Buzzing Noise

ub7rm

Reaction score
After a spell in the wilderness I’m back with an S4… however this one has an annoying buzzing noise about it which I will try and describe.

• It’s a hum/ buzz noise. A little bit like when you put your mobile phone close to a speaker and you can hear it do it’s periodic handshake with the network.
  • Not impacted by engine speed, doesn’t alter with revs
  • Not impacted by road type, the smoother the road the louder it seems
  • Radio and hvac off - noise still there
  • Can’t be heard at 30 mph, but can be heard at 50 and above
  • it’s not ‘that’ loud, as speed increases above 50 it gets a little louder but not much. Radio will mostly drown it out
  • Seems to me to be coming from around the dash cluster, if I stick my head forward of the steering wheel the noise seems louder
  • I’ve pressed down on all speaker grills, trims etc to see if that helps narrow it down but nothing changes
  • I’m pretty sure it’s resonance rather than electrical or mechanical. Maybe even aero related but I can’t find / see any loose covers or trim outside that would cause it.
Any ideas? I see the common speaker grill issue and I’m pretty sure it’s not that. Also the overhead console buzz, but no amount of pushing or pressing on that changes the noise one iota.

My door panel is buzzing at the moment, have you tried that?

does it vary with speed? I’ve pushed against the door but it doesn’t change anything. I’ve been tricked with noise before, thinking it’s coming from the door when actually it was sunglasses in the centre console… at this point I can’t be sure where it’s coming from and that would be a real help.

Do you have Heads up display or electronic(virtual) dash? Could it be those?
Are you sure its coming from front, can double check and listen it near rear seats for fuel pump.

No head up but I do have the vc. I’m now starting to think it’s a wheel bearing. The noise is 100% wheel speed related, and I realised it changes a little in pitch as I turn the steering wheel. I’ve had wheel bearing go in the past and the noise was more a drone or rumble. This is different, but the evidence stacks up.

To close this out - it was a wheel bearing. It was a funny noise for a wheel bearing to make but there you go...