Buying an S4 that has a few niggles

tonybolony

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am looking to upgrade my 2.7BiT . looking at the V8, seen a nice one for sale, but it has a few niggles, and what i want to know is if there is a big cost involved to put right? . I am quite competent to do stuff on my own.

First off at 85k is there anything i should be looking out for?

next is when car starts, rear wiper goes on for 10 secs then is no longer responsive?

Sunroof will tilt, but it will not retract back into car ?

Any help appreciated, car is a long way from me, so naturally i want to be sure it can be sorted at a reasonable price.

Tony

Hi Tony

I can't help you with too much here, except the rear wiper. Usually the wash pipe splits somewhere in the tailgate causing fluid to run into the motor, this usually causes it to do funny things, and it will most likely require replacing. Unless it's a relay error?

The V8 isn't a bad engine from a reliability point of view in general I don't think - it's got a timing chain - I don't know if it needs replacement at all, but I know that any work in that area is usually an engine out job. There are a few S4 owners on here who can probably advise you better.

would that be the control mudel going funny do you think

ok, so am looking at a new motor or a used motor for the wiper, that i can source and replace, and need to check for a split in a hose. Any ideas on sunroof? bit job to repair?

My 2.7 has dont 157k and is still purring along, i am hoping the V8 is built just as well :)

If i remember correctly the sunroof switch contacts can become dirty causing this problem. Cleaning them with contact cleaner solved the problem.

ok cool this is all sounding promising then, and how nuch life does the V8 have? like i say my 2.7 is on 157k now and still pulling like a train

As long as the oil is changed frequently then the engine will go on and the timing chains don't have to be serviced. However mine was on long life service intervals of 20k before i got it at 79k and a tensioner and guide broke about a week into ownership. It was repaired under warranty though so I would suggest getting one for it as like QuattroJames says its an engine out job and audi wanted £6000 to do the work.

The timing chains can be noisy on first start up when cold so don't let that put you off. look into what work has been done as also I had the lower suspension arms changed as well. But if the previous owner hasn't got the sunroof and rear wiper fixed what else haven't they done? Have you got a link to the advert and do you know the service history?

has a full audi & independent service history, and was serviced 2 months ago by Audi at about 83k .

few things to watch for

on start up the chain tenshioner usually rattles for a few seconds but it should be silent afterwards
auxillary radiators corrode and can sometimes leak and are usally 2-300 each to sort out
cam covers can leak but a new replacement gasket kit can be bought quite cheaply from a few places this can also include cam seals and alot of other things

the sunroof is made by webasto and is very very complicated it could be an electrical fault but it also could be mechanical (drawstrings) ...which will be costly as it will require the full headlining to come out along with a,b,c,d pillars sun visors and half of the tailgate ...
i had mine out completly and serviced it and cleaned it up when i changed the headlinging for an alcantara item

ive had my car for nearly 5 years and can honestly say its the best car ive ever had and even though it does cost a bit to keep it running i wouldnt even dream of selling it

Thanks for that, i now have the Car, and it great, gave 7800 for it. Those radiators have been replaced, and i have the bill for it, seems it wasnt a cheap job from the Audi dealer, so at least wont have to worry about that. Sunroof its another item though. Its tilting, but it just seems to get stuck if you try to retract it.

It has the Alcantara interior and Recro Seats etc. Seems a good car for the money. It it drove back from Glasgow to Leeds like a dream.

i will get some sorted later of them both seen as i now own a S4 B5 , B6 and a Sub Type RA :) , my insurance Company loves me!

Looks good.

Doesn't say much for the value of our cars now if you can pick up an 04 S4 for £7800 :(

Last edited:
Well i think it is a question of how badly you need to sell, this guy ended up offering the car to a dealer as a part Ex and the dealer offered him £7k , so i made it worth his while to not give it to the dealer, which was an extra £800.

I would still say a 04 has to be worth 9 - 10k still?, i was just lucky with this, and it will last me years to come i hope.

Looks like a very nice car you have got there and a bargain too. Enjoy