Buying an S5

Samgilding

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently looking at buying an Audi S5 V8 when the lease expires on my current car (C class coupe). Before this I have previously owned a TT and a golf which I was into modifying, and this is what I have missed with the Mercedes hence deciding on an S5 as my next car.
I am looking at getting cars in the 07-10 range with upto 80,000 miles on the clock, although preferably less. I am posting to find out any common faults to be aware of, as well asgeneral things to be aware of when buying a car including desirable optional extras.
Also, if anybody could point me in the direction of a thread with popular modifications or a good build thread for inspiration I would be very greatful
Cheers, sam.

Yea the issue with the V8 is that it's a naturally aspirated engine, so modding is difficult.

Unlike the 3.0V6, which is supercharged, ECU remaps are very ineffectual. Like Cuppa and his epic build, you can look at adding at supercharger but it's not cheap...!

Common issues are clutch problems and carbon build up. Can look at getting help from Cuppa with Carbon Cleaning, but the clutch can be very costly. Seen a good few examples on both auto and manual transmissions.

Personally, while the V8 is stunning and sounds immense, I would look at a B8.5 V6 if
You are into modding.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Yes do a Cuppa build then you will have a badass car mate.

I have a 59 plate S5 with the V8.

Initially, I had a few issues in the when I bought it earlier this year such as a hairline crack in the coolant reservoir, a hose on the coolant system let go on another occasion and I lost all my coolant about a half a mile from my house on my way home from work. But, (touch wood) all has been fine ever since.

I did have a carbon clean by Engine Carbon Clean, the kind that cuppa does at a cost of about £90 and it smoothed out a flat spot I had noticed.

Currently the car completely stock and is on 101,000 miles whilst not missing a beat.

Over 11 months I've covered 12,317 miles and it's averaged 22.5mpg. In cash money that's £2908.05 in super unleaded! But, once I had heard that V8 in person I was sold, so the running costs are neither here or there.

Mines an auto, which I think suits the car very well, it makes for a very good motorway cruiser, with the option to pop it into manual mode for some fun on the country roads.

Any questions, give me a shout.

M.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
Reactions: mister.c., Audi Bairn, voorhees and 1 other person
There's a very tidy V8 on the A5-OC for £14k.

V8 A5 growl - ooh eer:racer:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
They seem to have come down a lot in price this year, you could probably find a bargain this time of year.

Hi sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a flat spot when accelerating on my 09 a5 2.0t cab. Would the carbon clean referred to above help with this? Does anyone know? Thanks

Possibly. Try a full service and a carbon clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regarding the carbon clean, when is better to be done? before of after service ?
my car is an s5 2014 not to many miles either just 27k, do I need a carbon clean or not?
found few companies like green engine machine, engine carbon clean but I'm not really convinced about this kind of service, anyway my main concern is that if I use the car for about 200 - 500 miles after that I need to clean the exhaust, why there is such big amount of carbon deposits?
and because of this I was thinking that probably would be a good idea to try one of this carbon clean services probably after that I don't have to clean the exhaust so often.
anyone who can help with this?

P. S What bothers me most is when I need to take it out of my driveway and need to full lock to the left oh my God there is 2 knocking horrible sounds
but yeah this is a different story where Audi dealer explained to me that is normal because of Quattro, but for me is not normal at all to pay premium prices and have those noises.

anyway I will stop here otherwise I can write a novel about Audi :))) because I just love it.

regarding the carbon clean, when is better to be done? before of after service ?
my car is an s5 2014 not to many miles either just 27k, do I need a carbon clean or not?
found few companies like green engine machine, engine carbon clean but I'm not really convinced about this kind of service, anyway my main concern is that if I use the car for about 200 - 500 miles after that I need to clean the exhaust, why there is such big amount of carbon deposits?
and because of this I was thinking that probably would be a good idea to try one of this carbon clean services probably after that I don't have to clean the exhaust so often.

P. S What bothers me most is when I need to take it out of my driveway and need to full lock to the left oh my God there is 2 knocking horrible sounds
but yeah this is a different story where Audi dealer explained to me that is normal because of Quattro, but for me is not normal at all to pay premium prices and have those noises.

anyway I will stop here otherwise I can write a novel about Audi :))) because I just love it.

I wouldn't expect much carbon build up on a V6 S5 after just 27k. I certainly won't hurt, but I doubt you will see much difference.

And yes, knocking noise on full lock at low speeds is well documented and is a known to be caused by the quattro system. Some say that certain tyres can help improve the noise, but its just one of those things. Small price to pay for the awesome traction of 4WD IMO...

Reactions: OmontVeroI

I had same problem took six months to sort told audi that if I drive a brand new s5 from showroom and it makes same noise then ok they said no so I fitted two new front tyres they reprogrammed the electric steering rack did a realignment on wheels and the noise went don't let audi fob u off its not because it's quattro

Reactions: OmontVeroI
Put your car on a rolling road a see what HP you are loosing if its lots then possibly get a carbon clean.

I had same problem took six months to sort told audi that if I drive a brand new s5 from showroom and it makes same noise then ok they said no so I fitted two new front tyres they reprogrammed the electric steering rack did a realignment on wheels and the noise went don't let audi fob u off its not because it's quattro
thank you for your response,
I believe that you are right because I have a feeling that is not the Quattro, I know what Quattro means and what happens when front tyres are low in tread but the knocking that I hear is not from there is like it's cracking noise( like metal on metal ) , first thing I will replace front tyres and obviously the knocking and all that will be the same because can't fix a car by changing tyres :))) audi technician has told me to change tyres and the noises will go away which I don't believe for a sec but at least I can go back again with brand new tyres and they have to do something because if I go back after warranty will expire in July then I'm sure that they are going to charge me lots of money. need to fix it before that :)

thank you for sharing your experience with Audi.

Full lock right or left :
as I told you guys last week about my full lock noises and all that, and that was the reason that I went back to STANSTED Audi to have a look and tell me what could be wrong because I knew that is not the just quattro, in the end told me to replace front tyres and all that.
when they checked the car they took off the front wheels and they told me that everithing looks perfect no worries about.
today I went down to my local garrage ( MR. Unique- nice guys all around) and when they took off the wheels to change tyres they found this.
Please guys advise me how on EARTH you as a dealer take the wheels off and seeing that you are not telling me anything about, or to tell me that the car has to go for traking service
how they gave me the car back telling me no worries about is all spot on ?
NO this is not acceptable, there is no WORD in dictionary for the job they did on my car.
and S5 car got enough performance and strong enough engines and with tyres like this you could die if there is an explosion.
thanks God and thanks Dunlop because a good tyre even in worse situation still withstand pressure.

what's the point having warranty on your car with this kind of Audi dealers ?