Buying s4 thoughts and advice needed please

Dwight Clayton

Reaction score
Hi all hoping to get a little advice and info now I'm in the market for a b8 S4. I drove a 4.2 version a few years back and found it not for me in the way it delivered its power or its actual drive but loved (have always loved) the build quality and refinement having owned VAG cars for last couple of decades. So I need practically having a young family but I won't be doing loads of miles so not bothered about its thirst and I've been used to running larger V6 cars before so used to that. Ultimately I'd like stage 1/+ as looking for that next level of performance from my previous cars so I'm hoping the B8 can deliver that in a rewarding drive.
So questions I've got are -Audi drive select and sports diff, is it worth getting one with these on and can you notice the difference?
I love the super sports seats so that would probably be an option I'd look for, but again is the Bang &Olufsun system significantly better than the standard system?
I'll probably be looking for one up to 2013 plate with ideally no more than 50 k and in s tronic form
What history should I be looking for/servicing/common faults?

Many thanks in advance

Main thing is to make sure it's got proper service history and seeing as you want the S-tronic you need to make sure it's had the gearbox serviced around the 37-38k mark

Reactions: Dippy
Make sure you get a B8.5 as the gearbox is more reliable, the b8's seem to be a ticking time bomb box wise.

I've got sports diff and although I havnt driven a non sports diff car I can definitely feel it doing its stuff and wouldn't want to be without it. It was the main option I searched for when buying.

Mine does have the drive select but doesn't have adaptive damping, this was better for me in the long run as I plan to put some KW's on and it means I will save money then as I won't need the drc cancelling unit things.

The B&O sounds great to me although I'm no audio guy. I like my music loud though and it's impossible to have a conversation with it at 3/4 volume. It does lack base at lower volumes though so I've got a free air pioneer sub to replace the B&O unit when I get round to it. This was 2nd most important option to me.

I don't have super sports seats unfortunately but I keep my eye on eBay to try and find a front pair at the right money. This was my plan as they're the easiest option to retro fit and can offset with selling my current seats.

The only other option I would have liked was a flat bottom, but again can be fitted easily.

My car is a 12 plate 8.5 and had had 4 recalls before I bought it for various things. Service wise I've taken it off long life schedule to do annual oil changes. Audi don't have the sports rear diff service on the service schedule for the S4 but they do for the rs5 which seems odd so I'm booked in for that next week. Other than that and the supercharger belt it's just standard usual service items.

Ryan

A member had a car on for 23k. Facelifted model with 20k miles i think

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm running a B8.5 2012 plate S4 avant. As mentioned the only real issue with ensuring that the s-tronic oil was changed at 37/38k; previous issues with the s-tronic and the mechatronic unit have been on older B8's, but the gearbox is likely to be biggest expense if it goes wrong, so making sure it's followed it's advised service schedules is a must.

People may well have their cars on long life, but I changed mine over to fix interval servicing when I got it (2 years old at 24k on the clock). I only do 5k miles a year but I take it in every year to make sure it's had an oil change. Interestingly, it's just been in to Audi and I told them they marked it for long life and I have it fixed. Came back done but with the next service point at 2 years/19k miles (long life). I'm going to ignore it. There's no way I'm going to leave it 2 years before an oil change.

Make sure it's had the brakes done if it's around 45-50k miles. Mine is on 41k and due new pads and discs soon, which Audi are quoting £600-700 just for the fronts.

In terms of options; I have Drive Select with adaptive dampers and it's wonderful. It's many cars in 1; you can drive it as a comfy cruiser with the kids, pop it into full dynamic for a blast, or have it set individually to your preferred style (think you have to also have a certain MMI for this though). You can really feel the dampers pushing back as you corner hard and adapting to the road surface.

I also have Super Sports seats. To me this is a must option, not only do they look far better than the normal seats, but they are much comfier and give the car a different ambiance/feel.

I have dynamic steering, which I find pretty good too. Again, something I'd select if I were buying new, works with Drive Select as a package to let you change the steering weight and response.

I don't have Sports Diff. Never really wanted it and wouldn't select it if I were buying new; too expensive for something I'm never going to notice. I spend most of my time driving to work or with the kids in the car and I'm hardly ever going to push it to the point where I'll need the Diff, especially on UK roads at legal speeds.

I'd also suggest looking for the MMI with HD Nav. You can load up your jukebox with music etc and it's a very nice system.

Other things to note:
Get a reward card at your local petrol stations and make sure you keep an eye on the speedo - legal speeds arrive VERY quickly and without notice due to the power delivery :)

This sound just like me car. Haha

Screenshot 20170319 214442

This is the car. I think it has sports diff and sport seats

That's a good spec car, which should hold value with the sport diff.

Sorry can't seem to paste the link

Just as a matter of interest and this may be a dumb question but I've been running a DSG 6 speed for last two n half years with no issue on clutch pack or gear box plus it was stage 1 mapped as was the ecu-so why is the s tronic seamilngly weaker in early cars?

I am no expert, but from previous posts the pre facelift models did have have issues

Just as a matter of interest and this may be a dumb question but I've been running a DSG 6 speed for last two n half years with no issue on clutch pack or gear box plus it was stage 1 mapped as was the ecu-so why is the s tronic seamilngly weaker in early cars?

