Buying advice needed please

ChrisUK

Reaction score
Me and my wife are currently looking at getting a bigger car, I currently own an 18 plate Ibiza FR and we have a family of 5 and a dog. Recently when out on trips the kids have complained about the poor legroom in the back of the car and now that we have a dog we have the keep luggage to one side so that there is enough room for the dog in the back (He's only a frenchie so not massive)

We previously had an Seat Ateca SUV but sold it as we felt we didn't need such a a large car anymore, but I think now that we are going on more family trips we need more space, it may have been a bad move.

I've never owned an Audi before but it's my favourite car brand and I am really pushing for us to look to get an A4 Avant. I've found one on Autotrader that's about 30 minutes away from me and it looks like a great price for the car and it's miles covered, but i'm after a second opinion please.

https://www.topcarsales.co.uk/used-AUDI-A4 AVANT-Huddersfield-Yorkshire-2330773

Personally I’d want an S Line with a Tech Pack, but if you’re not fussy that does look like a good price.

Recommend a test drive in the 1.4l engine though - some people like it, some don’t.

Personally I’d want an S Line with a Tech Pack, but if you’re not fussy that does look like a good price.

Recommend a test drive in the 1.4l engine though - some people like it, some don’t.
I agree, S-Line with tech pack minimum for me. I'd also go for an automatic!

I'd recommend a bit of a bigger engine. I think the car will be a bit lousey to drive fully loaded with the family.

I would check out who that one owner was first. The car is pretty basic though and one with more options would not cost a great deal more. As stated, you might wish to road test a 1.4 & 2.0 back to back and see how you feel. The 1.4 is a great engine, and many here have said good things about it, however you may find the extra grunt of the 2.0l better...

Reactions: Kondax
I had lots of Seats before ending up at Audi myself with a VW Golf in between.

This review would be an awful lot longer if that link was to an automatic but as it's a manual I'll keep it brief.

My advice would be to check what equipment it has. Coming from Seat's you may be surprised how little it has compared to what you take for granted normally. Mine is a absolute basic Sline and it's got nothing I'd expect of a car that was £37,000 new.

Things like electric folding mirrors, I thought all cars had them, not in an Audi!
Decent storage? Not Audi, theres an optional extra for that.

Reactions: mister.c.
Tbh the only thing the seat has over this is likely ambient lighting and folding mirrors, but the car has everything the Ibiza does, auto lights and wipers, Apple car play. I’m not sure my budget could stretch to an s-line spec or bigger engine. The wife doesn’t really want to be paying much more in monthly payments than we are at the moment and the one above would cost about £30 more than what we currently pay. I might have to suck it up and hold out for a bit

What's your budget if I may ask and how are you thinking of financing the car?

Monthly budget is about £220, I’ve seen a few A4 Avant up at about £218, to £225 with a £1k down in currently paying about £189 for the Ibiza, wanting to take the car on a PCP

Reactions: tickedon and cuke2u
I went from a Seat Leon to a 2019 A4 Avant Sport.
For me the S-Line wasn't worth it, and as a "family" car the sport actually made a lot more sense.
The only things I'm missing from the Leon are red interior lighting (was only red or white) and cornering lights. The only thing the A4 let's down on IMO is interior storage, I didn't realise about the storage pack and how much extra it gave you.
The 2.0l is nice to have the bit of extra grunt once you've got up to 70mph, but honestly I was really happy with the 1.4l in the Leon anyway.

Reactions: NevMan
I'm assuming that it'll feel quite big coming from a Seat Ibiza. It surprises me how large the A4 is every time I go on a multi story car park. Just be mindful of that when you say you don't want the Seat SUV as the A4 might still be as wide?

Monthly budget is about £220, I’ve seen a few A4 Avant up at about £218, to £225 with a £1k down in currently paying about £189 for the Ibiza, wanting to take the car on a PCP
I'd look around some more Chris. A 2 year old £15k car on pcp at £230 pm! Mines £256 pm on pcp from new with a guaranteed value after 4 years equal to the price of the car you're looking at.

I'd look around some more Chris. A 2 year old £15k car on pcp at £230 pm! Mines £256 pm on pcp from new with a guaranteed value after 4 years equal to the price of the car you're looking at.
What deposit did you put down though as I’d imagine I’ll likely get between £500 to £1000 for the Ibiza based on current market prices and my settlement figures

What deposit did you put down though as I’d imagine I’ll likely get between £500 to £1000 for the Ibiza based on current market prices and my settlement figures
Taking the Drive the Deal price for a new Avant 35 TFSI (2.0l 150ps - replaced the 1.4l 150ps) Technik (the new trims are more generous, but this is technically below Sport) is £25,001. Assuming a final value of £10000 (it's £11k for a Sport in automatic, so this is a bit of a guess) and £500 deposit, the 4.9% APR for a new car, gives a monthly price of £374 - so your thinking it would need a much bigger deposit are spot on.

If you are planning on handing the car back, or taking voluntary termination, then lowering the yearly mileage with make the monthly payment lower, but increase the final payment...

If you are planning on handing the car back, or taking voluntary termination, then lowering the yearly mileage with make the monthly payment lower, but increase the final payment...
Do mileage limits apply if I part exchange the car in 3/4 years time? Or is it only if I choose to have the car back at the end of the agreement ?

Only if you hand the car back at the end of the deal, I believe also you don't pay a mileage penalty if you voluntary terminate the deal before the end of the agreement...