sports car, it’s more of a GT.

People mock my MX5 but it’s so much fun to drive, puts a smile on your face everyday.
MX5 has always been a drivers car,I used to subscribe to Evo years back and some of the uncomfortable truths back then was in the knowledge section at the back Renaults were top of the pile hatchback wise for driving, dunno what is now.

Reactions: Jcbmally
MX5 has always been a drivers car,I used to subscribe to Evo years back and some of the uncomfortable truths back then was in the knowledge section at the back Renaults were top of the pile hatchback wise for driving, dunno what is now.

Isn’t the Megane RS still rated quite highly.

I’d say atm the car for driver involvement could be the bonkers Civic Type R perhaps ?

The all weather grip of 4 wheel drive is the main draw for me too. All weather traction, especially in rain makes a big difference if you have a high powered car.

Audi led the way, but even BMW and Mercedes offer 4wd now ... says it all.

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, Bells and 2 others

I’d say atm the car for driver involvement could be the bonkers Civic Type R perhaps ?

The all weather grip of 4 wheel drive is the main draw for me too. All weather traction, especially in rain makes a big difference if you have a high powered car.

Summed up perfectly. I love our S3 for what it does overall, but I wouldn't get one if I was looking for a weekend blast only. Megane RS appeals to be big time, but not a family car. Can't get the idea of a R26.R for a weekend toy out of my head :yes:

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
I think to all the people who don’t love their S3’s or any performance Audi’s after buying them have had their expectations set too high and bought the wrong car in the first place. Don’t blame the car for being too boring when it’s not set up to be fun in the first place. It’s a car that’s designed to be an all rounder which is why so many people love them.

And comparing a fiesta st to an s3 is like comparing Apple to oranges.

That was my problem, I expected a bit more involvement but you don’t get that with DSG and Quattro.

The S3 is a brilliant car though.

Reactions: N.J.H and Snake Pliskin
Interesting post and i would agree to an extent as i came from an extremely fun SEAT Leon Cupra 290 to a 2019 Audi S3. I realised that in order to have fun in the SEAT, the conditions had be relatively good with minimal moisture on the road otherwise it was extremely limited an actually putting any significant power down. This problem has been eliminated with the S3 which is what i wanted considering we have poor weather most of the year in the UK. But then im left feeling abit numb with a car the handles less well and isnt as fun!.

Its really a catch 22. Money is also another factor... im only paying £400 per month (zero deposit) for my new S3 so at that price point there is no viable alternative to suit my needs i.e. light, fast, AWD and practical

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin and TYb
Interesting post and i would agree to an extent as i came from an extremely fun SEAT Leon Cupra 290 to a 2019 Audi S3. I realised that in order to have fun in the SEAT, the conditions had be relatively good with minimal moisture on the road otherwise it was extremely limited an actually putting any significant power down. This problem has been eliminated with the S3 which is what i wanted considering we have poor weather most of the year in the UK. But then im left feeling abit numb with a car the handles less well and isnt as fun!.

Its really a catch 22. Money is also another factor... im only paying £400 per month (zero deposit) for my new S3 so at that price point there is no viable alternative to suit my needs i.e. light, AWD and practical

I think that’s a key point, there isn’t much which can match a Golf R, S3 and A35 for value and performance.

Reactions: N.J.H and Snake Pliskin
Reactions: Jcbmally, S32B and Snake Pliskin
Wow! Cheers mate. I will keep an eye out for that.. Should be competition for S3's then? Maybe not on build quality or residuals but you can almost guarantee it will give the S3 a run for it's money on the track.
Oh! and on price..:thumbs up:
Regarding price.....
https://configure.hyundai.co.uk/build/i30-n/summary?exterior=micron-grey
Should imagine they will put price up by 2-5 k when new model comes out...Brings the price in line with what Audi were pricing S3's back in 2015.
If that was the case then it should be a strong contender if considering an S3 or Merc/Bmw in that price bracket??

Reactions: Jcbmally, S32B and Snake Pliskin

Don't understand u had nearly half of year to test limits of the car as the roads /motorways been empty .. You won't be any ''muppet'' if u go to undisclosed location (which uk has plenty) and have some neeed for speeeed ... Buy an sport car only to show off or rev it and drive it around village roads is muppety pathetic and naive ..

