Buying advice! 3.0tdi S-line Saloon/Avant

barkclark

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm currently in the market for a 2005-2007 3.0tdi. Anyone got any advice/things to look out for/common problems? I have a budget of 5-7k.

Many thanks, Simon

The 3.0 TDI had issues with injectors from around 2004 and possibly upto early/ mid 2006, Not 100% sure what the cut off point is, But beware of this if buying an older car. The injectors on faulty cars weep fuel so the tell tale is white smoke when the car is left idling for a few minutes when hot.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...injectors-need-changing-advice-please.132119/

The only fix for the injector issue is replacement as the injectors cannot be refurbished.
The 3.0 engine also has a small issue with the swirl flaps in the intake, this can usually be sorted with new rods that cost £25-£30.This affects all the range of engines you are looking at.

Karl.

Reactions: barkclark
The 3.0 TDI had issues with injectors from around 2004 and possibly upto early/ mid 2006, Not 100% sure what the cut off point is, But beware of this if buying an older car. The injectors on faulty cars weep fuel so the tell tale is white smoke when the car is left idling for a few minutes when hot.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...injectors-need-changing-advice-please.132119/

The only fix for the injector issue is replacement as the injectors cannot be refurbished.
The 3.0 engine also has a small issue with the swirl flaps in the intake, this can usually be sorted with new rods that cost £25-£30.This affects all the range of engines you are looking at.

Karl.

Thankyou for the information Karl. This sounds like the most important issue to look out for! Is there a chance that a lot of the injector issues may have been rectified when buying a car around that age? I'm suppose I'll be looking at 56-07 plate anyways to try and have the best chance of avoiding this issue! Any other major things to look out for?

Also being a 3.0tdi guru, do you know if the tuning capability of this engine is similar to yours?

There is a chance that a car will have had the injectors replaced. The main thing is to make sure you drive it till it's fully upto temperature then leave it idling for a few minutes. These 3.0 TDI engines use the KKK BV50 turbo which is not as good at the GTB2260 fitted in the newer cars.
Hence you can't get as much out of them but a remap will get you to around 270-280 bhp.Maybe more if you push it.

Once again thank you for the information! I'll make sure to look out for the problem when I have a look at some cars!
Would you say 270-280bhp would be pretty much as far as you could push it for safe and reliable power?

You wouldn't want to go much past 280 bhp with a BV50, They have a smaller turbine than the GTB2260 so will get hot on the EGT side and the actual shaft is quite thin so the turbo itself isn't the strongest.You can always squeeze more but it won't be reliable.

The early cars also had the timing chain issues. Listen for a rattle on start up. Mine ran for a long time with no issues but others haven't been so lucky and it is an engine out job if they need replacing.
Look out for wet floor carpets on the passenger side. This is due to blocked drains in plenum chamber-easy fix.
If it is an avant, make sure the rear washers work as they can also fail due to a pipe coming off. Easy fix.

The early cars also had the timing chain issues. Listen for a rattle on start up. Mine ran for a long time with no issues but others haven't been so lucky and it is an engine out job if they need replacing.
Look out for wet floor carpets on the passenger side. This is due to blocked drains in plenum chamber-easy fix.
If it is an avant, make sure the rear washers work as they can also fail due to a pipe coming off. Easy fix.
Cheers. I heard about the faulty rear wiper on the avant. Quite a common problem across Audi's I've heard. Happened on my cousins a4 avant & q7!

With all the mentioned possible problems above, mostly in relation to the injector one. Would anyone be put off buying one? Or do yous believe it's still a good car?

Still a good car just go in with your eyes open. I clocked up 130,000 in mine, cheap motoring. If I was you, I would get as late a model as possible. I think after 2007 a lot of the problems were sorted. These cars also have the EPB if that makes a difference to you.

Still a good car just go in with your eyes open. I clocked up 130,000 in mine, cheap motoring. If I was you, I would get as late a model as possible. I think after 2007 a lot of the problems were sorted. These cars also have the EPB if that makes a difference to you.
Cheers for the advice! At the very least I think I'll get a 2007 model. I think the miles will be slightly higher for my price range but I'm not worried about that. Saying that though I've seen a nice blue 2007 at 98,000 for less than 7k. Also seen a few le mans models less than 110,000 for the same price!

Don't be put off by high mileage - my 2008 Avant le mans has done 120k, is still going very strong and I've got no plans to replace it anytime soon. Low mileage at this age can often mean the car has just been used for pottering around town in which really isn't good for a 3.0 V6 engine!

I've got 200K on my V6, and it's working fine. Yes I had the injector fault but they were replaced with a used set for a 2010 engine for £500. At the end of the day your buying what was a £40K car so make sure you have a few quid put aside for repairs, as with all big engine Audi's they are never going to be cheap to repair, but if you look around and do your research then you can save on the repair bills.