1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying used A1 s-line advice

Whitehawk Apr 5, 2018

1. Whitehawk

Whitehawk New Member

Hi, my first post!

We are due to go see a used s line this weekend. Its a 15 plate 1.4 but appears it has the higher road tax of £120 as opposed to £30. Looking at packers website it looks like the higher taxed engine stopped production January 15.

Does anyone know the difference in the engine? Anything I should be concerned about?

Also anything else that u should be checking on a 3 year old model? I'm guessing as it's the older engine it must have been manufactured late 2014.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. dts439

dts439 Active Member Team Daytona Audi A4 Audi A1

Road tax is based on CO2 value. The current bands are:
    - 0-100 £0
    - 101-110 £20
    - 111-120 £30
    - 121-130 £120
    etc

There is a specific CO2 value for each car made (stated on the V5) and it varies by engine, transmission, wheel size. Most 2015 1.4 petrols fall in the 111-120 band.

I'm guessing this car is a 5 door manual with 18" wheels and the 125PS engine which I think is 123 g/km? Note that the 150 PS engine has a lower CO2 figure (due to the COD technology).

4. Whitehawk

Whitehawk New Member

Yes it's as you described with 18 inch wheels. I'm confused about the wheel size part. Are they contributing to a higher road tax? Can the co2 be re-rated if the wheels were changed?

What's cod technology?

5. dts439

dts439 Active Member Team Daytona Audi A4 Audi A1

Yes. If you look in the brochure you see separate CO2 values for each possible wheel size for each engine/transmission option. Bigger wheels generaly mean wider tyres so more drag so that increases the CO2 when they perform the standard test.

No. CO2 figures cannot be changed once declared on the V5. I once queried this on a used car I was looking to buy as it should have had a lower value and was probably a mistake by the dealer - I was told that it could not be changed. On a brand new car you may be able to get it changed if you can show its a mistake.

COD is Cylinder on Demand. So the 1.4 is running on 2 cylinders at low speed/low demand, works really well.

6. Whitehawk

Whitehawk New Member

Thanks DTS439 that's good to know.
    I'm considering changing the 18s to 17s so a shame you can't change the rating.

Where's the best place to pick up used alloy wheels? I'm looking for the 10 spoke 17s but I only see singles on eBay.

I own a Seat Leon with the 2 cylinder tech. Agree it works well.