Buying advice

TheBlade

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m a new member here although have been a lerking for about a year now! The Audi RS3 has been my dream car for a very long time and now I’m in posistion to afford one.

One has come up for sale in my area via a private seller. I don’t have anything against private sellers it’s just I’ve never been through that process. Any cars I’ve bought or traded have been through a dealership. The car is sept 2017 (so there is about 1.5 years of Audi warranty left) with all the extras except the pana roof. It has 9000 miles and it is currently on it’s 3rd owner. Price £40,500

Would the amount of owners put you off? I have been in contact with the seller and they said the cars 2nd owner bought it from Audi with 500miles on it. Then he bought it when there was 8000 miles on it and now he is selling because his wife doesn’t like it. All documentation is there to support this apparently.

I’m just obviously very cautious. I don’t want to jump the gun especially with this amount of money. Would greatly appreciate any input! I’ll then take it from there and see if about organising to see the car.

Thanks

Sounds no different to mine and wouldn’t be worried about it at all. I bought mine at 9500 miles.

Just check that, like mine it has full documented history with receipts. Should all be on Audi servers too, so customer services should be able to pdf the details to you.

Also check history with the supplying dealer as through them you can find additional information. For example I found my car had a tracker fitted and I could activate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! Excuse my stupidity but what do you mean it should all be on Audi servers? The fact that it’s still under warranty or the sale from the dealership to the 2nd owner? The 3rd and current owner bought it private from the 2nd owner.

If I do buy it and when I come to resale and I’m already the 4th owner that will surley push the value down a good bit more.

Cheers guys just really wanting to make sure! I’m happy to wait if it’s not perfect.

When a service, or warranty work is completed you don't get a stamp in a book anymore. It's all stored on Audi central servers.
Even when you go to a quality independent like say Awesome Gti, they have access to those servers to update the record as long as you used proper spec parts. So you can check it's history by calling VW UK and asking for a PDF of the service record. Or ask a dealer.

I personally don't count Audi as an owner as they have to register cars for all sorts of reasons e.g sales targets or demo cars which are usually quite high spec. Due to that there are usually deals to be had on price so they sell quick. If it had 5 or more owners by 30k miles I'd be put off.

However, having said that, buy an RS3 because you love it and want to drive it. Not for what it's resale value is going to be for the next owner. Someone could drive into you tomorrow and it would have to be repaired and repainted and that could dissuade a subsequent buyer way more. Or what if, like me you fall in love with a Dutch girl and decide to drive to Europe a few times and put miles on the car. How much control do you have over that?. Worry for nothing in my opinion. :)

Ah yes I understand now! Thanks for that! I know I’m kinda like let’s do this you only live once! Then you hear all these rumours about fuel prices depending on brexit etc. It’s just natural to be cautious with these huge commitments I guess.

Buy on condition, spec and mileage.

Number of owners at that level (ie 3 in 18 months ) is fine. Its very common when you start to look at performance cars that the cars change hands more frequently than run of the mill models so dont let that put you off. As an example in the Porsche, Ferrari circles its very common for cars to have 3+ ownes in a year or two.

Spec and milage makes the biggest difference to price on these cars, plenty about with what people call poverty spec. So just make sure its got what you want on it. Small items like extended leather can make a nice difference to the interior.

Popular items are

Super sports seats
B&O sound
Sports Exhaust
Red brake calipers
Upgraded alloys with staggered wheel set up ( wider at front than rear )
Pano Roof
Reversing Camera
Folding Wing Mirrors

2017 cars onwards have the Virtual Cockpit and lighter improved engine which is very nice.

Service records are all digital these days, so its stored on Audi mainframes and accessible by dealers when you give them the key or VIN number.

If you can get an inspection on the car or have someone with VCDS chexk it out for error codes and no. of launches that can be very useful as well.

Where are you based ?

Happy hunting
Jungle

Thank you for all that advice!

