bye bye google satellite overlay

Raul, does your Q2 actually go to the Google Earth Satelite view or does it just keep loading? If it does go to satellite view then what kind of maps does itshow?
It just keep loading on like the screenshot a put on previous post.. so I have give up and take it now with Audi.. waiting for they reply.

I visited my local dealer - and they said £177 for the update - although they also said they aren’t sure what I was talking about.

I have booked my car in for January but I told them this should be under warranty. (I have another complaint about the dealer as well - check my other post).

I visited my local dealer - and they said £177 for the update - although they also said they aren’t sure what I was talking about.

I have booked my car in for January but I told them this should be under warranty. (I have another complaint about the dealer as well - check my other post).

mines covered under warranty, mines a mid-late 2018 just before the Gpf model.
You good argue that’s is the essence of the tech pack and if it doesn’t work you want a refund on the tech pack.

mines covered under warranty, mines a mid-late 2018 just before the Gpf model.
You good argue that’s is the essence of the tech pack and if it doesn’t work you want a refund on the tech pack.

My car is a Feb 2018 model - it’s a 67 plate because I didn’t want to wait 2 weeks to get an 18 plate. And like yours it’s a pre-opf (RS3) and I’d expect a software update to be done for free after all the just plug the computer in and press a button. It’s not like they are actually doing any work.

I really would love to tell them how bad their service is but would it make a difference? NO.

These dealers seem to think that because I bought the car that I have money floating around to give them for stuff which they over price and should be under warranty.

Honestly I love my RS3 but I can’t help but think I should get a BMW M3 X-Drive next year so I don’t have to deal with Audi service. (However I expect that BMW isn’t any better.)

Well some good news. My car is covered for the update and booked in the new year now. All covered under warranty
Is your car under 3 years old? My S5 is in today for the update and I’ve just been told it’s £60 to apply the software as my cars extended 4 year warranty nor 2 year approved used warranty covers it?

I’ve logged a complaint with Audi UK, how can they remove a feature and then charge you to install the replacement service especially when you’re car is in warranty, all my licences for Audi Connect are live until Sept 2021 too. I only got the car a few months ago :triumph:

I'll try to figure out if mine had the satellite update and let you all know. I wasn't charged if I did have it done so you guys might be able to argue that other countries aren't charging so its a farce that Audi UK is.

Reactions: Bells
Is your car under 3 years old? My S5 is in today for the update and I’ve just been told it’s £60 to apply the software as my cars extended 4 year warranty nor 2 year approved used warranty covers it?

I’ve logged a complaint with Audi UK, how can they remove a feature and then charge you to install the replacement service especially when you’re car is in warranty, all my licences for Audi Connect are live until Sept 2021 too. I only got the car a few months ago :triumph:

mines an august 2018. Service guy on phone said it’s free as my cars under warranty which means if it wasn’t then there could be a charge. he did have to check my cars build as he said it didn’t apply to all cars with connect just ones within a certain build period. Will find out more when it goes in the new year.

My Q2 is July 2018, will update you when I get Audis answer ..

Quick update - they’ve found the update that needs to be installed but apparently used approved warranty and extended manufacturers warranty (4 years) don’t cover it... so they want to charge me £60 to do it.

I’m ringing Audi UK now to find out if they’ll cover the cost as I don’t see why I should be charged for a service that they’ve stopped providing when the rest of my Audi connect services are ‘live’.
Final update and a happy resolution, got my car back and I now have the Satellite view again courtesy of Maxar Technologies apparently, although Google is still mentioned. Licenses page now says Satellite map though. I didn’t have Google Maps for a few months so I’m not the best person to ask for the differences but it looks good to me, no issues all my POI’s are still loaded etc.

Update took about 2 hours for the work, but my car was gone the whole day as the dealership originally wanted to charge me for the work, a £60 labour fee. I first contested this with Audi Connect Customer Services who were worse than useless, after telling me the previous week it would be free because my car was in warranty basically said tough suck it up and pay it or don’t use the services. So I went and raised a complaint with Audi UK’s main customer services and eventually got them to agree to cover the work under my 4 years extended manufacturers warranty, so the garage can submit a warranty claim against this and claim the labour. Used approved warranty wouldn’t have covered it apparently, no idea why. Although I did make a point of saying they shouldn’t be trying to charge people for a replacement service for something they’ve replaced, especially if people have valid licenses still! They said they’d feed that back up to the managers, doubt it’ll make any difference but I’ve tried.

