Buying an s3 help needed

Jason94

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking into buying an s3 8p in the next month or so
Few questions to get me started off, if they have already been answered can you point me in the right direction what's the everyday running costs like? So tyres,mpg and servicing costs?

What modifications are best bang for buck ? Intakes exhausts and remaps? What is the standard turbo good for power wise?

Any other tips to look out for would be helpful
Thanks for reading
Jason

Just a brief reply right now as its late for me anyway.

Mpg....about 28-30mpg average if you're driving reasonably and 24-36 if you flog it.
Even mine will average 22mpg and it's definitely not standard.

Standard turbo will not get you much beyond 360-380bhp and there is no point trying for more without a hybrid or big turbo.

Best CAI.... Revo or ITG.
Best exhaust...BCS.

Best maps....Revo,AMD and APR for off the shelf and Unicorn for custom.

Look for FSH.
No smoke from exhaust after a good run.
Haldex service if appropriate mileage.
Cam follower changed.

Generally very reliable if serviced regularly and looked after.

As an example....86k miles here and 540-600bhp.

Reactions: S.
@S3Alex

Thanks for the reply, very informative
What a combination of a car :)

One last question, what's the torque like? After mapping? And will the clutch handle the bhp and torque if you decide to go past stage 1 tuning

Jason

Mpg....about 28-30mpg average if you're driving reasonably and 24-36 if you flog it.

Standard turbo will not get you much beyond 360-380bhp and there is no point trying for more without a hybrid or big turbo.

Best exhaust...BCS.

Look for FSH.
Cam follower changed.

Best exhaust...BCS.

Look for FSH.
Cam follower changed.

Reactions: S3Alex
The stock clutch is usually OK at Stg1,which is usually 310-320bhp and up to 320lbs of torque.

What most of us would say is to hope for the best,and prepare for the worst,just in case.

Most stock clutches don't manage Stg2 and above.

@S3Alex

Thanks for the info, should keep me entertained for a good while haha, then maybe uprated clutch and open it up abit more but to keep reliability priority

Jason

The stock clutch is usually OK at Stg1,which is usually 310-320bhp and up to 320lbs of torque.

What most of us would say is to hope for the best,and prepare for the worst,just in case.

Most stock clutches don't manage Stg2 and above.

@Jason94

Serviced and looked after they are usually very reliable and tough engines.

Not much to add to Alex's advice. The S3 is already a quick car, you may find it has plenty of speed when pushed hard and in all weathers. Go for a stage 1 map first by a good tuner and that should keep you with a smile on your face for some time.

Reactions: S3Alex
Not much to add to Alex's advice. The S3 is already a quick car, you may find it has plenty of speed when pushed hard and in all weathers. Go for a stage 1 map first by a good tuner and that should keep you with a smile on your face for some time.
Agreed. I'm running stage 1 and compares very well with my old Scooby which was running 350BHP. :pride:
As said above look for good service record. One thing to be aware of....if you hear knocking from under the pedals or through the
steering column it could be the steering rack. Not terminal but not cheap either.