bye bye google satellite overlay

I got this from Audi Digital Services:

Thank you for contacting Audi Digital Services.

We received your inquiry regarding the service Navigation with Google Earth™.

Kindly be informed that due to our dependency on Google to provide the “Google Earth” functionality for Audi Connect, this map view will no longer be available for some Audi models from 1st January 2021.

The replacement service, Audi Connect "Satellite Card", can be downloaded via a free software update during the warranty period and re-activated (license terms and extensions remain unaffected). Please, keep in touch with your preferred Audi partner in regards to the availability of the said update.

Quite why it is warranty dependant is a mystery as functionality is being removed. Hopefully it will be covered by the used car warranty as it will be a few weeks after my normal warranty end but the used car warranty also has 'weasel words'.

Reactions: Ormesome
Short answer:

All models with Qualcomm units (MHIQ2....if you see in your softwareversion something about MMX2Q you have the right unit) can update to the latest softwareversion and still have Satellite view.
Also all MMI Basic (MIB2 low) can be updated and still have the satellite view.

The A3 and Q2 can also be updated to the latest version in order to have working satellite view.

All the other units dont have satellite view anymore.

Joseph, Not sure how concrete your "evidence" from Audi is? Jens doesn't provide any clarity I can see, in fact the forum "chatter" seems to be providing more comprehensive details on the current situation. I thought you claimed to have a close friend at your local dealer? why don't you try them for a more detailed explanation that might actually be useful? As for paying 300 chuffs for your licence, how can you complain? I thought you've known about this coming for for ages? Why would you pay for Audi rubbish connect system without this is beyond me.. Anyway looks like people are starting to get more and more positive information now, so you might want to start warming up those knees readying for the official bow down :)

Last edited:
Joseph, Not sure how concrete your "evidence" from Audi is? Jens doesn't provide any clarity I can see, in fact the forum "chatter" seems to be providing more comprehensive details on the current situation. I thought you claimed to have a close friend at your local dealer? why don't you try them for a more detailed explanation that might actually be useful? As for paying 300 chuffs for your licence, how can you complain? I thought you've known about this coming for for ages? Why would you pay for Audi rubbish connect system without this is beyond me.. Anyway looks like people are starting to get more and more positive information now, so you might want to start warming up those knees readying for the official bow down :)

Wow.....

This is the reply I received from Audi Customer Services. While they did renew the license for the connect service, google maps became unavailable 3 years exactly after first registration.

Thank you for your follow up email regarding Google maps.

I am afraid that this service is no longer available. Google have not renewed Audi UK license. An alternative mapping overlay may be available via a software update. Please contact your local Audi Centre, to see if one is available for your vehicle.

Not a helpful reply. If a software update is available, surely they should know. The "preferred" dealer is useless, and refers me back to Audi uk.
One of the reasons i purchased the S3 with tech pack was for the VC and google maps. If i had known this tech would be removed after 3 years, i would have given BMW more of a consideration.
Maybe the air con will stop working after a software update?
Frankly this is crap customer services, as google maps remains available on newer models (with smallprint)

Reactions: Andygeol
Looks like it’s being changed over to maxar with HD imagery. PFL here so no interest to me. Although i do feel like there will be more of this coming on stream in the coming years since google sold off its imagery arm a few years back. No doubt the subscription price has gone up and maxar have stepped in with a cheaper alternative.

I just received this reply today, after questioning the Google Maps Licence expiry.
Screenshot 2020 10 28 at 133426

My car is an 66plate Facelift A3 e-tron with the MMI High and Virtual cockpit. Am I correct in thinking there now is a software update to enable the maps overlay with a different provider.

Does anyone have a reference to what exactly I need to be asking my dealer to do to my car ?