The only thing the car doesn’t have is pana roof and I’m sure it doesn’t have reversing camera judging by the pics. Comparing prices with similar specs/miles nationwide this is the best value for sure.

Insurance is around £650 which isn’t bad I think. This would be my daily and I cover no more than 8k a year.

I’m based in Northern Ireland.

Reactions: illingworth22
I think people are put off by the start up noise my wife included, so I got her a C1 and put the Rs3 in garage

I think people are put off by the start up noise my wife included, so I got her a C1 and put the Rs3 in garage
I love the start up. But I do also wish it had the option of a quieter start. For example, when leaving a clients house. Or funerals!

Last edited:
Just had some more contact with the seller. The car hasn’t had any service. It only has 9000 miles but surley it should of had a service once it was 1 year old?

Walk away mate. 2 years old and no service? Not even the initial inspection service for an oil change ? On such an expensive car?
What else has been neglected?

Yea that’s what I was thinking! I’m kinda glad that I can put to the back of my mind now. Shame it was nice spec and not many rs3’s pop up over here. Need to remain patient

Thanks for the help guys really aprreciate it!

Walk away mate. 2 years old and no service? Not even the initial inspection service for an oil change ? On such an expensive car?
What else has been neglected?

It's not entirely unfeasible. Mine is over a year old and has done 14000 miles and its saying there is another few months and 3000 miles left before it needs servicing. I'm ignoring this and it's due in next week for a full service.

As long as everything is in order with the car, he should still go view it IMO.

Reactions: sve170
I love the start up. But I do also wish it had the option of a quieter start. For example, when leaving a clients house. Or funerals!
AVC, valves shut in comfort ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Just had some more contact with the seller. The car hasn’t had any service. It only has 9000 miles but surley it should of had a service once it was 1 year old?
Every 9k miles or annual is what it should be. I'd be nervous if owners are scrimping on servicing!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS3 S. and sve170
If the car is set to long service intervals, isn't it based on how the car is driven - i.e. the car will tell you when it's due - which I thought could be up to 18 months or 18k miles? In which case if it is a Sep 2017 car, it will be due a service in Mar 2019 at the latest? You can pull this up on the MMI screen - days/miles to next service or oil change.

Reactions: Marshy
If the car is set to long service intervals, isn't it based on how the car is driven - i.e. the car will tell you when it's due - which I thought could be up to 18 months or 18k miles? In which case if it is a Sep 2017 car, it will be due a service in Mar 2019 at the latest? You can pull this up on the MMI screen - days/miles to next service or oil change.

I thought it was up to 24 months?! but either way... as you’ve said mate, just have a look on the cars MMI screen and you’ll find out what it’s been set too etc

Performance cars should be serviced once a year, and not on a long life service.

I must be the only one who would be put off by 3 owners in 18 months. Yes, people buy these cars and then realise that the running costs (on top of the monthlies) are more than they expected. But 3 owners all in the same position? I'd be sceptical myself. Plus, when you come to sell, the next guy will be the 5th owner. High end Ferrari's change hands quickly as people make a quick profit. But this is a go faster A3, and not a Ferrari.

Personally, I'd wait for a 1 owner car to come up for sale. You'll always have doubts over a multiple owner car this early into it's life.

Don't forget the first owner was Audi in this case, I bought mine from a dealer where it had been a staff car, so I was the 2nd owner at only 9 months old. It only had 4k miles and launch counter was zero, apparently was the HR Directors car, who was a mature lady, so it was basically just run in for me

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Oh dear, not sure what that says about my driving style then! First service needed at 14k miles and 11 months. :whistle2:

So the car decides when it is due a service/oil change depending on how it’s driven? Still though I’m little hesitant with the no. of owners. If I was going to be the 3rd then maybe I could live with it.

