Buying Guide....

Funkyfin2000

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Hi guys,

I have been looking for a dark A4 Avant 2004 Sline for ages and eventually I have found one.

54 plate....checked the service history with the dealers etc etc and it all pans out. Had the cambelt done at 97k and its on 99k.

Anything I should be looking out for, it has the alcantra interior, one of the dealers said the rear and front window motors were changed recently which seemed a bit odd :) Are they likely to go?

How do I know if its got a Bose sound system? Its got a single CD front and think it has a changer in the glove compartment?

Any help or tips appreciated, hope to pick it up Saturday, snow permitting!

It also seems to have the Avus S4 wheels on too!

No prizes for guessing which one im seeing if you use autotrader! LOL!

Rich

Last edited:
I don't know much about the 1.8T..... I've never heard of window motors being problematic.

If it has Bose then it will have small badges on the speaker grilles saying so, and will also display Bose in the stereo when you turn it on.

The Avus wheels are a nice touch if they're genuines, which I imagine they are.

It's crucial that these engines have had regular oil changes - if it hasn't had a recent one get them to do it.

As a whole they are a very good solid car so I guess looking at things like service history and wear and tear is the best advice.

Same as above - never heard of the windows being an issue so it probably just had a niggle which has been rectified.

Big expenses will be,

Timing belt - already done, check waterpump was done at the same time as these fail
Clutch - If it hasn't had one then it could be around the corner and this is a large cost
Plenum chamber drains - check there is no water below battery and that drains are clear or removed - see my other posts if not sure. If there is water in there then beware.

1.8T's have minor niggles but nothing too expensive imo. Coil packs, MAF, Diverter valve, thermostat, temp sender all can fail at this mileage. Ask for a scan of fault codes if its from a garage to ensure there are none. As mentioned check service history. Standard intervals 10k and longlife intervals up around 15k i think. If it has been on long life then you might want to consider cleaning the oil pick up pipe as they are more common to block. I stick to oil changes at 10k/ 1 year max on my S3. If its never had the gearbox oil changed then its about the mileage that would improve things noticeably.

Window motors failing is a bit of weird one. Might be worth finding out more about this if you can.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Its a 1.9tdi! Hehe! Not a petrol!

It wasn't the window mechs but the wiper mechs that were changed. Front and rear.

It has the concert stereo in it single CD - no sign of Bose on it :( Sounds ok tho!

Has half alcantra interior which is lovely and the car is pretty much spotless.

Is the glove compartment suppose to be so stiff and have to really pull on it to open it? Just seems like it has soft opening.

We bought it £7500 and mileage all checks out as I rang the dealers.

Has had cambelt and water pump done 1000 miles ago :)

I will VAG com it today.

Front bulb went on the way home! LOL! so need to get that sorted.

Could I upgrade the stereo to anything audi genuine easily?????

Thanks all, we love the motor so far!

Pity its only doing 39mpg average on the dual carriage ways last night coming home, i hoped it would do a bit more!!! :)

Rich

It only clicks the boot open though, rather than an electric opening as such - a bit pointless imo.

The stiff glovebox will be as a result of the damper seizing up. I would make this the first job you do as it WILL break the glovebox hinge very soon! See here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...wners-do-today-save-yourself-over-%A3150.html

Both wiper mechanisms being replaced isn't unexpected. The front wiper mechanism is known for going stiff over time, and if not rectified will burn the motor out. Just make sure the mechanism was replaced or freed up at the same time. The washer pipe can split in the tailgate, resulting in a knackered rear wiper motor which is probably whats happened.

Sounds a nice car though, now go do the glovebox damper!