Buzzing noise coming from engine bay 2.0 TDI

degville

Reaction score
Right first post and not a good one!

I was changing my headlight bulbs earlier and when I fit them I turned the key in the ignition(not starting engine) to get my lights on and heard a funny buzzing electrical sounding noise coming from the engine? When removing the key from the ignition and turning the lights off the noise carried on for around a minute.

In a panic I put my old bulbs back in but the noise was still there!

Anybody able to put my mind at rest here? Or is something wrong?

My car is a 57 plate 2.0 TDI 170

I have a T5 van that does the same , been doing it for 3 years now. Never have figured it out,scanned it several times and no codes .

Glad it's not just me then. The best I can explain the noise is a high pitched electrical sound?

When I'm booked in for a service at Midland VW ill be asking their opinion.

Yeah they make several noises on ignition turn, dont worry yet lol.

Have you guys fitted aftermarket headlights by any chance? Had this problem on my MG ZR with aftermarket headlights, turned out to be the motor in the passenger side headlight so i just unplugged it and the buzzing stopped.

Check the headlight leveller hasn't moved out of place (for the buzzing noise), the high pitch noise is probably just the EGR motor on the intake, amazing what's sounds you start to notice when you're looking for them.

They aren't aftermarket headlights just brighter bulbs. I thought it may have been the headlight leveller but when using the manual adjuster it still works fine, if the leveller was at fault would I still be able to adjust?

Sounds like the egr intake manifold flap buzzing, I noticed mine before changing my bulbs

Mine generally makes a groaning /buzzing noise after the engine is turned off. It can last for up to 3 minutes gradually getting quieter.