BV43 Review

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
This 1.9tdi now pulls better than Dwayne Johnson at a hen party
Loving the power, can definitely see how people grow an addiction
Clutch slips like crazy but anticipated this as it is well past the sell by date
Many thanks to Chris (Adamss24), top bloke for turning this machine into a monster, truly practices what he preaches and comes highly recommended as he knows Audi's inside out, we also had some decent interesting food, meeting again Tuesday for mounts, map tweaking, brakes, sway bar, oil change and maybe egr delete.
Once again can't stress how down to earth and friendly Chris was and how well this has all gone so far.

Did the car have to be mapped and was it a straight swap?

Last edited:
The turbo is bolt on, the bottom hose needs tweaking and if you don't map then there's no point in doing the swap ! No problem Jake, i will see you back next week, the car has massive potential, i expect it to be well over 200 Bhp. Glad you like it mate and thank you for the kind words !

Sorry to hijack the thread . Adams 24 I've been pm you but I'm not sure if you have been receiving them as they ain't showing in my sent box mate.

I used to run a BV43 in my 1.9 Passat estate. 207bhp and 345Lb/ft of torque it wasn't that much slower than the 3.0 TDI A4 I now have. Ran a best time of 14.9 seconds and 93mph at Santa Pod, not bad for a 1.9 diesel estate. Will run fine on standard 130 injectors to over 200bhp. You need a FMIC really and a free flowing exhaust helps.
Ran it against several R32 golfs and I could never match them at the start with their 4wd but i started to catch them by the time we got to about 70mph.
I took pictures of my victims heres an S2000 :)

My mate took a video of the run, not the fastest as there was a really strong headwind and the there wasn't a lot of grip on the track but you can hear the s2000 screaming away and see me dissapearing :) .
click on the picture to play the video.

I changed the original 5 speed box in mine to 6 to get the close ratios and a 240mm clutch instead of the 228mm 5 speed which is no good for this level of power unless you fit a Sachs SRE organic item. With the 6 speed box I was running a new 240mm standard LUK item and that was working OK.
I did map the car though to try and map out any torque spikes .

Karl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wahlstrom
Nice..
I already have the 6speed.. Just need the turbo, fmic and remap...

Nice upgrade

Hi
Are the injectors still stock?
Is it a 5 speed or 6 speed?
Stock and 5 speed

Will run fine on standard 130 injectors to over 200bhp. You need a FMIC really and a free flowing exhaust helps.

I changed the original 5 speed box in mine to 6 to get the close ratios and a 240mm clutch instead of the 228mm 5 speed which is no good for this level of power unless you fit a Sachs SRE organic item. With the 6 speed box I was running a new 240mm standard LUK item and that was working OK.
I did map the car though to try and map out any torque spikes.
Just out of interest what FMIC did you use and did you have the turbo on before and notice any difference? any other performance mods to your Passat? Will pick up that clutch when the bank permits.

Nice..
I already have the 6speed.. Just need the turbo, fmic and remap...

Nice upgrade

I have it all just need the turbo lol
Get it guys, you know you want to.

I know I do I'm in talks with a very experienced person (Adams 24) right now lol. Sorry to look like a stalker but if you see this post( Adams24) I've pm you back I'm not sure if they're sending like I said they don't show in my sent box.

Dieseljake im well jell!!!
Give a good review on your turbo, please. How motor was b4,fuel,top speed...

Adamss24 was selling a bv43 i was well interested,i msg him too,but no reply. Think he's a busy chap.

Still on the hit list (bv43)

He must be I was in line for one too awaiting message for another or hybrid can't wait now 200bhp and a shed load of torque mmmmmmm.

I've got none in my sent box at all since been a member and I've definitely sent kilts lol

Sorry guys, it seems my inbox is full for quite a while without getting any notifications... As i said to dale, i can get a few hybrids lined up for you guys, either 1752, 2052 or 2056 if you fee brave and you don't mind a little lag !

Yeah it sounds good mate but depends on price im not wanting to spend crazy cash pm me and well see if we can discuss it thanks.

Last edited:
Dieseljake im well jell!!!
Give a good review on your turbo, please. How motor was b4,fuel,top speed...
Motor was alright before but the seemed to become more and more unresponsive so assumed the turbo was on it's way out (probably not but either way I fancied something else), fuel consumption is hard to say as I've been ragging it but seems about the same, top speed is probably increased although at the moment top speed is around 85 as any more than this and the clutch slips like crazy haha. Will be able to give a better review when I'm used to it but at the moment I'm pretty much playing with it.

Can anyone give me some advice on what clutch route to go down please. My DMF is chattering so definitely needs to be replaced.

