Bye bye S3

SilureMark

Reaction score
Today's my last day with my S3 as tomorrow I collect my new Floret Silver TTS s-tronic.

I have covered 37,000 miles over just under two years - am I sad to see it go? Well, quick summary first:

Good - 100% reliable, low running costs, straight line performance, grip, interior, build quality, subtle looks

Not so good - driving position, adjustment in steering column, rattling window frames, pop-up sat nav screen, Audi sound system, Drive Select, retained value

To describe my ownership experience, I'd say it's not been a car I have really jelled with. The driving position has never been something I could live with; I can't sit low enough and have the steering wheel close to me. I know other people have found this with the S3. The SS seats I have are comfortable, but I always feel like I am sitting on a bar stool. All of that spoils the driving experience for me. The sat nav screen I rarely have on show, as I just find it too distracting and the Audi sound system has been a big disappointment. I should have gone with B&O. Performance wise, not a lot can get past you if you have a mind to put your foot down. Even my mates RS5 can only keep up with me, he can't get past. there's also the looks - I like the fact that the S3 is quite subtle, but there's been many a time when I glance back at my S3 and think to myself that Audi could have done a little more to make the car look, err, sporty? I suppose it is a compact hatchback, so there's only so much you can do with that. The final word on my S3 is I supposed 'disappointing'. When I first test drove the new TTS I was very surprised how much better it was than my S3 - in almost very department, but particularly the interior, driving position, handling and above all, looks. So, I have just set everything back to Factory Settings, dug out the spare keys and it's adios, but not adios amigos I'm afraid. It's not been emotional, but the TTS now awaits and I don't think I will sleep tonight!

Thank you to all of you who've 'spoken' to on this forum. Cheers. Mark.

Reactions: Primolak, SW14NY'S, Pulp84 and 8 others
Enjoy the TT, I enjoyed mine and a TTS is top of my 'next car list' at the moment.

Reactions: pburv and Daveotto
Enjoy the new motor. Funnily enough my windows randomly rattle and it annoys the hell outta me. Is there a fix?

Today's my last day with my S3 as tomorrow I collect my new Floret Silver TTS s-tronic.

I have covered 37,000 miles over just under two years - am I sad to see it go? Well, quick summary first:

Good - 100% reliable, low running costs, straight line performance, grip, interior, build quality, subtle looks

Not so good - driving position, adjustment in steering column, rattling window frames, pop-up sat nav screen, Drive Select, retained value

Thank you to all of you who've 'spoken' to on this forum. Cheers. Mark.

have covered 57500 miles / 93000km and agree 100% with your pros and cons.

B&O is an extra to keep in mind.

also what I don't like is a short 6th gear.

in the RS3 at 180km/h we are at 3000rpm 7th gear
in the S3 at 180km/h we are at 4000rpm 6th gear

regards

Enjoy the new car @SilureMark im sure you will enjoy. Don't forget the pics of the TT. :)

Reactions: pburv
Enjoy the Floret Silver TTS as that's also top of my next car list at the moment (or a Porsche Macan).

Agree with nearly all your pros and cons except I find the Audi speakers to be ok and driving position is also OK for me, even in 5-6 hour drives, but agree in the TTS it's even better.

Still think for the money the overall S3 package is top notch

Reactions: sjbarneS3, Pulp84 and pburv
Like Sandra has said show us all some pics...Who knows maybe see you in the TT forum when it's time to change mine...:bye:

Nearly ordered one of these 2 weeks ago..with a Awesome spec ...Exclusive paint...Ara blue.£48k....a lot of money...think i was getting almost 24% odd discount..off but hey the rest is history on another thread....TTS...only gripes....Hankook tyres are standard on 19" rims...if your lucky but not too lucky you'll get Contis...or Bridgestones,the VC.....awesome piece of kit...but one trick Pony...MAJOR GRIPE with the TTS....especially you choosing silver....only a Anorak car fud, could tell the difference between your car and a S-Line...the TTS needs a Exterior Black package/exterior design kit to make it stand out...all the rest about the car is good...the TTRS....looks awesome....

Reactions: pburv, Snake Pliskin, Daveotto and 1 other person
Enjoy the TTS. One of my favourite cars at the moment. I've said it before and I'll say it again.....probably one of the best cars I've driven for a while.

Enjoy the Floret Silver TTS as that's also top of my next car list at the moment (or a Porsche Macan).

Agree with nearly all your pros and cons except I find the Audi speakers to be ok and driving position is also OK for me, even in 5-6 hour drives, but agree in the TTS it's even better.

