Buying an S3... Few questions

Matthew_S3

Reaction score
Hi all - I have owned an A4 and A5 in the past and I am now going to the S3!! I have driven it a couple of times and I can easily say it's a monster!!

But... I have a few more sensible questions!

- Whats the REAL LIFE MPG? (Not that bothered, just good to know)
- Do I have the option to keep the start/stop function off at all times?
- Is there a good place to get 'S' merch? For example 'S' keyring etc (Yes, I'm quite sad...)

And now for the important question... How do I use the launch control and is it tracked by Audi?

I am looking to pick the car up tonight/tomorrow! EXCITED IS NOT THE WORD!!!

Reactions: StandFree
If I take it easy on my work journey in Eco mode I can manage 38mpg. That's a total of 90miles. 80% motorway, 20% town. I'm averaging around 32mpg generally in dynamic mode with gearbox set to D. If you drive everywhere in sport mode id imagine this would drop quite a bit as it holds onto the gears. I also have the APR stage 1 map.

I just turn the start stop off when I get in the car. You can have it defaulted to off but have to do with a laptop.

Reactions: Matthew_S3
Hello @MatthewA94

MPG for me on a decent run without much booting will easily get 38mpg plus. Have seen 45mpg on a 120 mile run trying to average 65mph on duel carriageways. When having fun I have got it as low as 19mpg. Mix of normal driving and fun gets me 27-30mpg easily.

Start/stop can be disabled with a button on the dash. You would have to switch it off at the start of every journey. Might be able to code something permanent through VCDS.

Loads of keyrings available through dealers. Sure your dealer will sell one tonight if you ask. EBay has plenty too.

More info below on s-tronic limits...
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index.php?threads/245027/

Last edited:
I have a manual and is in Dynamic all the time. Over the last 6k miles I have averaged 32.8mpg. This is a combo of fun blasts to work and slow (getting caught up behind old grannies) runs to work..

When you collect the car ask the dealer for some freebie merchandise.. maybe you can go the full hog and get a cap and a jacket too..lol

if you don't get on with the start/stop then do as Pulp has said and switch it off everytime you jump in car. I personally leave it on as if I don't want to cut out I just leave foot on clutch. :)

Enjoy your new car!!! Remember, if you don't put at least 5 pics up within 24hrs of ownership nobody will believe you have one!! Them are the rules!! :)

Reactions: Simon L, Jassyo06 and Matthew_S3
I have a manual and is in Dynamic all the time. Over the last 6k miles I have averaged 32.8mpg. This is a combo of fun blasts to work and slow (getting caught up behind old grannies) runs to work..

When you collect the car ask the dealer for some freebie merchandise.. maybe you can go the full hog and get a cap and a jacket too..lol

if you don't get on with the start/stop then do as Pulp has said and switch it off everytime you jump in car. I personally leave it on as if I don't want to cut out I just leave foot on clutch. :)

Enjoy your new car!!! Remember, if you don't put at least 5 pics up within 24hrs of ownership nobody will believe you have one!! Them are the rules!! :)

Don't worry - the pics will be up, nicest car I've bought so will be showing the white monster off ;-)

Thanks everyone for the help!

Reactions: AndyB-S3
revo stage 2 , I drive the car to enjoy it sprinted drives ect and vit returns 28mpg

Always have the car in dynamic for throttle response (comfort for steering) and use high grade fuel and averaging ca.38mpg on long motorway runs and long term average is ca. 32mpg. So same as a couple of others that have already posted.

Enjoy the collection day experience

Not found much in the way of "S" merchandise for key rings so defaulted to these two small "audi" offerings for my keys both off of ebay (and before you ask always separate house from car key as hate any jangling around of other keys when car key is in the ignition)

Keys

Last edited:
Reactions: dolo and Matthew_S3
Hi all - I have owned an A4 and A5 in the past and I am now going to the S3!! I have driven it a couple of times and I can easily say it's a monster!!