SUE AUDI UK
I am no lawyer but my purchase was via Audi. I don't care less that a service is provided by a 3rd party. It is up to Audi to sort out an adequate replacement. They are still offering "Google Earth" functionality with the Virtual Cockpit (see screen capture from this morning) Isn't this illegal to be advertising something they cannot deliver? I hope Audi do monitor this board and that a real lawyer sees this post
Audi google earth Capture

Hi, new member here with an Audi A4

I recently lost my google map overlay. My licenses had expired and the only one not to be renewed was the google earth

SUE AUDI UK
I am no lawyer but my purchase was via Audi. I don't care less that a service is provided by a 3rd party. It is up to Audi to sort out an adequate replacement. They are still offering "Google Earth" functionality with the Virtual Cockpit (see screen capture from this morning) Isn't this illegal to be advertising something they cannot deliver? I hope Audi do monitor this board and that a real lawyer sees this postView attachment 211401

And somewhere in that document will be the usual "E&OE" caveat I expect.

Reactions: JohnM100
Looks like it’s being changed over to maxar with HD imagery. PFL here so no interest to me. Although i do feel like there will be more of this coming on stream in the coming years since google sold off its imagery arm a few years back. No doubt the subscription price has gone up and maxar have stepped in with a cheaper alternative.

This post popped in my head today. Got the car back after a service and noticed the maps look slightly different, if anything a little better on the satélite image view. I then noticed that in the middle of the screen, where the google image rights text is usually show, that it now states “maxar”. I swear it used to say google earth or something different. Ill take a picture tomorrow but can anyone confirm? It wasn’t just of my area as i know it sometimes changed, went over the boarder to do some shopping too and still stated “maxar”. Audi did do a software update to my MMI but my Googlemaps should be working for a while yet according to my subscription date and dealer info.

Here are a comparison of before and after the recent service. Small difference in the maps but defo there. Second photo has the Maxar logo in the middle of the screen all the time now, wasn’t there before and if it then it stated Google....Might be nothing, but just wondering if it is the new overlay talked about or not. The MMI still boots up the loading screen in the bottom right corner as normal for when loading the data from standard maps.

Before:

A6D40843 9649 4B5F 8AC8 66D26C97E1F1

After:

BB8C84AA 4155 49DA 857B 660694ABE8E6

Reactions: JohnM100, tickedon and Harvey
Just bumped my head against this.

Car has just passed three years old but I renewed Connect last week in preparation. It picked up the new licences but without Google Earth and a few other things so I called their support.

They told me about the Google Earth retirement which explains why the licences haven't been renewed. I said this was the main thing I bought the renewal for.

He said there was this replacement service coming which would be available for my car but he didn't have a timescale. As I know how these things can drag on, I've opted to cancel the Connect renewal (was still within the 14 days) and will re-purchase if and when this replacement service becomes available.

I take it no one has any idea when it'll be available for the FL 8V?

@Ormesome Are you in Germany? How easy was it to get done? How long did it take?

I have got his same message on my 2018 RS3 so I want to get the satellite view as a download as you have. Because we all want that option on the VC.

(Also for everyone else on here remember this is not Google maps; it is just the satellite view on top of HERE maps which are terrible to use).

Guys, I had the exact same predicament you did in October this year, car was 3 years old and connect services was renewed FOC but Google Earth wasn’t part of that and stopped working.

I contacted Audi digital services and they said my car could have the Audi connect “Satellite Card” applied free during the warranty period as the car has a 5 year warranty.

Spoke to Audi Bolton and firstly they didn’t know what I was talking about, then said there’s something coming in 2021 but to be honest most dealers haven’t been told about this update.

I gave them the case number for them to contact Audi digital services when I took the car in so they could talk them through the process.

Car went in on 11th Nov 1st thing and judging by my Tracker app car the ignition was on for about 2 hours. I got a call at lunchtime to say it was done.

They said normally they would charge but due to the hassle I’d had and with me being their guinea pig they’d do it FOC. I didn’t argue that the car was still under warranty so should be FOC anyway as it seemed pointless.

May not be quite as good as Google maps but better than nowt on VC :)

Last edited:
SUE AUDI UK
I am no lawyer but my purchase was via Audi. I don't care less that a service is provided by a 3rd party. It is up to Audi to sort out an adequate replacement. They are still offering "Google Earth" functionality with the Virtual Cockpit (see screen capture from this morning) Isn't this illegal to be advertising something they cannot deliver? I hope Audi do monitor this board and that a real lawyer sees this postView attachment 211401

Rather than suing Audi, isn't this "36-month subscription" statement in the end, something Audi is telling us beforehand "this will end after 3 years, no guarantee after then" ?