It's the mech unit that controls everything that's weak. I'm no expert but think it's something to do with heat, the type of oil used and also think there's a difference with the filter on the updated box.

The biggest weak link you'll find if you drive a bit spirited is the brakes fade quite quickly, it's a big heavy car and you can easily get them stinking!

think the older versions were dry clutched which brought problems with them burning the newer versions are wet which from what ive read, starts to get hot and busts the mechatronic unit, dont have the reliability compared to the tiptronic boxes such so i think its a 2k premium to have the tip over the s tronic

think the older versions were dry clutched which brought problems with them burning the newer versions are wet which from what ive read, starts to get hot and busts the mechatronic unit, dont have the reliability compared to the tiptronic boxes such so i think its a 2k premium to have the tip over the s tronic

Didn't realise there was ever a Tip-Tronic option on the B8 / 8.5 S4 (IMHO, not that its desirable over an S-Tronic in terms of driving dynamics, but it might be a considered option in some instances)

Ultimately I'd like stage 1/+ as looking for that next level of performance from my previous cars so I'm hoping the B8 can deliver that in a rewarding drive.
Just had stage 2 on mine - makes it unbelievably quick.

Audi drive select and sports diff, is it worth getting one with these on and can you notice the difference?
ADS is the interface which allows control of SD, but it also allows control of other kit. One of these is throttle. In dynamic mode the throttle response is improved. So a car with ADS in dynamic (so 'box is in S) is 'livelier' that a car without ADS but 'box in S, especially at the low end.
SD makes a massive impact to handling, but as you'd expect only really at the limit or when the road is slippery. When I was interested in an S5 back in mid 2014 I went on loads of test drives of S4s and S5s to test out the kit. So it didn't take me long to realise that I wanted SD. But I'm the sort who often likes to drive with the car nearing the limits of traction (e.g. accelerating out of corners) so I knew that I would benefit from SD. But plenty of people don't drive like that so wouldn't.
I also have dynamic steering and adaptive dampers. The former is also good but more nice-to-have than really needed for handling. However the latter does affect handling - in dynamic my suspension is firmer than an S5 with standard sports suspension. Its difficult to compare but I think that it has similar effect to what the KWv1 coilovers did on my B5. Then I have the advantage that I can reduce the firmness of the suspension at the touch of the button. This is not something that everyone would appreciate but I do.
Good luck with finding an S4 with SD which also meets your other needs. In the end I gave up looking at used S5s and ordered mine new so that I could get the exact spec. Of course I was looking for S5 sportbacks which are much rarer than S4s, so maybe you'll have more success than I did.

The s-tronic gearbox in the B8 S4 is the DL501. Even when it was launched Audi planned to revise it: The first one had two oil filters for the clutch/mechatronics and they planned to delete one. At the first revision there was only the smaller filter and it became a serviceable item. It is now clear that the first version fitted to 2009/10 cars had problems, primarily mechatronics or control PCB/harness. Problems 'seem' to be worse if the oil changes were done late. As noted earlier there was another revision done for the B8.5 facelift. This one seems better and there are markedly fewer reports of problems with it than the earlier versions. Nevertheless we have to admit that its a risk item. Now that I have risked my warranty I know that I might need to pay to fix problems on mine. I shall certainly be having my gearbox service early - I don't do may miles - likely at around 3 years/15K.

What about manual gear boxes??? What kind of torque can they take without need for updated clutch etc-i.e. Could you go stage 2 475 -500 bhp on standard 6 speed manual??? I've seen a manual that interests but is running this kind of power and want to know what I'm looking for before I talk!?

Well I'm staying put at Stage 1 (remap) as I don't think the standard clutch can handle the pulleys!
It would certainly struggle to launch at 475bhp and four wheel drive.
When I bought my car last year, it had recently been fitted with a new (OE) clutch.
After the remap, I found a private road and got over 100mph in 6th, then dropped to 5th and floored it (maximum torque and power).
Clutch started to slip! Since then I have tested it many times through the gears without any problems. So I believe the standard clutch is at it's limit.
Of course, with another 50 bhp you could "drive around" the problem, but can't see the point.
The other thing is that the uprated clutch fitments can cause problems starting the car!
Pressing the clutch down is not triggering the third sensor to allow the engine to crank.

Well I'm staying put at Stage 1 (remap) as I don't think the standard clutch can handle the pulleys!
It would certainly struggle to launch at 475bhp and four wheel drive.
When I bought my car last year, it had recently been fitted with a new (OE) clutch.
After the remap, I found a private road and got over 100mph in 6th, then dropped to 5th and floored it (maximum torque and power).
Clutch started to slip! Since then I have tested it many times through the gears without any problems. So I believe the standard clutch is at it's limit.
Of course, with another 50 bhp you could "drive around" the problem, but can't see the point.
The other thing is that the uprated clutch fitments can cause problems starting the car!
Pressing the clutch down is not triggering the third sensor to allow the engine to crank.
What kind of torque/power you running?

What about manual gear boxes??? What kind of torque can they take without need for updated clutch etc-i.e. Could you go stage 2 475 -500 bhp on standard 6 speed manual??? I've seen a manual that interests but is running this kind of power and want to know what I'm looking for before I talk!?

B8's come in manual or dsg

B8.5's dsg only unfortunately

Manual AND sports diff? Good luck with that search...

luckily the new S models which are being released have the tiptronic boxes