Attachments

• 69B3A000-AD06-4220-BEB0-4E03B059DF1C.jpeg
    69B3A000-AD06-4220-BEB0-4E03B059DF1C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 398
  • 97F21AFA-1D53-4839-B83D-6DFCD5757476.jpeg
    97F21AFA-1D53-4839-B83D-6DFCD5757476.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 384
I called Audi Connect services about this because I keep getting a pop up in the car about the licence expiring even though they renewed it for a year. The guy on the phone point blank said there is no replacement for Google Earth and there is nothing they can do about it!

I'm not holding my breath because the car is out of warranty (registered Sept 2017). I will try and call them again later and see if I get through to someone who can be bothered to look into the issue.

Got to speak early on with Audi Customer services (they called me back referring to the email i sent them the other day) They said they are asking Audi AG and will have an update early next week but they seem to be well aware of the issue as a few Audi owners are raising the same with them.

We will see..

Don’t know if it’s coincidence but my GM has stopped yesterday even though the license is valid for another 6 months.

Just keeps saying GM is initialising. Cant make my mind up whether I have lost GM or the network is down.

Car is a 17 plate and is 3.5 years old.

Trip to the stealer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t know if it’s coincidence but my GM has stopped yesterday even though the license is valid for another 6 months.

Just keeps saying GM is initialising. Cant make my mind up whether I have lost GM or the network is down.

Car is a 17 plate and is 3.5 years old.

Trip to the stealer ?

My license has been valid for the past 3 months (expires Sept 21) and Google Maps never worked since I got the car in Sept. It now does but only after the update with this replacement ‘service’.

You’ll need the new update to get the map overlay back but if your car is out of warranty expect to pay labour.

OK so I’m almost 100% sure i have had the overlay installed. However i have some questions. I just drove to Switzerland to France & at the boarder the internet connection always goes a bit funny as it changes provider. I didn’t expect this to happen to the new satélite view as its now supposedly installed on the HD of the car? It went blurry as i changed country and it loaded new satélite images as per the normal GE overlay. Surely this shouldn’t happen with the new system? I now have “satélite view” in Audi Connect and not Google Earth which is the same as the posts of people who had this installed.

OK so I’m almost 100% sure i have had the overlay installed. However i have some questions. I just drove to Switzerland to France & at the boarder the internet connection always goes a bit funny as it changes provider. I didn’t expect this to happen to the new satélite view as its now supposedly installed on the HD of the car? It went blurry as i changed country and it loaded new satélite images as per the normal GE overlay. Surely this shouldn’t happen with the new system? I now have “satélite view” in Audi Connect and not Google Earth which is the same as the posts of people who had this installed.
The tech at Audi said to me the update applied to the car is only to activate this new satellite card not actually install any physical map overlay. Which makes sense because when I first start my car up it does take 10 seconds or so to boot up and load the satellite overlay, which wouldn’t be the case if it was stored on the HD. Similar situation to your issue when you cross borders, I’m pretty sure a data connection is still required for the mapping.

May be wrong though, I think the issue is it’s all fairly new and nobody including Audi really knows what’s going on :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Ormesome
Anyone know anything about pfl A3s ? can these be updated ? I have the google earth overlay option when I put my data sim in.

So you slam a data sim in the glove box and google maps then works ?

Sorry, I worded that wrong. That's what normally happens, not tested to see if it still does or not. Will check tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: lgooch
The tech at Audi said to me the update applied to the car is only to activate this new satellite card not actually install any physical map overlay. Which makes sense because when I first start my car up it does take 10 seconds or so to boot up and load the satellite overlay, which wouldn’t be the case if it was stored on the HD. Similar situation to your issue when you cross borders, I’m pretty sure a data connection is still required for the mapping.

May be wrong though, I think the issue is it’s all fairly new and nobody including Audi really knows what’s going on :tearsofjoy:

Great thanks for the info. It makes sense. Prob why my Satelite Map states the same licence expiry date as the rest of the Audi Connect licenses which is in January 2022, if the satélite map was just on the HD then it wouldn’t need renewing.

For those with MIB2 High / Technology Pack systems there is a replacement service via a new provider. The graphics are downloaded and stored on demand but you need an update and a valid Audi Connect Licence.

VAG Car Coding is able to perform the needed update, has been rolling this out for a while actually, via genuine firmware and authorised access to the VW Group online service tool to the following vehicles and related models such as S and RS cars:
  • A4
  • A5
  • Q5
  • Q7
  • Q2
  • A3
Updates are ONLY for model year 2017 (MY17) and onwards vehicles ONLY.

A6 and A7 vehicles are not eligible. Currently awning further information re TT and R8 vehicles however we did have an R8 gen 2 v10 working with no issues the other day.