@Keithd32

Can you share some images, showing the difference? Not too close if possible please, no need to count the pixels :) Covering the whole screen maybe.

@Ormesome Are you in Germany? How easy was it to get done? How long did it take?

I have got his same message on my 2018 RS3 so I want to get the satellite view as a download as you have. Because we all want that option on the VC.

(Also for everyone else on here remember this is not Google maps; it is just the satellite view on top of HERE maps which are terrible to use).

I'm in Switzerland. I don't know for sure if it has been done or not. Something has for sure changed though. The dealer told me my Q2 wasn't affected but the maps, as you can see above by the photos I posted, have changed, the detail is different as are the buildings.

• The reason why I think it been given an overlay: "Maxar images" stated everywhere where Google used to be. Some parts of the mapping are more 3d. One HUGE bad point is that the maps now show a weird horizon gap so sometimes doesn't even fill the whole screen at certain angles or degrees. Ill try to take a photo of this later. Maps are very different and I haven't had the maps updated. My MMI was updated for a different fault but I'm unsure if these changes are due to that.
  • Reasons why I don't think it been done: It still loads up an image like before when starting the car. Surely an overlay that is pre-loaded wouldn't need to load? My Licenses state Jan 2022 which is when my Audi Connect runs out.

Guys, I had the exact same predicament you did in October this year, car was 3 years old and connect services was renewed FOC but Google Earth wasn’t part of that and stopped working.

I contacted Audi digital services and they said my car could have the Audi connect “Satellite Card” applied free during the warranty period as the car has a 5 year warranty.

Spoke to Audi Bolton and firstly they didn’t know what I was talking about, then said there’s something coming in 2021 but to be honest most dealers haven’t been told about this update.

I gave them the case number for them to contact Audi digital services when I took the car in so they could talk them through the process.

Car went in on 11th Nov 1st thing and judging by my Tracker app car the ignition was on for about 2 hours. I got a call at lunchtime to say it was done.

They said normally they would charge but due to the hassle I’d had and with me being their guinea pig they’d do it FOC. I didn’t argue that the car was still under warranty so should be FOC anyway as it seemed pointless.

Are your VC images similar to mine in the before and after pics i posted above?

Booked mine at my local Audi Dealer for next week. Contacted Audi UK who confirmed my S5 (17 reg) was eligible to receive the update, for the new replacement service being referred to as ‘Satellite Card’. Apart from that they were very vague, didn’t know when it was being rolled out by dealers and just basically said speak to them for more info.

As my car is still under the 4 year manufactures warranty until April and my licenses are valid until Oct 2021, I’ve told them I don’t expect to pay for this as they did say they couldn’t rule out any charges.

Bookings team at the dealer weren’t the most knowledgable and basically said they will just assess my car when it goes in but they’ve put all my notes onto the job card, so I’ll probably find out they can’t do it next week but worth a try. Guy on the phone said he’d never heard of this new service or Google Maps expiring, which doesn’t inspire much confidence!

Sorry for the late response, took a couple of photos this morning on the way to work, I don't have any when it was Google just the latest satellite:
Standard
Both Normal

Satellite (much better)
Both Satellite

Close Up
VCSat

Last edited:
Looks like it’s been turned off. many Google Earth hasn’t worked for a week now. Starts loading and gets to end of progress bar but just keeps showing the google sign and never actually starts.
Mine is a late-ish 2018 s3 and the licenses says it will run till 2021. might need to give customer services a call and see if the update works with my car.

I wonder how this will affect the future Virtual Cockpit retrofits and already retrofitteds as well.

Any idea?

mine is a 2019 19 plate and comes up bluesky mapping Maxar technologies

its not been the dealer at all, so unless its done over cloud because I did ge a prompt about a motnh a go that a new map was available and its download automatically

I noticed mine stopped working over the weekend. I also thought the tones of the map (mainly the orange for built up area) had changed a little but that could be my imagination.

My licence was till July 2021 so will ask about the Satellite card.