But... I have a few more sensible questions!

- Whats the REAL LIFE MPG? (Not that bothered, just good to know)
- Do I have the option to keep the start/stop function off at all times?
- Is there a good place to get 'S' merch? For example 'S' keyring etc (Yes, I'm quite sad...)

And now for the important question... How do I use the launch control and is it tracked by Audi?

I am looking to pick the car up tonight/tomorrow! EXCITED IS NOT THE WORD!!!

Welcome! Enjoy the car, I bet you'll love it.

Real life MPG for me is 22.5mpg - I live in a town so rarely get out onto the open road. That's over 420 miles. My previous S3 (March - July) did 23.5mpg overall. I didn't buy the car for the MPG.

If you're buying from an Audi centre they should throw in a keyring or cup. I got floor mats, keyring, coffee mug and iphone leads.

Launch control - do a forum search, there's lots of threads. In a nutshell, Dynamic, turn every assist off, plant left foot on brake, hit the gas, revs will hold at 3.5 - 4k and then release the brake. It's actually not as rocket like as you think. I've done LC in a 911 C2S and it was s**t scary. S3 is more refined.

Enjoy the car!

24mpg is my average over 1500miles, as above i live in a town and my work is a 12 mile round trip, i only get to really drive it for long periods of time on evening where i take the GF out or the weekend journeys.

Not bad atall really.

Just enjoy your new car, I'm fairly certain you'll love it. Nice colour for an S3.

Manual in dynamic and just under 5400 mile, getting an average of 33.8mpg, with average speed showing 27mph, mainly driving in and around town with a few blasts at weekends and off the lights ;) Too and from work is a 40 limits for 80% of the way so sits at that most of the time.

I turn stop-start off as soon as I start the car.

I received the S leather key fob from Audi when I collected the car, but I wanted an S3 one so I bought this:

S3

My rat run to work is a mix of 70mph, 30mph in town, 40mph and 50mph, over 15 miles.

In my s-tronic I got 25mpg regularly. Averaged 26 I think over 8000 miles.

In my current manual I got 31 this morning and it's only done 300 miles.

Same route, same driving style. My manual has no cruise which I used to use regularly in my s-tronic.

Manual seems much more economical.

I don't check the mpg, pointless really, slightly better than the V6 especially on cruise control/motorways, goes up quite high.

If you're DOB is 94, at the risk of sounding old...just take it easy. I can see you had the 3.0 which is fast and torquy but once you plant down on the S3 it goes up to silly speeds. Aside from that enjoy the car :)

As for LC, didn't bother until around 6k miles and when I did....woaah!!! Literally flies off to 30mph! All done legally ofc :)

Collection tonight (if Audi pull their fingers out!!)... Few pics from Audi... Will take my own pics when it's home safe & sound.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 167
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: A3_Rider, Simon L and AndyB-S3
After reading all comments think mine MPG seems to be the worse one
-town driving mainly between 8-12mpg dynamic mode of course.
-efficiency + ACC set on 35 between 45-55mpg overall but on the board computer current showing about 65mpg if theres no one infront to slow me down.

Congrats for the new car looks good! also great choice colour same as mine!

Looks nice, white hides a multitude of sins so that's a bonus :)

Collection tonight (if Audi pull their fingers out!!)... Few pics from Audi... Will take my own pics when it's home safe & sound.
Real nice mate. I have a Glacier white S3 on order with privacy glass also.

Tell me, how did you get those front windows tinted too from stock? Or do they come like that anyway?

Real nice mate. I have a Glacier white S3 on order with privacy glass also.

Tell me, how did you get those front windows tinted too from stock? Or do they come like that anyway?
They are stock mine are the same, think its with the privacy glasses option and same here glacier white too.

They aren't tinted windows - just the lighting in the pics! I'll post some real pics in a new topic now!

Cheers guys.