Those with MIB1 and MMI3G Plus or High / Technology Pack systems, Google Earth Overlay is no longer available and there is no replacement solution.

Reactions: lgooch and Ormesome
There is also no plan to fix the S6 FL 2017 models ? can the hardware be upgraded so it wil work again ? i really mis GE and cant believe they are not fixing it for the A6/A7 models, how about th A8 models ?

There is also no plan to fix the S6 FL 2017 models ? can the hardware be upgraded so it wil work again ? i really mis GE and cant believe they are not fixing it for the A6/A7 models, how about th A8 models ?
I spent some time searching the technical database last night as I had a MY17 A6 here and could not find anything other than the following:

Screenshot 2020 12 22 at 0825

For those with MIB2 High / Technology Pack systems there is a replacement service via a new provider. The graphics are downloaded and stored on demand but you need an update and a valid Audi Connect Licence.

VAG Car Coding is able to perform the needed update, has been rolling this out for a while actually, via genuine firmware and authorised access to the VW Group online service tool to the following vehicles and related models such as S and RS cars:
  • A4
  • A5
  • Q5
  • Q7
  • Q2
  • A3
Updates are ONLY for model year 2017 (MY17) and onwards vehicles ONLY.

A6 and A7 vehicles are not eligible. Currently awning further information re TT and R8 vehicles however we did have an R8 gen 2 v10 working with no issues the other day.

Those with MIB1 and MMI3G Plus or High / Technology Pack systems, Google Earth Overlay is no longer available and there is no replacement solution.

How do you know what system is fitted to your car ? I specified tech pack on my A3 so I got VC, 20gb hard drive, BandO etc on my 2017 car

Would your update work and what you charging Alix ?

How do you know what system is fitted to your car ? I specified tech pack on my A3 so I got VC, 20gb hard drive, BandO etc on my 2017 car

Would your update work and what you charging Alix ?

If you have the tech pack then you have a compatible system, as it’s the only system with the jukebox.

I ask £45.00 to complete the update, which is a standard coding session price.

If you have the tech pack then you have a compatible system, as it’s the only system with the jukebox.

I ask £45.00 to complete the update, which is a standard coding session price.

That’s a bargain. Only issue is I am in Manchester. I don’t suppose it can be done over the web somehow

That’s a bargain. Only issue is I am in Manchester. I don’t suppose it can be done over the web somehow

web no, Anyone doing it this way is not authorised to do so. I have a coding partner in Manchester who could please this for you.

Reactions: lgooch and 8YARWY
web no, Anyone doing it this way is not authorised to do so. I have a coding partner in Manchester who could please this for you.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing the details DJAlix it would be appreciated as I need to get it done. It doing my napper in not having it

If you wouldn’t mind sharing the details DJAlix it would be appreciated as I need to get it done. It doing my napper in not having it

07950 737 899. Easier to touch base so I can run your through details and answer question you might have.

Im gonna nees to sort this out as my maps have disappeared

Reactions: lgooch
07950 737 899. Easier to touch base so I can run your through details and answer question you might have.
Would you have anyone Bristol-way per chance @DJAlix?

I have a 2014 pfl S3 with high tech pack (DVD, hard drive, larger screen, sim card slot, touch wheel, etc.) and despite the Google maps overlay working recently (I have an active sim in the slot), it now just says it is initialising.

Would love to hear if anyone gets this covered under warranty and whether Audi extended warranty also counts for cars older than 3 years.

Would you have anyone Bristol-way per chance @DJAlix?

I have a 2014 pfl S3 with high tech pack (DVD, hard drive, larger screen, sim card slot, touch wheel, etc.) and despite the Google maps overlay working recently (I have an active sim in the slot), it now just says it is initialising.

Would love to hear if anyone gets this covered under warranty and whether Audi extended warranty also counts for cars older than 3 years.
You will have an MIB1 media system which Audi has ceased support for.

I've been following this thread with interest and thought you might all find this useful for those who are UK based. This is a copy of a update I've just posted in my ASN S3 diary so I hope you find this info useful......

My Google Earth license expired on 20th December but my Audi Connect license was renewed early in late November just before Audi started to charge for the service, lucky me. I loved the Google Earth satellite overlay and my S3 MY17 (registered new 19th Dec 2016) having the Technology Pack Advanced (MIB2 High & Virtual Cockpit) plus a valid Audi Connect license I thought could be updated having read various threads on this forum. I contacted Audi Digital Services to see if I could have when they are calling “Satellite Card” update applied to my vehicle as I was already missing the satellite overlay. My reply from Audi Digital Services wasn’t at all helpful…
Thank you for contacting Audi Digital Services.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and we hope this e-mail finds you well.

