Buzzing noise?!

Dave_808

Reaction score
On the way home this evening, I heard a ‘buzzing’ noise when the cars at low revs, mainly when I’m off the accelerator and it’s using the engine braking.

It’s around 2000rpm or there abouts. I can’t pinpoint it at the minute.

Cars a 68 plate S3 saloon.

Anyone any ideas?

Buzzing or whining noise? Low/high frequency?

It’s a buzzing noise. Easily audible, I wouldn’t really describe it as either low or high frequency. It’s not a low rumble or anything and I wouldn’t describe as a high pitched noise either.

The seat belt height adjuster can’t buzz/vibrate, try holding that down next time.

Reactions: Dave_808
Like I said, it seems to appear at low revs. Whether this imparts more vibration to the car and that’s what’s causing it? It could be something loose somewhere.

Interesting.

I've asked for some more details because after I drove my first 100kms or so I've started to occasionally experience some kind of easily heard whining high pitched sound in similar conditions - between 1500-2000 revs, at speeds between 30 and 50kph, and seems to happen after I release the accelerator pedal or gently press it afterwards. Something like that. Sometimes it doesn't occur at all.

What is also strange that the pitch of that sound also changes in frequency proportionally in how the speed of the car goes up/down.

So I took the car to dealer on the first day it happened, went with service person for a quick test drive and guess what - he thinks it's the sound of the S tronic transmission in a brand new car. He essentially told me it's common for brand new cars, he mentioned the sound of car components WILL change between driven kilometers of usage. But he somehow also acquired if that sound gets worse, they will have a deeper look at it.

What I've also discovered that it can happen when revs go down a little suddenly (in my case when engine is braking or idling, or when two of the four cylinders get shut down).

It's not very pleasant experience for a premium car and a brand new one, but I can somehow live with it. Kind of happy it doesn't happen constantly all of the time. Btw, I have A3 8V FL 2019 sedan, 35 TFSI with CoD.

Reactions: Dave_808
Interesting.

I've asked for some more details because after I drove my first 100kms or so I've started to occasionally experience some kind of easily heard whining high pitched sound in similar conditions - between 1500-2000 revs, at speeds between 30 and 50kph, and seems to happen after I release the accelerator pedal or gently press it afterwards. Something like that. Sometimes it doesn't occur at all.

What is also strange that the pitch of that sound also changes in frequency proportionally in how the speed of the car goes up/down.

So I took the car to dealer on the first day it happened, went with service person for a quick test drive and guess what - he thinks it's the sound of the S tronic transmission in a brand new car. He essentially told me it's common for brand new cars, he mentioned the sound of car components WILL change between driven kilometers of usage. But he somehow also acquired if that sound gets worse, they will have a deeper look at it.

What I've also discovered that it can happen when revs go down a little suddenly (in my case when engine is braking or idling, or when two of the four cylinders get shut down).

It's not very pleasant experience for a premium car and a brand new one, but I can somehow live with it. Kind of happy it doesn't happen constantly all of the time. Btw, I have A3 8V FL 2019 sedan, 35 TFSI with CoD.

I’ve had 3 stronic cars, 2 a6 and now s3, and none made noises when new. First was a dry clutch(I think) and the other 2 wet clutches. All work as expected with no whine or other noises whether new or with 30-40ks on the clock.

I’ve had a look around and apparently the soundaktor rattling at these revs is very common.

So, it could be that?

I’ve had a look around and apparently the soundaktor rattling at these revs is very common.

So, it could be that?

Maybe out of topic question - do you happen to know if A3 8V FL 35 TFSI (1.5L engine, 110kw/150hp) does have the soundaktor module?

I too have a buzzing noise that is hard to localise. My car only does it at very specific revs and only when the car is in dynamic-S. It has done it since new and now there are 22,000 miles on the clock. Audi did look at it but did not fix it. It will do it at between 17-25 mph which in dynamic-S is 3rd gear. It does not do it in dynamic-D in any gear. Since I very rarely crawl around at 17-25 mph in dynamic-S it hasn't bothered me much. However, if it did that in other driving modes it would really irritate me because I work on a very large site (miles across) which has a very strictly enforced 20 mph limit! I've always thought it was the soundaktor. I could turn it down (or off) and see if that fixes it using Carista but I haven't bothered. It did peeve me when the car was very new.