That's woman car .. like this :D

Attachments

• gettyimages-182158071-2048x2048.jpg
    gettyimages-182158071-2048x2048.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 271
Wow! Cheers mate. I will keep an eye out for that.. Should be competition for S3's then? Maybe not on build quality or residuals but you can almost guarantee it will give the S3 a run for it's money on the track.
Oh! and on price..:thumbs up:

A lad I work with has one, he said they also let you use the car on the track without any effect on the warranty! That's confidence for you! 12% off on C2C, but that's the current model.

Think I'll hold out for this GT86 replacement, if it looks like this then :icon thumright:
Gr85

Reactions: pburv and Bells
Don't understand u had nearly half of year to test limits of the car as the roads /motorways been empty .. You won't be any ''muppet'' if u go to undisclosed location (which uk has plenty) and have some neeed for speeeed ... Buy an sport car only to show off or rev it and drive it around village roads is muppety pathetic and naive ..
Don’t really get your point either a pandemic is hardly an excuse to go out pushing your car to the limit, if you want to do that you take it on a track simple. Like the guy caught in a RS6 during lockdown doing 200mph on the motorway he deserves everything he gets.

Just because people buy a ‘performance car’ it doesn’t mean you have to drive it like you stole it every time you go out.

Reactions: N.J.H, TYb, Chris.D and 3 others
Drive a car on a trackday if you want to test it as
1) all the drivers are going in the right direction
2) you haven't got anyone who is just driving the car from a to b (heaven forbid)
3) medical help is within 10 minutes away
4) stewards/marshals will give you advice (flags) if you drive a bit wild
5) a tractor is not going to be in the middle of the road after the next corner

Reactions: AdamInKent, Jcbmally, pburv and 2 others
Don’t really get your point either a pandemic is hardly an excuse to go out pushing your car to the limit, if you want to do that you take it on a track simple. Like the guy caught in a RS6 during lockdown doing 200mph on the motorway he deserves everything he gets.

Just because people buy a ‘performance car’ it doesn’t mean you have to drive it like you stole it every time you go out.
Who said every time just once in a while.. Stealed car won't drive mad on motorway but at residential streets when cops pursuing them..
I don't mean only motorway but completely abandoned roads where one car passes (how day is long..) which youtubers use..
I know you know what I mean

From what @S32B has posted above maybe the new I30 N will have 4 wheel drive?

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin
A lad I work with has one, he said they also let you use the car on the track without any effect on the warranty! That's confidence for you! 12% off on C2C, but that's the current model.

Think I'll hold out for this GT86 replacement, if it looks like this then :icon thumright:
View attachment 206533
Is that the car which is the BMW Z4 but different body?

Reactions: Jassyo06
I think that’s a key point, there isn’t much which can match a Golf R, S3 and A35 for value and performance.

I think the next BMW M3 with XDRIVE will be the closest thing to the perfect daily driver that ticks every single possible box however it will cost £700-800 per month. Similarly the current BMW M5 with switchable XDRIVE is around £900 per month used so ultimately for the price i do think the S3 is the best all round value for money car on the market. Note the road tax, insurance, tyres, servicing, warranty on the BMW M3/M5 will 2-3x the price of the S3. There is really no better value all rounder that i can think of

Reactions: TYb and N.J.H
I think the next BMW M3 with XDRIVE will be the closest thing to the perfect daily driver that ticks every single possible box however it will cost £700-800 per month. Similarly the current BMW M5 with switchable XDRIVE is around £900 per month used so ultimately for the price i do think the S3 is the best all round value for money car on the market. Note the road tax, insurance, tyres, servicing, warranty on the BMW M3/M5 will 2-3x the price of the S3. There is really no better value all rounder that i can think of

Hmm, jumping from S3 to M3/M5. What about the M340i?

Hmm, jumping from S3 to M3/M5. What about the M340i?