Audi along with Google is developing a new navigational system to further improve our customer experience. We checked your vehicle with
VIN: WAUZZZ8V3******** and noticed that it is not eligible to have the new navigation system installed.

We thank you for understanding and appreciate your cooperation.

We hope this information was helpful. Please, do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you may need. We are available 24/7 and can be reached either by calling 0800-2792884, or by contacting this email.

Kind regards,

At this point I was already in conversation with @DJAlix regarding the so called “Satellite Card” mystery. After supplying my MIB2 version details (Engineering Menu, Nav/Map toggled up, immediately followed by Media toggled down, then hold for 5 seconds. Same to exit) I was informed my software was very old and an update to the latest version might/could/possibly/maybe restore the satellite overlay. The latest version was released over a year ago but Audi dealers use the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mentality so rarely update software unless there is an issue.
After an epic 260mile/4h 30m/39mpg round trip to see DJAlix at VAG Car Coding I’ve now got my satellite overlay restored, hurrah :)

Massive thanks go out to DJAlix for his invaluable work and knowledge and all that was required to get my satellite overlay restored was an update to the latest version of the MIB2 software. As Audi would like you to believe it’s not all smoke and mirrors or this so called “Satellite Card” it’s simply an update to the latest software that’s required. The work cannot be performed remotely as a physical SD card with the genuine Audi updates must be installed into the MIB2 unit to update it.

I can highly recommend a trip to see DJAlix as he’ll get you sorted in less than an hour and back on your way with a smile on your face and a lovely satellite overlay fully working. Thanks again to VAG Car Coding, you’re a super star!

Now the more interesting part, the pictures…

Licences before software update showing “Google Earth” listed, the date showed as “Expired” prior to the update.

20201116_093255Small.jpg

Licenses after software update now showing “Satellite map” and the correct Audi Connect expiry date.

20201230_132415Small.jpg

MIB2 original software versions on my unit.

20201221_152405Small.jpg

MIB2 updated software versions now installed on my unit.

20201230_132656Small.jpg

Some pretty satellite overlay now it’s working again. The new system caches image data locally which I’m assuming is to cut-down mobile data usage and offer faster load times but there aren’t any technical details that I can find regarding this.

20201230_132032Small.jpg

20201230_132125Small.jpg

The new satellite imagery now comes with a virtual horizon showing blue at the top and with headlights on this goes black. In addition, lots of supplier text the user don’t need to know about. Both mildly annoying but I’m happy to have the satellite overlay back thanks to DJAlix at VAG Car Coding.

20201230_132202Small.jpg

Zoom out enough and you think your in a spaceship, note the NASA text ;)

20201230_132236Small.jpg

Thanks for info. Mine is booked in 'down the road' at Audi Ipswich for 19th Jan. Lady very helpful and new all about it. £75 for out of manufacturers warranty car. This was booked before Alix said he could do it. My18 Virtual Cockpit car. If they can't do it then I know where to go next.

Reactions: Ormesome
I've been following this thread with interest and thought you might all find this useful for those who are UK based. This is a copy of a update I've just posted in my ASN S3 diary so I hope you find this info useful......

My Google Earth license expired on 20th December but my Audi Connect license was renewed early in late November just before Audi started to charge for the service, lucky me. I loved the Google Earth satellite overlay and my S3 MY17 (registered new 19th Dec 2016) having the Technology Pack Advanced (MIB2 High & Virtual Cockpit) plus a valid Audi Connect license I thought could be updated having read various threads on this forum. I contacted Audi Digital Services to see if I could have when they are calling “Satellite Card” update applied to my vehicle as I was already missing the satellite overlay. My reply from Audi Digital Services wasn’t at all helpful…
Thank you for contacting Audi Digital Services.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and we hope this e-mail finds you well.

Audi along with Google is developing a new navigational system to further improve our customer experience. We checked your vehicle with
VIN: WAUZZZ8V3******** and noticed that it is not eligible to have the new navigation system installed.

We thank you for understanding and appreciate your cooperation.

We hope this information was helpful. Please, do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you may need. We are available 24/7 and can be reached either by calling 0800-2792884, or by contacting this email.

