Buying an RS3 privately

Djl

Reaction score
I was recently in the process of buying an Audi approved used PFL RS3. The car went through Audi’s million point check and came out fine. Called up this weekend to arrange collection but they told me that once they’d got it into the body shop, they found that the paint was full of filler, implying it had been in an accident. They therefore couldn’t continue with the sale and I’m now left searching again!

I’ve found a car with the spec I’m looking for being sold by a private seller on eBay. The car was bought at auction (black horse finance repossession) with the intention to sell on for profit. How risky is it to buy a car like the RS3 from a private seller? Obviously if it turns out something was wrong with the car I’d have nobody to go back to. Is there any way to get the car looked over by a knowledgable mechanic before purchase? I assume RAC/AA pre purchase inspections may not be suitable for performance cars? What things in particular would you check for before buying?

HPI Check is the first thing to do.

If the seller is genuine, then he won't mind if you arrange for the car to be inspected by Audi (at your cost). That way they can fully check the car out on the ramps, and also plug it into the ECU.

A company called DEKRA (who AA/RAC use) can do an inspection report on a performance car. I used them a while back on an imported Impreza STi and they were very thorough. Cost about £250.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Never had one myself but there's always the option of an aftermarket warranty (assuming the car's old enough to be out of manufacturers warranty).

Also, I don't know whether some of the places that offer a used car inspection also offer a warranty (on the car, not their inspection, although there would no doubt be some crossover).

Never had one myself but there's always the option of an aftermarket warranty (assuming the car's old enough to be out of manufacturers warranty).

Also, I don't know whether some of the places that offer a used car inspection also offer a warranty (on the car, not their inspection, although there would no doubt be some crossover).

You can buy an Audi Extended warranty, whether it’s expired or not! Well over a grand for a 12 month, but worth it if it went bang.

Audi cover may not have run out, worth a check with seller via a phone call.

TX.

As above. You used to be able to transfer it from owner to owner.

You can, it stays with the car for its first 3 years regardless of owners. Any approved car regardless of age gets 1 year warranty from date of purchase, if you have 6 months of the factory warranty left when purchased, you’d get 6 months additional from the car being approved.

But we have a 2010 A4 on the Audi Extended warranty scheme, it’s cheaper if you keep it going I think from the factory 3 year but you can buy one at any time.