Reports suggest the M340i is numb and quite sterile and cost significantly more than the S3 new. The next M3 will be the closest DD car to perfection built to date at under £800 per month. That price however counts me out!

l drive the Mrs 2018 Fiesta ST-line 1-0 ecoboost handling not too dissimilar to the actual ST and it handles superbly, love throwing it into bends and corners. So the 197 bhp ST with all the extra oomph must be even better to drive.....BUT....its a pile of cheap TAT compared to any Audi inside and out.....never mind a S3 The Focus ST is of higher build quality than the Fiesta ST.......l could live with it but the Fiesta ST3 can get quite expensive.....for example every time l open the drivers door l am met with a under painted/clear coat door sill....kinda like what you get in a Audi engine bay.....

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and S32B
Is that the car which is the BMW Z4 but different body?
The Toyota Supra is the BMW Z4 in disguise :) Watch what they find in the boot :p

l drive the Mrs 2018 Fiesta ST-line 1-0 ecoboost handling not too dissimilar to the actual ST and it handles superbly, love throwing it into bends and corners. So the 197 bhp ST with all the extra oomph must be even better to drive.....BUT....its a pile of cheap TAT compared to any Audi inside and out.....never mind a S3 The Focus ST is of higher build quality than the Fiesta ST.......l could live with it but the Fiesta ST3 can get quite expensive.....for example every time l open the drivers door l am met with a under painted/clear coat door sill....kinda like what you get in a Audi engine bay.....
Tell me about the ST getting expensive!!! Under £300 before lockdown via pcp, now £370 for the same car on pcp!!!

Quote when I decided to get one after my test drive early March:

St1

They said order in June for September delivery....then lockdown came along!

Today's quote for the same car:
Over £25,000 list for a Fiesta with one option of a paint colour...and the cheapest colour white!!!

St2

The Toyota Supra is the BMW Z4 in disguise :) Watch what they find in the boot :p

Tell me about the ST getting expensive!!! Under £300 before lockdown via pcp, now £370 for the same car on pcp!!!

View attachment 206544

Over £25,000 list for a Fiesta with one option of a paint colour...and the cheapest colour white!!!

View attachment 206545

Lol.. Badge snobbery will be a big factor when deciding between the Z4 and the Z4 ooops! I mean the Supra ha ha.
BMW Z4 around £36k for base model compared to £51k for the Supra..Tough choice.
As for price increase on the St are you surprised?. The finance companies are just covering themselves for potential 'fallout' due to Covid crisis??

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and S32B
Lol.. Badge snobbery will be a big factor when deciding between the Z4 and the Z4 ooops! I mean the Supra ha ha.
BMW Z4 around £36k for base model compared to £51k for the Supra..Tough choice.
As for price increase on the St are you surprised?. The finance companies are just covering themselves for potential 'fallout' due to Covid crisis??
Apparently the Supra is coming with a 2.0 engine next year which will knock the price down, it does look good and has a hard top! :) more angry looking than the Z4's flash looks :) Plus a 5 year warranty always helps.

I understand why they have put prices up, but they have shot themselves in the foot, I know a few people who were due to change cars this year, all have said they'll keep what they have....me included :p
A BMW sales guy spoke to me late June, all very keen, he said I'll wait until the new deals are out in July and call you again then...the new deals came out and are worse! Not heard from him :D

Apparently the Supra is coming with a 2.0 engine next year which will knock the price down, it does look good and has a hard top! :) more angry looking than the Z4's flash looks :) Plus a 5 year warranty always helps.

I understand why they have put prices up, but they have shot themselves in the foot, I know a few people who were due to change cars this year, all have said they'll keep what they have....me included :p
A BMW sales guy spoke to me late June, all very keen, he said I'll wait until the new deals are out in July and call you again then...the new deals came out and are worse! Not heard from him :D
Typical dealer response.........ie None:stupid:
I suppose if you want to be different then yeah go for the Supra but for gods sake don't go for the 2.0 litre version.. It will be like having the Ford mustang with the ecoboost engine fitted..All looks and no go lol

Reactions: NevMan, S32B and N.J.H

Been following this chanel on youtube whilst in 'lockdown'

Reactions: S32B

View attachment 206544

View attachment 206545

Oooohhhh I like VBH a lot. Met her at Goodwood, did i mention I really like her a lot :yes::sex::thumbs up:

Reactions: NevMan and pburv