Buying an Audi S3 Saloon

amit87

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am (maybe was) a proud owner of a 2005 Audi A3 sport 2.0 TFSI Sportback. Specs: DSG, interior lighting, RNS-e Mk1, voice controls, bluetooth, cruise control, auto lights/wipers, aux, leather, panoramic roof, etc. It has AMAZING spec for the year... anyways out with the old and in with the new...

I plan to put down a deposit to secure an 2014 Audi S3 Saloon tomorrow. I am not sure on full specs but its got HDD navigation, s-tronic, sport (NOT super) seats, cruise, etc.

What should I look out for with the car? What will it be like owning one? I have read people have had some issues... what isues can I expect?

Thanks... I am looking forward (hopefully!!) to move over from the 8P forum to the 8V forum :D

Reactions: SW14NY'S
As far as issues, just a few I've heard of:

- Kangeroo suspension (although usually more pronounced on HB and SB)
- Turbo failures (earlier models)
- B&O crackling (again seems to be earlier models)
- Low MPG (particularly with short commuting)
- Cabin squeaks (various reports - probably HB and SB as saloon is a superior model)
- Windscreen wiper judder
- Poor grip with Continental tyres (on higher mileage tyres)
- Excessive coolant loss (again haven't seen many recent reports)
- Poorly set up headlights (factory problem not likely an issue with a 14 model)

...............loads more that I can't remember just now!!

But hey, all car manufacturers have issues right??........................:whistle2:

Last edited:
Reactions: veeeight and Scottyg
........oh yeah...........doors rattling!! lol

Reactions: Jassyo06
As far as issues, just a few I've heard of:

- Kangeroo suspension (although usually more pronounced on HB and SB)
- Turbo failures (earlier models)
- B&O crackling (again seems to be earlier models)
- Low MPG (particularly with short commuting)
- Cabin squeaks (various reports - probably HB and SB as saloon is a superior model)
- Windscreen wiper judder
- Poor grip with Continental tyres (on higher mileage tyres)
- Excessive coolant lose (again haven't seen many recent reports)
- Poorly set up headlights (factory problem not likely an issue with a 14 model)

...............loads more that I can't remember just now!!

But hey, all car manufacturers have issues right??........................:whistle2:
**** me that was a post n a half lol

Reactions: Simon L
Hi Guys,

I am (maybe was) a proud owner of a 2005 Audi A3 sport 2.0 TFSI Sportback. Specs: DSG, interior lighting, RNS-e Mk1, voice controls, bluetooth, cruise control, auto lights/wipers, aux, leather, panoramic roof, etc. It has AMAZING spec for the year... anyways out with the old and in with the new...

I plan to put down a deposit to secure an 2014 Audi S3 Saloon tomorrow. I am not sure on full specs but its got HDD navigation, s-tronic, sport (NOT super) seats, cruise, etc.

What should I look out for with the car? What will it be like owning one? I have read people have had some issues... what isues can I expect?

Thanks... I am looking forward (hopefully!!) to move over from the 8P forum to the 8V forum :D
Check for wedding confetti n garters down the sides of all the seats.....lol

Reactions: Simon L
Thanks for the replies guys and thanks Simon for the helpful list.

Well deposit put down! What a way to start 2016! Dreamt of owning an S3 for 10years and now the year has come! Had 8 dreams about it last night! Excited isn't the word!

OK so I have it now... pictures below: (Sorry for the poor quality)

AnLq3GG Hx1hISbAvZdyz6gOHFLZyc5jvte6M9H9m2Vo
AlXSMeD2dz35RtIPICGj7JmRnXcIngkr4iufP8t6X05s
AoYoMGGl8  bG yneo5kZOTrBkeMk6eJns3czuMqLWrg

Reactions: nadsi77 and Beery
I like the misano red - very nice!

Reactions: amit87
SO what do I think so far... WOW!

Compared to my old Audi A3 Sport 2.0T FSI DSG Sportback.... well here are my thoughts below:

-Spec is near the same except this got xenons etc

-S3 takes about 1seconds from planting foot to actually taking off... old A3 was very boost happy low end, tap the throttle and it wanted to go

-When the S3 goes... wow it goes!!

-I prefer the "DSG Fart" of my old car, this sounds very tin canny in my opinion.... still nice!

-I was expecting the noise to be a bit louder on full throttle with standard exhaust

-Old car did not have quattro.... and wow does it work! Quattro is amazing! When the old car would understeer BADLY, this thing is like glue!

-In eco or comfort the steering is no way near as light as the old A3, I would prefer it being lighter for everyday use and individual being as is

-The rear seating has less room than my 2013 yaris!! (wow how that yaris is such a car for a ****** yaris!!!)

Overall I am very happy with the car, I have always dreamt of an S3 but when I went from a MY2000 Merc A-class to the A3, it felt more satisfying and much more of an upgrade from my 8PA A3 to a 8V saloon S3. It is quick though but not scarey quick, the power is manageable and for the road, it is like glue (I am sure on a track u can get it out! If you do on public roads 1) you're going way too fast, 2) you have poor tyres, or 3) the roads are very icy). ...I have managed to get it out a bit but I was trying hard to get it to slide!

Had my 1st weekend of fun/thrashing it... now to take it nice and steady and enjoy it without abusing it!

PS... wow does it look so FIT!! So sexy!