Kind regards,

At this point I was already in conversation with @DJAlix regarding the so called “Satellite Card” mystery. After supplying my MIB2 version details (Engineering Menu, Nav/Map toggled up, immediately followed by Media toggled down, then hold for 5 seconds. Same to exit) I was informed my software was very old and an update to the latest version might/could/possibly/maybe restore the satellite overlay. The latest version was released over a year ago but Audi dealers use the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mentality so rarely update software unless there is an issue.
After an epic 260mile/4h 30m/39mpg round trip to see DJAlix at VAG Car Coding I’ve now got my satellite overlay restored, hurrah :)

Massive thanks go out to DJAlix for his invaluable work and knowledge and all that was required to get my satellite overlay restored was an update to the latest version of the MIB2 software. As Audi would like you to believe it’s not all smoke and mirrors or this so called “Satellite Card” it’s simply an update to the latest software that’s required. The work cannot be performed remotely as a physical SD card with the genuine Audi updates must be installed into the MIB2 unit to update it.

I can highly recommend a trip to see DJAlix as he’ll get you sorted in less than an hour and back on your way with a smile on your face and a lovely satellite overlay fully working. Thanks again to VAG Car Coding, you’re a super star!

Now the more interesting part, the pictures…

Licences before software update showing “Google Earth” listed, the date showed as “Expired” prior to the update.

20201116_093255Small.jpg

Licenses after software update now showing “Satellite map” and the correct Audi Connect expiry date.

20201230_132415Small.jpg

MIB2 original software versions on my unit.

20201221_152405Small.jpg

MIB2 updated software versions now installed on my unit.

20201230_132656Small.jpg

Some pretty satellite overlay now it’s working again. The new system caches image data locally which I’m assuming is to cut-down mobile data usage and offer faster load times but there aren’t any technical details that I can find regarding this.

20201230_132032Small.jpg

20201230_132125Small.jpg

The new satellite imagery now comes with a virtual horizon showing blue at the top and with headlights on this goes black. In addition, lots of supplier text the user don’t need to know about. Both mildly annoying but I’m happy to have the satellite overlay back thanks to DJAlix at VAG Car Coding.

20201230_132202Small.jpg

Zoom out enough and you think your in a spaceship, note the NASA text ;)

20201230_132236Small.jpg
Descend.
I’m curious as to which hardware yours is.
Would you mind posting your vehicle build data plus Nav Database Version & Media Driver Codes?

For reference, mine are:
Nav Database version:
VO3959802DE 0175 ECE 2019

Media Driver:
CLU6_MMX2_AU_ER_G22_306PROD-1

Thanks

Descend.
I’m curious as to which hardware yours is.
Would you mind posting your vehicle build data plus Nav Database Version & Media Driver Codes?

For reference, mine are:
Nav Database version:

Media Driver:
CLU6_MMX2_AU_ER_G22_306PROD-1

Thanks
Terribly sorry. Previous post meant for Harvey.

Hi @Mivi49 not sure why you need my full vehicle build data, assuming you mean PR codes? Anyway one of my PR codes is 7UG = "Navigation system - High". My S3 has the MIB2 High which has the 10GB Jukebox, 2x SD slots and 1x SIM card slot with built-in SIM that is used for Audi Connect mobile data connection.

My Nav db version, looking to get this updated to the latest 2020/21 at some point:

My Media Driver, note the MMI screen doesn't list the full name and I can't figure out to scroll to the right to show it all so below is as it shows on my screen:
DEV_MMX2_AU_ER_G21_106...

Hi Harvey. Thanks for your reply. My typo - I meant build DATE not PR codes (though they would be useful too).

What you post is interesting. Your Nav database version is same as mine, and the media driver MMX2 appears to indicate an Nvidia processor like mine. However I understood that the determining factor as to which versions of the MMI can be updated to retain satellite view (no longer powered by Google Earth) is the processor in the MMI. To retain satellite view and be eligible for a software update, the MMI in the vehicle needs to have a Qualcomm processor. Older MMI hardware uses Nvidia processors and they are no longer supported. You can tell from the software version number if you have a Qualcomm processor as there is a letter Q in the version.
Yours does not appear to be Qualcomm yet you’ve had it fixed.
Very confusing. Perhaps my info is wrong.
I think I shall have to contact DJAlix.

Still, many thanks & have a healthy New Year.

How do you get the Audi connect extended? Anyway to do it online?

Is there a cost? My 3 years ends in Feb

@Spinstorm
I don’t think one can extend licences online, but I may be wrong. My licences expired 12/03/20. I rang Audi CS about extending and they just did it, extending all until 12/03/22. I don’t think they had yet worked out a charge structure. However I believe that Audi has recently started charging for these. Don’t know how much though, or whether mine will remain valid (fingers crossed!).