Bye bye M3, Hello S3!

Smiffi

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a newbie to this forum but as I've recently bought an S3 I thought I'd say hello. As the title states, I have just traded my E46 M3 in for a 3 door Glacier White Metallic S3 S-tronic Black Edition....and I love it. I've wanted a S3 for ages, well before I bought the M3 and even before the Mkv Gti I had before that. Once I seen this car in the showroom I couldn't resist any longer (plus the missus fell in love with it which helped).

Anyway, the car only has a few miles on the clock and as I've never been the first owner of a car I'm trying to decided my running in tactics. I plan on warming her up easy then when hot, driving as normal with spirited acceleration but not revving past 3.5k for the first 1000 miles. After that I will increase the revs to about 4.5k for about 500 miles. It's going to be difficult to restrain myself though haha.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to run it in? I'm interested in the way the members who have owned their cars from new went about it? Also, is changing the oil at around 1.5 - 2k miles a good idea?

I have a Bluefin hand held device from when I owned the Gti but I might wait a year before I get the S3 map for that.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated guys. I will try and post up some pics over the weekend.

Reactions: RedDejavu
keep it easy for the first 1k miles and then drive normally.

As above, just drive it.... Audi engines are ran up when they are built so its been red lined already! just let the brakes etc bed in but drive it and enjoy it. It's what the warranty is for!

And welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

and dont forget, for the first 12,000 miles drive everywhere in 2nd :thumbsup:

Reactions: I oOEddOo I and tyrrelll
And make sure that all four tyres are no higher than 10 psi for the first 500 miles :)

( Please dont actually do this Smiffy....we're all pulling your leg !!.....i'd hate to read in the paper that a man had launch controlled his Audi backwards through a hedge and it looked like all four tyres were flat and first gear had never been used in the life of the car ) :)

The main running in is for the tyres, brakes, suspension etc and not the engine, so just take it easy for the first 400/500 miles and don't put the engine under too much strain and then build it up slowly once the bearings, tyres, brakes etc have all settled.....you'll be fine.

And welcome to the mad-house !!

Cheers for all the responses guys. Lucky for me I hadn't read up on how to use the launch control yet otherwise my car would now written off haha.

So what you are agreeing on is that I don't really have to limit the amount of revs I use along as I don't go too hot into corners because the brakes and tyres need scrubed in? I'm not sure I have the guts to rev it all the way just yet (No I'm not looking for takers who would like to do it for me haha)

What about the first oil change? 2k or leave it for about 6 months/4-5k miles?

Cheers again!

TBH an S tronic hardly needs running in seeing as it puts you in the right gear etc. You cant flog it up a hill in 6th at 1500rpm for example. All you are really doing is bedding the pads into the disc's and not burning clutches etc for the first couple of K miles.
I remapped mine at 2,500miles and apart from a duff set of plugs its been as good as gold. now showing 9k miles and is sweet as a nut.

If you don't flog it from cold either it helps. You see some people get in their company cars from works car parks and as the vapour trail is still prevalent they gun it up the road like they've heard the house is on fire and their kids are in it. Let her get to 75 deg + on the oil temp gauge within the DIS, I largely ignore the water temp gauge unless it changes from 90!

And welcome to the S3 fold - some are considering going the other way so be interested to see what you think of her.