Buying an S5 help

ell107

Reaction score
Hi am sure theres this question already on here but just want to know what to look out for when buying an S5 and what problems you may get owning one cheers!

Bit more detail would be useful.... What sort of year/mileage/engine/transmission you looking at?

Having said that I don't know of many 'common' problems on the S5, other than carbon build up, and issues that are more common across the A/S5 range, such as worn shocks and window regulator failure.

I was looking at around 70-80 k mileage the 4.2 V8 engine with manual transmission

Ah OK. If its a manual I have seen a few threads referring to issues with the clutch on A5OC. At that sort of mileage I would be looking for any signs of issues with that, as well looking to get the engine carbon cleaned if the previous owner hasn't had it done, as carbon build up typically occurs faster on the V8.

Out of interest are you happy with the car at stock, or looking to modify? The V8 is a fantastic engine, but getting more power is difficult on the NA engine. The best way is to add a supercharger and it becomes a absolute monster, but its not cheap. The supercharged V6 is much more flexible when it comes to mods due to remaps, pulley upgrades, etc. Of course you don't get quite the same grunt from the engine....!

Thanks for the advise, im happy with the standard V8 maybe go down the milltek road after a while im looking at about 50k millage now as ive seen a nice one! Sounds silly again but what should i get if i do need the carbon clean do you guys have any recomends? Is the clutch thing common aswell?

Thanks for advice, im happy with standard car but may go down milltek road after a while, what do you need to do for the carbon clean? And is the clutch common?

Unfortunately the clutch issue does look common enough to be a concern. Just had another member join A5OC forum to complain about having to replace the clutch...only 5yrs old and 37k miles....

Would have a look at carbon clean from a member on here called Cuppa. Very cheap compared to the traditional methods and some good feedback from members that have tried it.

V8 + Milltek.....brutal!!

Ok tidy well ill keep an eye out for the clutch issue when im looking at one, and the carbon clean doesnt sound to be that bad

I know ive watched some YouTube videos of ones qith milltek:)