I'm obviously going to replace the clutch at the same time but in the next 12 months I plan to fit a BV43 turbo and have it mapped. I'll obviously need something uprated, but does anyone have any experience of what will work? Do I have an option of fitting a S or RS clutch? I'm sure mine is the 240mm plate (2004 1.9 quattro TDI 6 speed manual) rather than the 228mm (FWD??). The S4 and RS4 uses the same size plate but I'm not sure if they are compatible.

Any ideas?

A new standard LUK clutch should be fine. The standard clutch packed up on my 1.9tdi Quattro avant after the remap and I just replaced it with a new standard clutch and it's been fine for the last 2 years.

A new standard LUK clutch should be fine. The standard clutch packed up on my 1.9tdi Quattro avant after the remap and I just replaced it with a new standard clutch and it's been fine for the last 2 years.
So a standard LUK one will be good for 210 bhp and 350 lbft?

Like I say mines been fine with the remap and BV43. I'm still looking for a nice FMIC to get the best out of it.
I've not had mine on a rolling road but 350lb/ft of torque is a little optimistic more like 300lb/ft and 200bhp.

Like I say mines been fine with the remap and BV43. I'm still looking for a nice FMIC to get the best out of it.
I've not had mine on a rolling road but 350lb/ft of torque is a little optimistic more like 300lb/ft and 200bhp.
Ah sorry, when you said remap I thought you meant a map like mine, Revo 170.

Doing all the prep on mine like like intercooler (going the twin SMIC OEM setup) and clutch etc 1st then get the BV43. Brakes upgraded already to S4 ones.

Is yours on a standard DMF too?

Thanks for the info!

No probs, to be honest when the clutch went I only replaced the clutch and not the DMF as it wasn't causing any vibration and I'm a cheap skate and didn't want to fork out for the DMF as well lol.
I have an S4 345mm conversion waiting at home for me, the standard brakes are a weak point. Even with EBC red stuff pads the brakes fade very quickly.
Like I say so far so good with the clutch. If I was to upgrade the clutch I'd go for this one it's good for up to 60% increase in torque.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfo...etition-clutch-stage-2-2100-series-clutch-kit

Last edited:
Reactions: Icarus83
If you want to fit an uprated clutch and not worry about it a Sachs Organic is the way to go. Slightly heavier pedal but much better than most anything else available. I fitted a standard LUK clutch in my Passat which was 210bhp and 350Lb/ ft of torque and it worked fine, I definately know that it wouldn't last as long as a Sachs clutch and would take no more in the way of torque but it did work.
The Sachs torque rating is very conservative, they will take more torque than the maximum rating.

Darkside Developments - LuK Flywheel & Sachs SRE Clutch Kit for VW Passat / Audi A4 / Audi A6 1.9 & 2.0 TDI 6 Speed

Karl.

Reactions: Icarus83
Ok thanks guys for the info, as the LUK kit sounds suitable I'll go that route I think. Will make sure I go for an organic plate though and not a sintered one.

I considered a SMF but I'd like my gearbox to last more than 10 mins, so will go OEM with that too and replace the whole kit and release bearing/flywheel bolts along with all the other service bits I'm doing at the same time (cambelt, tensioners, waterpump, aux belt, tensioner, oil filter, fuel filter air filter)!

Oh and one of my front wheel bearings has just started to drone......add that to the list I think!

Quick question guys:

Whats the internal diameter of the boost pipe from the turbo? I've got my new intercooler and it measures across the connections to be 2.25" or 57mm.

I need to buy some to connect up but I thought I'd check I'm in the right ball park diameter or if i need to buy tighter ones for a better fit or something!?!

Planning on getting a few different bits/joiners/clamps from these guys so I can make up the best route/have options for the hoses: Silicone Hoses - AutoSiliconeHoses.com ® - Buy Silicon Hoses Direct or Call 0844 8000 669

Cheers,
Rob

Found a turbo but not sure if it will fit my AVF plugnplay'ish

03L145702J
BV43A-0130

From an A5 8T 2.0 TDI

Found a turbo but not sure if it will fit my AVF plugnplay'ish

03L145702J
BV43A-0130

From an A5 8T 2.0 TDI
Nope, the BV43a will not fit plug and play, the exhaust flange is different pattern and the outlet is also a different shape and angle altogether. It can be made to fit though with a bit of know how and a welder !

Nope, the BV43a will not fit plug and play, the exhaust flange is different pattern and the outlet is also a different shape and angle altogether. It can be made to fit though with a bit of know how and a welder !
This is bv43 off the pd170 Bhp which is plug And play !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 665
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 705
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 698
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 764
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 746
Reactions: Wahlstrom
Here's a bv43a off a CR170 next of a bv43 off a pd170... I have a pd170 available if anyone is interested, please get in touch !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 683
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 762
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 782
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg