Buying used BMN turbo, what to look out for?

Sidhu88

Reaction score
As title, im looking to get a supposed low mileage PD170 turbo tomorrow. I'm not buying new, can't afford it, simple as. I'm not too clued up on what to look for with the turbo other than play in the shaft. The one im looking at has a broken actuator sensor that he says can be replaced with the one i have. Can anyone shed some light on this? Also i've been told i need to replace a pipe with it, isit the turbo oil feed pipe or the return pipe? Anything else anyone could advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jay

The actuator sensor can be swapped very easily, not so sure about the actual actuator though (it probably can be, but might be a pain), & check that the actuator rod can be fully moved & smoothly without sticking.

Also check there's minimal movement (in & out/up & down movement) of the turbine on the shaft, & check the condition of the turbine blades. If the blades are pitted, bent, or damaged in any way, leave it.

The oil feed pipe can be swapped off the old turbo along with the actuator sensor if required.

Cheers dude. Isit worth getting new oil feed pipes or just using the ones i already have?

Picked up one, wasnt the original one i planned to get. Tempted to change the turbo myself. The actuator seemed to move fairly easy, it travels say 15-20mm then gets fairly stiff, that seem right to u?