Still think for the money the overall S3 package is top notch

Off topic, but I followed a Macan Turbo today... Damn!!!! :yes:

Off topic, but I followed a Macan Turbo today... Damn!!!! :yes:

Quoted 11 months for a factory order when I looked last October at **** Lovett in Bristol. Believe its still a long wait for one. Very popular.

Couldn't find any in the UK without £15k-£20k of extras. Makes it a bit too pricey. Super lovely to drive as well as to look at :sunglasses:

TTS however in my humble opinion drives even better......

Quoted 11 months for a factory order when I looked last October at **** Lovett in Bristol. Believe its still a long wait for one. Very popular.

Couldn't find any in the UK without £15k-£20k of extras. Makes it a bit too pricey. Super lovely to drive as well as to look at :sunglasses:

TTS however in my humble opinion drives even better......

For me it may come down to how much space I need when I change in something lIke 1-2 years and I would be comparing a new TTS to an approx 2 years old Macan

For me it may come down to how much space I need when I change in something lIke 1-2 years and I would be comparing a new TTS to an approx 2 years old Macan

They are holding their money like no other car at the moment. I suspect even in 2 years they will be commanding silly premiums.

Auto Express confirms http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/macan/94355/long-term-test-review-porsche-macan

Nice choice to be making @Daveotto.......going to be hard to choose between the two!

Reactions: veeeight and Daveotto
They are holding their money like no other car at the moment. I suspect even in 2 years they will be commanding silly premiums.

If that is the case, no competition , TTS all the way

Reactions: Pulp84
Well you defo picked the right colour :)
Floret silver is :sunglasses:

We picked up our floret audis 3 weeks ago and the colour is just amazing ... a really lovely dark shade of silver almost Mercury looking ... it gets a lot of positive comments.
So yeah I'm sure you will love the paint choice.

Really pleased with our TT too. A great improvement over the Mark II, which I was a fan of having owned two. The mark III looks really modern inside & out and feels really well put together. Visually they are a stunning package.

The virtual cockpit has endless options and will keep you entertained for hours :)

Overall really great car and sure you will enjoy yours & look forward to write up and pics when you get it :yes:

Reactions: Daveotto and Sandra
Thanks for the post. Totally get it. I do love my S3 saloon but I have a kid and therefore it was the choice above a TTs, need the four doors. I got the B&O as well and it is lovely.

Looking forward to pics. Enjoy!

TTS vs 5year old boy...Hmmmmm
Really starting to like this car..... but as above suggests.How do I convince the better half the practicality or lack of.....******!! :sos:

Reactions: Primolak
Really starting to like this car..... but as above suggests.How do I convince the better half the practicality or lack of.....******!! :sos:
There should be plenty of room in the boot for a 5 year! :) OR put the wife in the boot and the 5 year old in the front passenger seat ;)

Reactions: Primolak, pburv, FBF01 and 1 other person

This guy likes the TTS :)

A Glacier TTS is camper than a row of Pink Tents,definitley not the colour of a TTS/TT a guy should be driving around in...it looks best in Daytona or even better but more costlier Ara blue

Reactions: pburv and Simon L

I had my TT's until my daughters got to 12 years old... I reckon you got atleast 5 years of 'boy in the back' - which is loads. TT's are cracking fun

All very tempting suggestions.Just need to work on 'her indoors'...lol
Thanks for the heads up jassy.Have to agree about the colour Daytona really looks the bee's knees...:friends:

All very tempting suggestions.Just need to work on 'her indoors'...lol
Thanks for the heads up jassy.Have to agree about the colour Daytona really looks the bee's knees...:friends:

Stick with what you've got mate. It might be a bigger upgrade from HB/SB but not from a saloon....................definitely not in the looks department anyway ;)

Stick with what you've got mate. It might be a bigger upgrade from HB/SB but not from a saloon....................definitely not in the looks department anyway ;)
Lol..Glad someone is seeing sense...The saloon does look special doesn't it....:yes:

Reactions: Simon L
Lol..Glad someone is seeing sense...The saloon does look special doesn't it....:yes:

You don't need me to tell you that Paul :)

01fa47e48f07d61ebb75339c0a019c4d.jpg

With an almost two year old...... This is my TTs. Ha.

Reactions: Simon L
If I didn't need a rear seat I would have a TT in a heartbeat, my friend has one and it's a great car. TBH the S3 is a compromise for me, I do think it's a great car but as soon as I have no need for a rear seat it will be replaced

Reactions: Primolak
If I didn't need a rear seat I would have a TT in a heartbeat, my friend has one and it's a great car. TBH the S3 is a compromise for me, I do think it's a great car but as soon as I have no need for a rear seat it will be replaced

Absolutely agree. Same spot for me.

Reactions: Chris4410