So the car decides when it is due a service/oil change depending on how it’s driven? Still though I’m little hesitant with the no. of owners. If I was going to be the 3rd then maybe I could live with it.
If you're not sure then don't buy it. It's a huge amount of money and a big purchase. You need to be 100% happy.

Nothing exciting, something for around 30k then put rest towards a house
Ah, you'reat that stage of your life. I remember for the same reason when I had to downgrade to a clapped out Peugeot 307 for over a year...was strangely satisfying to own such a heap that I didn't mind leaving anywhere!

Reactions: billymc92, Phil3 and teslaboy
Ah, you'reat that stage of your life. I remember for the same reason when I had to downgrade to a clapped out Peugeot 307 for over a year...was strangely satisfying to own such a heap that I didn't mind leaving anywhere!

My “heap” at that stage a couple of years ago was an old Alfa 147... it was actually a pretty fun car to drive :tearsofjoy:

My “heap” at that stage a couple of years ago was an old Alfa 147... it was actually a pretty fun car to drive :tearsofjoy:
I always wanted an Alfa 147 GTA when I was younger.

Reactions: Phil3

Theyre a cracking looking car... I fortunately mine was just a 1.9 diesel haha! But as you said, nice to just go and park where you like and have no worries... and as with an Alfa, it did have its niggles near and there to add to the experience :seenoevil::tearsofjoy:

P1000455 20150128 2232372532

I had one. It was fantastic. Still miss it

Reactions: D0C and Phil3

Quieter start up? You don’t buy an RS3 and wish it was quieter. I think you might be thinking of buying just to change car. You mention Brexit and fuel prices, again why?
It’s irrelevant, buy the car because you want the RS3, forget about fuel price, forget about exhaust noise, sod the neighbours, go get it and enjoy it.
They really are a special car.

Good luck

It's not entirely unfeasible. Mine is over a year old and has done 14000 miles and its saying there is another few months and 3000 miles left before it needs servicing. I'm ignoring this and it's due in next week for a full service.

As long as everything is in order with the car, he should still go view it IMO.

Mine is on 11000 now, computer saying I have more mile to do, will be info 1st service at 1yr old early April.

Quieter start up? You don’t buy an RS3 and wish it was quieter. I think you might be thinking of buying just to change car. You mention Brexit and fuel prices, again why?
It’s irrelevant, buy the car because you want the RS3, forget about fuel price, forget about exhaust noise, sod the neighbours, go get it and enjoy it.
They really are a special car.

Good luck

Early morning drinking @sve170 ?!

I LOVE the loud start up. Just saying that there are SOME occassions where out of respect for others I'd like to have the option of a quieter start.

*Don't recall mentioning Brexit and fuel prices, at least not in recent months (the limit of my memory!)

Don't forget the first owner was Audi in this case, I bought mine from a dealer where it had been a staff car, so I was the 2nd owner at only 9 months old. It only had 4k miles and launch counter was zero, apparently was the HR Directors car, who was a mature lady, so it was basically just run in for me

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mine was exactly the same, first owner for 9 months or so was a Director at Audi. So you get a well-specced and well looked after car in exchange for one extra owner. Fair trade-off for me.

Reactions: c4pete

Reminds me of when I turned up at my Grans funeral in my Bright Blue Impresza STI. Being close family, I was able to park up right outside the church front doors. Nothing like the loud rumble of a Flat 4 to get so many disapproving glances all at the same time. lol.

And then again when starting up, to drive to the cemetery.

Reminds me of when I turned up at my Grans funeral in my Bright Blue Impresza STI. Being close family, I was able to park up right outside the church front doors. Nothing like the loud rumble of a Flat 4 to get so many disapproving glances all at the same time. lol.

And then again when starting up, to drive to the cemetery.
i had this as well, funeral, scooby, blitz nur spec exhaust. Nice and quiet...not

The RS3 will soon be back on the UK configurator (I believe by the end of this month) as it is wltp compliant with the OPF. You may as well wait and spec it the way you want.