This is what is showing up on mine when I try changing to Google Earth view.. is that normal? My license expires 2021 of maps etc..
FED0BFA1 838F 4112 ACFC E663335BD86D
95FC6B5A E39C 4313 A012 850CE625DE8A

Reactions: Ormesome and JohnM100
Great link @markmg

It’s AoA but gives a good insight

Reviewing it:

The following models do NOT support the new service with no service software planned:
MY18 A3 (Built on or after May 1, 2018) with software version equal to 1368.

bugg3r...
I guess it is campaign for satellite card.

Yes it's normal i have the same in my S6 2017 that cant be upgraded :( but you can upgrade to the new maps.
MC-10181818-0001.pdf (audiworld.com)
Interesting thanks for the link. I thought it was weird that the Q2 isn’t mentioned but then I remembered a Doug De Muro video where he said that the US didn’t have it. Would be good to see something similar for Eu/U.K.

Interesting thanks for the link. I thought it was weird that the Q2 isn’t mentioned but then I remembered a Doug De Muro video where he said that the US didn’t have it. Would be good to see something similar for Eu/U.K.
Did your Q2 got the update? I just noticed on mine when I launched the google maps overlay..

May will need to contact Audi Uk and ask or even my local dealership..

You're making the assumption that the dealership (which of course isn't "Audi") knew / understood anything about it.
Sorry, don't agree at all. They should know their products and what's happening. Its not hard. What you've stated is a typical bone idle tunnel vision view.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

SUE AUDI UK
Exactly

Sorry but that is not right, if they've removed something and wish to replace it with something else then I should have to pay for it again. I'm any other business that's called a scam.

The dealers here in the Netherlands aren't even aware that google earth has stopped, they told me its a bug in my car or that i should reset the MIB2.

Still cant believe they just stopped it, i understand that if you have a 10 year old car, but my car isnt even 4 years old, they should at least have come with the possibility to upgrade my hardware

Well some good news. My car is covered for the update and booked in the new year now. All covered under warranty

Did your Q2 got the update? I just noticed on mine when I launched the google maps overlay..

May will need to contact Audi Uk and ask or even my local dealership..

Do not know and no one has posted any info to show any info with maps so I can't tell you. All I know is that my maps changed. You can see this in the photos I posted. My Q2 is a Late 2017 so just 3yrs old now. It has the MMI high and tech pack with VC, same as yours. My dealer told me it wasn't affected but would be in the future. He told me no navigation update was made & nothing is stated on the paperwork. My MMI still loads up Google on the maps part as normal & before.

If I was to bet on it, I would say it has been done, because there is no other reason why my maps would change like that. Anyway, it looks good, better than before! so I cant complain.

I think the bigger problem is what happens in the future? Is this Satelite overlay an updatable thing in the future? are we going to have Satelite images updated with map updates or will Audi charge us for maps & Satelite image updates now?

Reactions: Raul_sbd
Do not know and no one has posted any info to show any info with maps so I can't tell you. All I know is that my maps changed. You can see this in the photos I posted. My Q2 is a Late 2017 so just 3yrs old now. It has the MMI high and tech pack with VC, same as yours. My dealer told me it wasn't affected but would be in the future. He told me no navigation update was made & nothing is stated on the paperwork. My MMI still loads up Google on the maps part as normal & before.

If I was to bet on it, I would say it has been done, because there is no other reason why my maps would change like that. Anyway, it looks good, better than before! so I cant complain.

I think the bigger problem is what happens in the future? Is this Satelite overlay an updatable thing in the future? are we going to have Satelite images updated with map updates or will Audi charge us for maps & Satelite image updates now?
Good question that’s the thing..
Tbh I use mode the wireless carplay with the adaptor but from time to time I like the satellite full view on the VC. Looks nice..

I have sent an email to Audi Uk see what they come up with.. my car still on warranty til summer 2021..

I will update u here or on our local Q2 forum ;)

Thanks for the info and the pictures ;)

Good question that’s the thing..
Tbh I use mode the wireless carplay with the adaptor but from time to time I like the satellite full view on the VC. Looks nice..

I have sent an email to Audi Uk see what they come up with.. my car still on warranty til summer 2021..

I will update u here or on our local Q2 forum ;)

Thanks for the info and the pictures ;)

Raul, does your Q2 actually go to the Google Earth Satelite view or does it just keep loading? If it does go to satellite view then what kind of maps does itshow?

Reactions: Raul_sbd