Buying advice S5 convertible

Paul Meehan

Reaction score
Hi all

Been lurking around the forums for a while but now taken the plunge . Currently got a 2016 S3 saloon, which I have had since new. Test drove the new RS3 Saloon as that felt like the obvious new choice but was very disappointed. Didn’t ‘feel’ any quicker than my S3, even though it obviously is.

So looking for something different, hence the S5 convertible. Test drove a sport back and that sounded and drove great. So two main questions. What colour combo do you think looks best? Not quite convinced about Navarro, compared to my Sepang. Also what options ‘must’ I have. Thinking virtual cockpit, Bose, heated seats all round but anything else?

Thanks for any advice

i wish i had ordered the wind scarf, and the heated neck warmers. Don't forget folding mirrors.

Light & Vision Pack for sure.

i wish i had ordered the wind scarf, and the heated neck warmers. Don't forget folding mirrors.

I have the neck level heaters and they are truly awesome. That's a definite option.

The one thing I don't really find useful is the wireless charging, even though my phone is wireless charge compatible, it still has to be plugged in to use android auto.

The advanced key allows you to close the roof by just touching the door handle. If you don't have advanced key (like me) you have to remove the metal keyfob from the remote control and twist it in the lock - not practical

The convertible definitely suits the extended ambient lighting too.

Colour wise, bear in mind the convertible has silver around the windscreen, so a contrasting colour will look good. What about Ara Blue?

Arablue

Thanks for the replies. The neck heaters seem a must but how do you spec those? Can’t see them on the Configurator?

Love that blue Orcomma but it’s an exclusive colour, Kingfisher Blue and I can’t quite bring myself to pay the £2,400!

Interesting about the advanced key. Didn’t realise that.

Thanks for the replies. The neck heaters seem a must but how do you spec those? Can’t see them on the Configurator?

Love that blue Orcomma but it’s an exclusive colour, Kingfisher Blue and I can’t quite bring myself to pay the £2,400!

Interesting about the advanced key. Didn’t realise that.

Had a look and it seems the neck heaters aren't available with the super sport seats (which are standard on the S5). Just optional on the normal sport seats like in my S Line

Had a look and it seems the neck heaters aren't available with the super sport seats (which are standard on the S5). Just optional on the normal sport seats like in my S Line

That’s mental isn’t it!

Thanks for confirming that though

I’ve had the old shape and now have the current S5, head level heating isn’t available on the super sport seats, I had them on my old A5, to be honest the only time I used them was when it was cold, and if that was the case I’d have a jacket or a fleece on. With a fleece on etc you couldn’t even tell they where on because they just blew on your collar.
The wind block used to be included now £300 but if you want to use your roof it’s essential especially at higher speeds. VC is standard on S5. My spec is below and I wouldn’t change anything. Probably add wireless charger in armrest but you can go on forever.

Any questions please ask, I collected mine at begin Dec

Reactions: Paul Meehan
I’ve had the old shape and now have the current S5, head level heating isn’t available on the super sport seats, I had them on my old A5, to be honest the only time I used them was when it was cold, and if that was the case I’d have a jacket or a fleece on. With a fleece on etc you couldn’t even tell they where on because they just blew on your collar.
The wind block used to be included now £300 but if you want to use your roof it’s essential especially at higher speeds. VC is standard on S5. My spec is below and I wouldn’t change anything. Probably add wireless charger in armrest but you can go on forever.

Thanks Tony, really useful. Did you spec any up rated suspension or have you stuck with the standard set up?

I don't have the windbreaker and at 70 with the roof down and the windows up it's comfortably non windy in the front (not sure about the back, but then, the windbreaker is in lieu of back seats anyway.

I agree re the collar blocking the heated neck rests, although on cold days I use them even with the roof up as well as the heated seats, as the heat is instant (electric) rather than using the coolant/waiting for the engine to warm up.

If you’ve never used the wind block you wouldn’t believe the difference. It’s about 75% less windy.