Buzzing after engine stopped

Aky

Aky
Reaction score
I get a buzzing coming from the engine when I turn my engine off. It happens even if the engine is cold or if the ignition has been turned on then off. Any ideas what it could be? Is something else knackered that needs to get looked at?

I've searched and there are a few posts about oil pump, but this only comes on if the engine is hot when switched off.

Any information is appreciated.

Where is the noise coming from? The Engine bay, offside or nearside?

The carbon filter often makes a clicking and buzzing even after the engine is stopped, this is perfectly normal.

Drivers side front of car by the headlight. I think it comes from a little black unit with a pipe connected to it. (technical term)

Carbon filter would make sense. Hopefully someone can confirm to put my mind to rest!

Thats it, the rectangular black box, its the carbon filter.

Don't worry about it, its meant to do it.

Is it in front of the radiator?

If so it sounds more like the after run pump, the carbon filter would only make a noise with the engine running, the after run pump makes a buzzing sound for approx 5-10 mins after the engine is switched off.

S3-ROB said:
Is it in front of the radiator?

If so it sounds more like the after run pump, the carbon filter would only make a noise with the engine running, the after run pump makes a buzzing sound for approx 5-10 mins after the engine is switched off.

Nice one. It does buzz for a bout 10 minutes after whether the car is hot or cold. Whats the afterpump for? Is mine supposed to do that whether you start the engine or not? Does yours?

Nice one. It does buzz for a bout 10 minutes after whether the car is hot or cold. Whats the afterpump for? Is mine supposed to do that whether you start the engine or not? Does yours?

I think the after run pump keeps the coolant circulating after the engine is switched off the help it cool down or something like that

Mine starts buzzing if i just switch the ignition on and not start the car, not sure if its normal or not but mine is a 2002 model like yours so lets hope its normal :icon_thumright:

This sounds normal (well mine does it). Even turning the ignition on for a couple of seconds kicks the pump off.